Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Hi Kevin,

That class 31 does look good, so does the wagon behind it.B)

Cheers Peter.

Hiya Pete,

The wagon behind the 31 is my attempt at a Sturgeon a wagon that used to be around a lot (probably all scrapped long ago)the model based on a Hornby Freightliner flat, with Appleby Bogies and stuff from the scrap bin.

post-5799-0-24794800-1310538390_thumb.jpg

7APT7 wrote:-

"Your DRS 37 510 photo, is that the ne Bachmann Nuclear flask wagon or one you have made yourself...

Excellent work as always Kevin...

Love to come to this thead to see all your excellent photos.

Regards

Jamie

Many thanks Jamie, the Flask wagon is an Appleby Kit that has not been available for a long time -- But the good news is the Bachmann one will soon be available :yahoo:

post-5799-0-30850900-1310538700_thumb.jpg

And Jamie our next exhibition is in October at Folkestone, another Class 31 a standard Lima one this time.

post-5799-0-04836600-1310538793_thumb.jpg

See you soon

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Very nice work on the layout. I enjoyed reading about it Model Rail. Your Sturgeon looks very nice, based on an old Hornby Freightliner flat you say? Could you provide further details of how you carried out this build? One would say it could have a thread of it's own!?

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Hi Kevin,

Very nice work on the layout. I enjoyed reading about it Model Rail. Your Sturgeon looks very nice, based on an old Hornby Freightliner flat you say? Could you provide further details of how you carried out this build? One would say it could have a thread of it's own!?

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

I never thought that when I built the Sturgeon (I use that term loosely) that its underpinnings :( would be displayed for all the world to see, believe me it is not a pretty sight, if you are squeamish look away now:

post-5799-0-59434400-1310799886_thumb.jpg

As can be seen in the photo above plasticard is overlaid over the Hornby freightliner chassis to achieve the required depth, width, and lenth with foamboard offcuts suitably shaped used for the headstocks (nothing was measured I just worked from photos following the proviso of, if it looks right then it probably is) the brick embossed plasticard was all I had laying around at the time.

The bogies are castings made by Appleby and a simple method of mounting them by drilling holes through the chassis and pivoting them on nuts and bolts, the Bluetack acts as a "locking nut".

Because the wagon is so low couplings were a problem and so the method in the photo was adopted with the plasticard giving a bit of flexibility to allow for up and down movement, but it is not ideal and problems can arise if coupled to another vehicle with a coupling thats a bit high.

post-5799-0-43713100-1310801020_thumb.jpg

All of the side/underframe details are from the scrap bin. i.e. suitably filed and bent brass box section left over from building the catenary gantries on Leaway Park, small offcuts of plasticard were also used, and then given an all over coat of Humbrol Signal Yellow paint if my memory serves me well.

The load was made from old Peco steel rail that I had laying around cut to varying lenths and glewed into place.

So there you are, not for the purists but I was pleased with it when it was finished, its all about having a go and the things I learned whilst carrying out this project :laugh: puts me in good stead for the stuff I do now.

A couple of pictures.

I think that beamer could be in trouble??

post-5799-0-32788000-1310802032_thumb.jpg

Class 158 waits for its return trip to Bristol, whilst Class 31 shunts the yard.

post-5799-0-32681600-1310802105_thumb.jpg

Cheerio for now.

Kevin.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of photos showing some newcomers to the layout, firstly the gorgeous Bachmann 2EPB arrives with a stopper. What a fantastic model, congratulations to Bachmann.

post-5799-0-92597000-1312097329_thumb.jpg

and second a Foster Yeoman Class 59 acting as a staff taxi. Lighting fitted, waiting for name plates and still needs to be weathered.

post-5799-0-39882100-1312097442_thumb.jpg

Cheers Kevin.

• Like 3

That's a nice couple of new arrivals Kevin, any plans on extending the fiddle yard again!

On a separate note, I've been given permission for the Kent trip! As long as I dont go out clubbing on the Friday and Saturday....

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

A terrific layout Kevin, and a lot of fun to operate I should think. Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Simon

PS - very nice 2 EPB by the way!

• Like 1

NSE DAZ wrote,

"Hi Kevin,

Hope you are well, I must agree the Bachmann 2EPB is stunning and she looks well at home at Leaford cracking pictures

All the best Darren NSE DAZ".

Hi Darren,

Thanks for that, I am fine especially when gazing at the 2EPB it has to be one of Bachmanns best, can you not find a reason to run one into Shaftsbury.

