What decoder in Hornby DCC fitted?

pauln

Hi all,

What decoder do Hornby use in their DCC fitted locos? Is it the R8249 or the R8245 Sapphire. I usually buy Sapphire chips though I probably only use the barest of functionality but I do find the option of it having 8 or 21 pin sockets is more flexible with a mixed fleet of Bachmann, Hornby etc.

I'm about to order the Hornby 4 VEP so is there any real advantage for a basic DCC user of not going for the DCC fitted version (which has about a £15 premium - a couple of quid less than I'd pay for Sapphires).

Views welcome.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I assume it is the R8249 which succeeded the R8215 which was pretty rubbish. The R8249 is the 'standard' Hornby decoder and I doubt they would put a sapphire in without mentioning the extra functions that it has.

I would always avoid DCC fitted. You can then fit the decoder of your choice, whether it be a cheap or high quality decoder that you fit.

Incidentally, some of the Hornby DCC fitted versions use (or used) a different pcb which has (had) a non standard socket that will only accept one of Hornby's non standard decoders

They seem now to be putting the R8249 in newer models, but BEWARE, a lot of stuff still in the catalogue and on shop shelves will have been manufactured when the horrid R8215 was still available.

Unless the model is of fairly recent production, i.e. hasn't been available before, then I'd exercise caution, or go for the "DCC Ready" option instead.

Also, I'm fairly sure there were reports that R8215's were still being used in "DCC Fitted" models for quite some time after the newer R8249 had taken over as their budget decoder (possibly using up old stock?)

Another thing to look out for, is that some earlier Hornby "DCC Fitted" locos and trains used non-standard connectors, with fewer wires and not the NMRA 8-pin plug. That makes a change over of decoder, a slightly more involved exercise than just unplugging the old decoder and plugging in a new one.

I'm not aware of the Sapphire having been supplied in any "DCC Fitted" models as yet.

Personally I think that if they did, it would be a good marketing strategy for two reasons;

1. to help restore Hornby's reputation regards DCC...and

2. to steal a lead on the competition

I'm sure they could do this at very little extra cost and be able to increase the sales of their "DCC Fitted" versions.

n.b. Hornby sound fitted models have so far been fitted with the ESU LokSound V3.5.

Thanks for your replies all. I was edging towards DCC Ready and my choice of chip and you have confirmed that this is the way I should go. At least all of my 3rd rail fleet will have the same chip in.

Thanks

Paul

Archived