Diesel Maintenance Shed and other bits

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all. I've been trawling through various www sites with ready made sheds and associated items illustrated and I wondered whether I might just have a go at scratch-building a single (possibly double) road diesel depot for era 60's to early 80s, before shelling out on one of the Bachman offerings (which I think look pretty good).

Any advice re this would be good and also possible sources for reference. I've got Shirebrook nearby for starters and quite a few pics.

Any links from the Forum would be great as it must have been done but I have not spotted any yet.

I've also seen that both Bachman and Knightwing do fuel points. Any opinions re suitability of these for my era? I've only got vague recollections of those I saw whilst shed bashing, some recollection of the basic facilities at the 'original' Laira diesel shed (part of the old steam shed) and one or two part pics in books.

Thanks

P @ 36E

I can ony recommend having a bash (cough) at building your own shed, Wills do a range of suitable materials and the end product will cost a fraction of a ready to place item. That said, the resin sheds are very nice.

I have always thought the old Hornby diesel fuelling point is often overooked as some kit bashing on that woud do wonders, a nice halfway house between building your own and rtp. Plenty of glazing too.

Knightwing fuel points for me, a spitting image of Tinsley's and no doubt many others.

Like most things though, it's down to taste and browsing some prototype pictures will soon make your mind up as to what you'd ultimately wish to have.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mallard,

Although the RTP buildings are very good, there are quite a few of them used on layouts. I looked at these myself and decided to scratchbuild mine so that I could get something unique.

The only observation I would make is that the RTP buildings may be a little too modern for your period and as suggested a modified stone / brick steam shed with more modern additions could work well. There are a few good books with photos that may help.

What region are you modelling as this could have a bearing on the style of building?

Faced with a similar problem in building an EMU depot @ 3 years ago I spent a good few hours trawling through websites visiting Model Shop for ideas on how to build a EMU depot ( I had never constructed any building that was not a just a kit before) I ended up using 3 Cornerstone kits some parts from a Peco overall roof and lots of Plasticard/Plastistruct and glue.

I good few hours work and not perfect but at least I have something that I have built which looks the part and is unique

DSCN6518.jpg

The key think is to have a good picture in your mind of what you want to construct and go for it

Xerces Fobe

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps. I'm afraid my layout will be generic, but it was based by the previous owner on a yard on the northern outskirts of Nottingham. I think I'll go for something along the lines of an adaptation of a steam shed or maybe an early BR 'standard' depot such as Ebbw Junction (spelling?).

Mud... yes I like the idea of the 'unique' building - thanks.

I might even go for an extension to an old steam shed. I'll do lots of searching (any excuse to spend hours going through books/mags/www.s etc).:rolleyes:

Nice EMU shed by the way XF

Phil @36E.

I have too agree with what's been said above, go for it.

I have been really impressed by the Bachmann resin offerings, but they seem to be all the rage on many layouts and £35 for a single road shed and nearing £60 for a double, it's a bit rich for me in this economic climate. I had intend to start buiding a single road shed tonight, but the wife's decided the wee fella can stay up late and watch a movie with her......so trolling the forums for me tonight.

Will's do materials as mentioned above, corigated iron and asbestos sheet material, but I think evergreen do larger sheets of toung and groove, metal clading and the likes. It could be another supplier, I look at so many manufacturers for plastic products they all merge into one.

Best regards,

Mark

Archived