A Class73 and 2EPB rest between duties in the yard at Leaford.

post-5799-0-20135800-1312143055_thumb.jpg

pitbull 1845 wrote,

"That's a nice couple of new arrivals Kevin, any plans on extending the fiddle yard again!

On a separate note, I've been given permission for the Kent trip! As long as I dont go out clubbing on the Friday and Saturday....

Cheers

Scott"

Hello Mate,

No chance of any fiddle road extensions, not enough room I suppose I will have to move.

Its great that you are able to come out to play on the Kent trip, its a shame about having to miss out on the clubbing though, you will just have to stay in the hotel on your own :)

Perhaps another playday with Temeraire is on the cards soon.

All is quiet at dusk.

post-5799-0-96566700-1312143944_thumb.jpg

oldlugger wrote,

"A terrific layout Kevin, and a lot of fun to operate I should think. Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Simon

PS - very nice 2 EPB by the way!"

Many thanks oldlugger (Simon), Yes Leaford is fun to operate I just plug the layout in - turn my laptop on - push a couple of buttons and just sit back with a cup or glass of something watching the trains coming and going.

post-5799-0-26565400-1312144486_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

I have been reading this thread non stop for nearly four days now! Very much enjoying seeing what goes into making something of this calibre. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to make the 3rd rail throughout the layout? I am looking at making something in the same period (1990s NSE), and have found this thread a veritable mine of information, not to mention extremely enjoyable too.

In short, keep up the great work. :)

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps another playday with Temeraire is on the cards soon.

I'm sure it could be, just let me get back from Italy first!

Like the look of that EPB by the way, I'll maybe have to get one of those and a VEP perhaps. I wonder where I could store a 3rd rail layout?;)

• Like 1

Hi Kevin,

I have been reading this thread non stop for nearly four days now! Very much enjoying seeing what goes into making something of this calibre. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to make the 3rd rail throughout the layout? I am looking at making something in the same period (1990s NSE), and have found this thread a veritable mine of information, not to mention extremely enjoyable too.

In short, keep up the great work. :)

Simon

Thank you for your kind comments S.A.C Martin (Simon) the 3rd rail throughout the layout uses Peco components (Code 60 Rail, and plastic chairs, etc.)It can be a bit fiddly especially around curves. - the force of the rail held in a curve can be more than the plastic chairs can cope with and so I had to supplement the standard chairs in places with brass rod drilled into the baseboard.

Another photo.

post-5799-0-82532800-1312300705_thumb.jpg

See you soon.

Kevin.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello chaps, just a reminder about the Folkestone Show next weekend, Pitbull, Temeraire and myself will be there with Leaford and look froward to meeting you so if your passing buy say hello.

Here are some pickies of some of the stock that can be seen.

The much talked about 4 REP (incidently those with a noisy power bogie, try swopping the two drive axles around so that the tractioned tyred axle is inner most, it worked for me!).

post-5799-0-72115800-1316859966.jpg

Bachmanns EPB.

post-5799-0-11967300-1316860184.jpg

I'm sorry Scott your Windhoff had an accident with some black paint

post-5799-0-18963900-1316860285.jpg

See you all at Folkestone.

Regards Kevin.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Is that your usual grimy black and wipe it off Kevin? I'm waiting for the season to start and going to take a few photos with weathering in mind next weekend for that too which is why I can't play trains in Folkstone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The much talked about 4 REP

I think you were dreaming aloud there Kevin! :no:

All looks good for next week as I see you've been busy with the dirt, must say the nose of the VEP looks much better with a bit of grime on it.

The much talked about 4 REP (incidently those with a noisy power bogie, try swopping the two drive axles around so that the tractioned tyred axle is inner most, it worked for me!).

I've sent mine back for a replacement now but I'll try that if the next one is the same. I'm fairly sure my traction tyred axle was already on the inside though.

I still like this layout very much. The EPB looks right at home.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I actually popped down to Leaford this afternoon and saw the EPBs and VEP first hand and they look superb now that they all have a coat of grime in all the right places! I might even be tempted by the 4 VEP myself before they sell out you never know when I might need one. ;)

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing Leaford at Folkestone this coming weekend.......and seeing what you've done with the 4-VEP....

Keith

Folkestone yay my town :) hello everybody i just seen this thread reading another thread on NSE

simular to S.A.C. Martin i am building a late 80s and a very early 90s Layout

i have been looking at the thread today with great intrest today some of the photos on this thread

has really helped to refresh my mind

can i ask what is going on next weekend in Folkestone?

all the best from newbie Steve ;)

Edited by Uk_Steve
  • Like 1