Mk3 Virgin Silver Mk3 DVT

Stu from EGDL

Hi Gang;

Has anyone got any recent, updated pictures of this forthcoming model. The Dapol website shows the Demo set running round Welham Green in September. The reason I ask is that the black window strip is missing on the DVT. Has this been spotted and corrected for the release of the train packs.

On another note, does anyone know which type of 'generic' buffet Dave has settled on. With the liveries on the streets so far, I would lean heavily towards an RFM!!!

Later;

STU in KNIDicon_cool.gif

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stu,

Has anyone got any recent, updated pictures of this forthcoming model. The Dapol website shows the Demo set running round Welham Green in September. The reason I ask is that the black window strip is missing on the DVT. Has this been spotted and corrected for the release of the train packs.

If you take a look at Burkitt's Warley video (post #396 at time index 8:30) of Welham Green you'll see a black window strip.

I've not seen anything on the buffet other than the original Dapol website comment so we may just have to wait and see. Looking at both Hattons and Kernow's website it now seems that the train pack will consist of the DVT and 3x1st's rather than the originally quoted mix of 1x1st and 2xStandard class, with three SO's to be available separately.

Regards, Gerry.

Hi Stu,

To clarify and important point you raise, yes the DVT does have the window stripe on either side, sloping rather like the Pendo front, and we have also made sure that the back of the window stripe is squared off rather than the MK3 coaches which have rounded corners to their window stripes.

Also as a matter of interest, each coach number also has its individual coach 'letter' printed by the side of each door just above the inner verticle handrail, at the top of the data panel, and each class (1st and 2nd) has the right colour background to the surround of eacch letter too! biggrin.gif

As for the buffet question, yes it will be an RFM, and we are currently working on that version.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave for clarifying that. For once, I wasn't trying to be prvocative, just wondering if the omission had been picked up....as I hadn't seen anything written or photographed of it since Leamington. As I am out of the country at the moment, I obviously didn't make Warley. So in this case, well done and I will probably be after a set when they appear.

Good news about the buffet version too. I think that is a sensible decision.

Later;

STU in KNID

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

Hi Stu,

In fact my spotting of it came about by accident. I saw a picture that i wasnt sure was reflection or not.

However i wanted to confirm the buffet layout and coach lettering...............a quick mail to Robert Shrives found me the ETA into Preston about a month ago on a wet windy 9.55pm arrival.

Walked down the train taking pictures all along, and right at the end was the DVT with window stripe. wink.gif

Should be in shops late December or mid January depending on how we get on painting the 86's!

stay safe

cheers

Dave

and each class (1st and 2nd) has the right colour background to the surround of eacch letter too! biggrin.gif

nice touch!! just need a class 90 in EWS colours to pull it now...hope you're listening Dave wink.gif

i'm very impressed by how quickly Dapol have turned these around (same goes for the Wrexham & Shropshire 67 sets too!!). since i saw the refurbed coaches/ dvt i'd been hoping that someone, anyone would bring these to N.

got mine on order already!! cool.gif

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Hi all, does anyone know when this is due to be released? last i heard was that it was to b eout in time for xmas, but havent seen it anywhere.

Lee

hey Lee,

Don't think the retailers had to get their order forms back to Dapol until 18th December or something like that so I reckon it will be some time in the next month. their turnaround after the forms go back seems to be really quick

Ryan

Hi Lee,

These models are in production right now, but with the Christmas shutdown, and the inclemment weather at the moment (not many staff in this morning for instance) i think they will be finished in time for the end of this month.

However if they miss this date, then in keeping with standard Dapol practice they might get delivered at the end of February instead. (this is due to our desire to keep the accounting of separate invoices simple for stockists and ourselves instead of sending out multiple invoices).

One last thing.......the separate coaches are all 2nd class, as the book sets contain only first class coaches.

Hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks for the update Dave, and the website now also has the pack-shots here

One last thing.......the separate coaches are all 2nd class, as the book sets contain only first class coaches.

I note the website update states the missing 1st, 2nd (sic) and buffet are intended to follow if there is sufficient demand but according to the Railway Herald 184 (page 3) article the train comprises 3 Firsts and 5 Standard Class coaches as well as the buffet - I had assumed rolleyes.gif that the change from the original Dapol announcement regarding the book set contents reflected this, so we would need 2 Standard Class plus the buffet, can you confirm which is correct?

