A chassis for the Dapol Pug kit

I'm building the kids a trainset and thought one of those static Dapol models might make a cheap loco. So I bought the Pug kit, made some measurements and figured the shopping list below would allow me to make a chassis for it. It's all pretty cheap except the motor!

Anyone have an idea of an alternative motor/gearbox combination which will fit such a tiny loco? I don't want to use something fancy like the Branchlines chassis kit - that's way too sophisticated for what I have in mind, or for the abuse the model will suffer during it's no doubt short and brutal life. I'm looking for things which are either cheap enough to throw away or can be reused later.

IND		12.5/10 Barclay 3' -1 1/2" (12.5mm) 10 Spoke [PB] Insulated	 £3.79
MRAX/00-pss	Rmfd 1/8" Dia PLAIN Stainless Steel Drvg Axle "00"+2 Nuts	 £0.64
MCRNKP/6	Rmfd Crankpin Set (Pkt-6)		 			 £1.40
MRAXFB42	1/8" Axle Bush 4mm o/d x 2mm L (Pkt-12)	 			 £1.41
4TRG0075	Track Roller '00' Gauge (Code 75)	 			 £3.40
MM-1-0738	38:1 G/Box inc Brgs. [7mm CD] (1.5mm bore steel worm)		 £7.85
MRM16K		M16K/CUB (Open Frame, L=16mm,W=9mm, H=13mm Fix=8mm)		£18.67
Total										£37.16

That's looking like about $80 AU, I'm pretty sure I can purchase a RTR Pug for less than that...

Regards,

David.

• RMweb Premium

It may not be a cheaper option but have you looked at Hollywood Foundry? You're right inasmuch as you can almost certainly get a RtR Pug for less than the cost of powering a kit but the motor can be salvaged for re-use more easily from a kit in most cases.

I suggest that you look at HighLevel Models web sites for gearboxes and motors.

They have a motor planner that you cn print off to ascertain which gear box would suit yo the best.

Gordon A

Bristol

Archived