Emett "Nellie"

Hi all,

Not posted anything in a while, so thought I would share a few images of my latest project. I have always liked the work Rowland Emett, especially his railway cartoons. As a result, I decided to have a go at building a Smallbrook Studio kit of "Nellie". It has turned out to be one of the most fun kits I have ever built. Anyway, here are the images of work so far, there are still tanks, spectacle plates and a few small fittings to fit. I will certainly be having some more of these kits, and feel a small(ish) layout coming on. Might make something child friendly at exhibitions..

post-1099-0-90573600-1310412301_thumb.jpg

post-1099-0-29581000-1310412327_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Andy

• RMweb Gold

thought I would share a few images of my latest project.

I'm very glad you did, having looked at the Smallbrook site on a number of occasions. If period modelling is a whimsical activity by nature, then these models merely take that to a different plane, surely. I think Emmett's railway ideas first came to prominence in the 1951 Festival of Britain, on the South Bank. I was a bit young for that, although my parents went, and the increasingly-dog-eared catalogue was around the house for years afterwards. There was an Emmett railway at one of the Hulton Boys & Girls Exhibitions in the '50s at Olympia, and the sight of the weird locos moving in and out of the equally-whimsical woodland scenery was quite magical. Certainly your rendition of the kit has succeeded on every level, and I hope you will build more and post on here.

Many thanks for the comments. I have many of the illustrations and its amazing how many rebuilds Nellie must have had! Im hoping to order several other kits soon, and also am currently scratch building a station and soem extra wagons. Other than finishing off the tanks, I am currently working on the sleeper train, using some white metal bed ends intended for dolls houses, and also a "fish and chip special" two wagons, one containing a fish tank compltee with fish and the other covered in sacks of potatoes.

Hopefully will have some more progress to show later.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

The final rebuild comes at about 3:30 of this video:

http://www.searchingtoronto.com/videos/ontario-science-centre/emett-machines-at-the-ontario-science-centre-video_0c6a2d533.html

unfortunately, a lot of extraneous sound and nobody reads the documentation provided.

His oeuvre was clearly much greater than I had imagined, TVM for that!

Well Nellie has had a bit more work and is now all but finished, just awaiting her driver. A few pictures taken below, sorry for the not great quality.

post-1099-0-74865300-1310582215_thumb.jpg

post-1099-0-40014500-1310582229_thumb.jpg

post-1099-0-61757600-1310582266_thumb.jpg

Work has moved onto a small station halt for my planned layout. Currently sawing up lolly pop sitcks to make the canopy. I may start a blog at some point for the locos/layout if people are interested.

Andy

Work has moved onto a small station halt for my planned layout. Currently sawing up lolly pop sitcks to make the canopy. I may start a blog at some point for the locos/layout if people are interested.

Yes please! I rather like the occasional bit of whimsy.

'Railway Modelling should be fun!' I can't remember who actually made this quote but this is surely what they meant? A total change from S4/S7/2mm etc etc.

I was recently at the Perth (Scotland) Model Railway 2011 show and it was interesting that the layout that seemed to be attracting the most attention from the younger visitors (and it has to be said quite a few of the 'more matuure'!) was the SM32 'Timpdon Lake Railway'. By not means an exact scale layout but packed with interest, trains running continously, several operating features such as level crossing gates, animated figures/funfair etc.

I too have been tempted by Smallbrooks 'Emett Range' but so far have not actually taken the plunge. However, that might change...

(I maybe should add that I have no connection at all with the builders/owners of Timpdon Lake)

'Railway Modelling should be fun!' I can't remember who actually made this quote but this is surely what they meant? A total change from S4/S7/2mm etc etc.

I was recently at the Perth (Scotland) Model Railway 2011 show and it was interesting that the layout that seemed to be attracting the most attention from the younger visitors (and it has to be said quite a few of the 'more matuure'!) was the SM32 'Timpdon Lake Railway'. By not means an exact scale layout but packed with interest, trains running continously, several operating features such as level crossing gates, animated figures/funfair etc.

I too have been tempted by Smallbrooks 'Emett Range' but so far have not actually taken the plunge. However, that might change...

(I maybe should add that I have no connection at all with the builders/owners of Timpdon Lake)

I certainly agree about the Timpdon Lake - the kids seem to especially love the squirting water main!

I think that the slogan Model Railroading is Fun was pushed by Lynn Westcott when he edited Model Railroader back in the 60s and 70s. How true it ought to be!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm trying something whimsical as a side issue to the main layout, also using a base of either Triang Nellie chassis, or Hornby Desmond, under a freelance n.g. Type of body, similar to the Smallbrook job, only smaller. the one thing I've found on test runs is that they're a bit stop or go, it would be nice to have a slower running item. Is your chassis a stock item, and how do you find it performs? I think some n.g. Modellers modify the gearing?

• 2 months later...

Archived