I would love a complete rake of this set so I do hope the initial releases fly out (I've had mine on pre-order since November) so Dapol can produce the 'missing' coaches cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

Being a steamy transition sort of guy i don't normally take much notice of the modern stuff, but seeing the pictures of these on the Dapol website, i have to say WOW! They really do look superb, to me the DVT looks silly being so much shorter than the MK3's but i guess thats the nature of the prototype, i must admit i dont go round looking at DVT's and Mk3s, but the finnish is just exemplary. Well done Dapol, these really look like another winner and must whet the whistle of anyone anticipating the pendolino, dont they?!

Best regards, Richard

They really do look superb, to me the DVT looks silly being so much shorter than the MK3's but i guess thats the nature of the prototype, i must admit i dont go round looking at DVT's and Mk3s, but the finnish is just exemplary.

I'm sure our Scandinavian neighbours will be more happy that their language is so well portrayed..

Sorry couldn't resist ;).

I agree it does look very nice.

Hi Lee,

These models are in production right now, but with the Christmas shutdown, and the inclemment weather at the moment (not many staff in this morning for instance) i think they will be finished in time for the end of this month.

However if they miss this date, then in keeping with standard Dapol practice they might get delivered at the end of February instead. (this is due to our desire to keep the accounting of separate invoices simple for stockists and ourselves instead of sending out multiple invoices).

Hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Ta Dave, very much appreciated, have to say the set looks absolutely stunning, how about a 90 to go on the rear? lol.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be more concise, they are going out to Dapol gold stockists today, with standard stockists going out tomorrow and monday.

get in!! been looking forward to this arrival since they were announced...all i need now is a couple of Pendolinos and i will be happy as a pig in muck icon_thumbsup2.gif

Ryan

...and exactly true to his word, Hattons have just confirmed that my order has been forfilled, will be packaged up and sent out shortly.

Thanks Dapol, this is a very fast turn around and will hopefully be a very popular product for MI enthusiasts.

Regards

Mine was waiting for me after work this evening - a lovely set, the DVT, 3 1sts, and my additional order of the 3 standard class coaches.

I still actually prefer the Farish Mk3s, something about the raised detailing around the windows on the Dapol one (although accurate) seem to make it feel a bit too chunky. The DVT as before is a lovely model however, and the livery is nearly applied on the whole set, except for one respect: the red roof!

It's hideous basically - extremely glossy, and appears to be very thickly applied. I do hope Dapol can tone this down a bit so its not so gloopy and shiny for the Pendolino If/When it ever comes out.

I will take some photos on Sunday when the second half of the layout is down, as shiny roof aside, it will look very nice being pulled by my EWS 90! Better hurry up and finish my 350 now to run alongside! :)

David

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was waiting for me after work this evening - a lovely set, the DVT, 3 1sts, and my additional order of the 3 standard class coaches.

I still actually prefer the Farish Mk3s, something about the raised detailing around the windows on the Dapol one (although accurate) seem to make it feel a bit too chunky. The DVT as before is a lovely model however, and the livery is nearly applied on the whole set, except for one respect: the red roof!

It's hideous basically - extremely glossy, and appears to be very thickly applied. I do hope Dapol can tone this down a bit so its not so gloopy and shiny for the Pendolino If/When it ever comes out.

I will take some photos on Sunday when the second half of the layout is down, as shiny roof aside, it will look very nice being pulled by my EWS 90! Better hurry up and finish my 350 now to run alongside! :)

David

I unpacked my set and the additional coaches at the weekend- I'm ok with the roof, although as with any pristine stock it could do with a bit of toning down......... but boy did they all smell of fresh paint, was a bit scared to touch them to much to start off with in case it was still drying!

As you say looks really nice - I've been running mine behind my 57 Thunderbird - not sure if that is particularly prototypical as I haven't seen any pictures it being pulled by a 57 yet - but looks great.

Guest tony graham

I picked mine up today from C & M Models in Carlisle, Very pleased with them but I do have to agree with some of the other posts on here....

1. Paint is too glossy

2. Paint is rather thickly applied

But one I have to pick on is the warning end yellow on the front is very bright and has an orange tint to it.......

Just need a 57 now to haul it

• 4 weeks later...

I feel relatively lucky that I managed to find a Farish EWS Class 90 at Ally Pally on Saturday to go with this set (as these are no longer listed in the catalogue of avaliable at Hattons).

Although my collection is predominantly 'OO', this is part of my experimentation with 'N' for evaluation purposes, lack of space being a diving factor.

Archived