Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Ian B said,

"Wagons are looking good mate! If you're interested I could post a diagram showing where the straps should be on the Salmon- got a copy of the loading manual round here somewhere!

Ian B"

Yes I am interested that would be great, thank you Ian.

Beresford Junction said,

Looking good, in fact I was eyeing up the wagon with the concrete pipes on the other day on the shelf thinking how good it looked, and how I might treat myself to some to use.

Phil

Yes the pipes are good all they need is painting with concrete (I just use cement powder mixed with water and pva to form a slurry) and then each one glued onto a pallet.

Another Cambrian OBA this time loaded with a Cararama Land Rover.

post-5799-0-63363800-1349927446.jpg

See you soon.

Kevin.

• Like 4

Hello mate! Having trouble converting the document to steal the pictures but the basic is that the short panel should be sat to one end of the wagon.

Straps should be positioned "within the first 4 sleepers of each end of the panel".

Straps "shall be 7m long and fitted with a stitch-in wear sleeve"- basically a thicker bit to stop it wearing!

There should be 6 blue straps in total along the wagon length.

Hope this is of interest!

Ian B

Hello mate! Having trouble converting the document to steal the pictures but the basic is that the short panel should be sat to one end of the wagon.

Straps should be positioned "within the first 4 sleepers of each end of the panel".

Straps "shall be 7m long and fitted with a stitch-in wear sleeve"- basically a thicker bit to stop it wearing!

There should be 6 blue straps in total along the wagon length.

Hope this is of interest!

Ian B

Many thanks for that Ian I shall be changing mine as soon as I have a minute or two, look out for a photo.

Wagons on Leaford, A Cambrian BDA loaded with Evergreen Plastic Strip coupled to a Lima ?

post-5799-0-98020100-1350898615.jpg

Cheerio for now.

Kevin.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

That Salmon does look good, I have had a kit sat here for years, I might get around to it one of these days.

Anyway here are a few pics I took on my visit, I couldn't beleive how quickly you put a sound chip in my Crompton, it was great to see it getting some use on your layout.

Thanks again for a great day.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-10260200-1351907787_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-32652300-1351907876_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-76416900-1351907967_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 8

A few more, any progress on the NSE class 47. You were thinking of giving it a light weathering job.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete, many thanks for posting your photos, your 33 looks great particularly looking at home with the EPB, did the 3rd rail ever reach North Wales lol, its also good to see that you have all arrived home safely, as for the NSE 47 it is more likely to be sold to make way for the new Bachmann NSE class 47/7 rather than be weathered, but if the new buyer wou like it to be done then it could be.

I thoroughly enjoyed your visit along with everyone else, it is a shame that you are so far away, but you never know I might be knocking on your door one day I promise to let you know first though.

Best regards.

Kevin.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin,

No worries, I am sure you will find a buyer for the NSE 47, don't blame you for wanting the 47/7 they were quite common down our way for a while. The Crompton does look good next to your EPB, maybe my next layout will have third rail.

Well if you are ever down this way let me know, you are more than welcome.

Seeing your Lima class 31 on a Hornby chassis got me thinking about resurrecting one of my Lima locos, could you tell me how you did yours please I noticed it had lights too did you us the Hornby light set up or do your own?

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Seeing your Lima class 31 on a Hornby chassis got me thinking about resurrecting one of my Lima locos, could you tell me how you did yours please I noticed it had lights too did you us the Hornby light set up or do your own?

It might be a while before Kevin replies Pete, He's on a boat heading for Hawaii!

It might be a while before Kevin replies Pete, He's on a boat heading for Hawaii!

Thanks Ian,

Sounds like he's done well there, off to the warm while you lot freeze. I just spoke to my dad he said it's bloody cold there at the moment.

I am in no hurry anyway, hope he has a great time.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Kevin

Great Photos as always with you mate, I like the Class 47 NSE... I'm taking that as a LTD Edition...? by Model Zone...? or Not... :no:

I like the Photo high up of the 'Cambrian OBA this time loaded with a Cararama Land Rover'....

Jamie

Hi Kev,

Pics looking excellent as usual sir, ment to ask you i've just completed some warflats and want to add tanks / army vehicles to them all, which would you recommend are best to to go on them? I model late 80's to early 90's so anything in that area would be cool :no:

Cheers,

Rich.

• RMweb Premium

want to add tanks / army vehicles to them all, which would you recommend are best to to go on them? I model late 80's to early 90's so anything in that area would be cool :no:

Rich

I know Kevin is sunning himself at the moment but the following is copied from Post#24.

"The Army Tanks are made to 1/76 scale by Airfix and are called Scorpions (No longer in use)although a different gun is provided in the kit which makes them Scimitars (Still currently in use with the army so my friendly expert tells me) again this kit is still available I am told."

Hope that helps a bit, if you look through a little more recent posts Kevin has also added an ambulance to one of the wagons now as well.

Rich

I know Kevin is sunning himself at the moment but the following is copied from Post#24.

"The Army Tanks are made to 1/76 scale by Airfix and are called Scorpions (No longer in use)although a different gun is provided in the kit which makes them Scimitars (Still currently in use with the army so my friendly expert tells me) again this kit is still available I am told."

Hope that helps a bit, if you look through a little more recent posts Kevin has also added an ambulance to one of the wagons now as well.

Hi Ian and thankyou sir much appreciated doesn't seem to be many about at the mo but i'll keep searching now I know what to get.

Do you know if the wagons would of carried light field guns atall? As they look good but don't recall if i've ever seen these on warflats before? Will look for the Ambulance too think I remember that post now.

Cheers,

Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

No worries, I am sure you will find a buyer for the NSE 47, don't blame you for wanting the 47/7 they were quite common down our way for a while. The Crompton does look good next to your EPB, maybe my next layout will have third rail.

Well if you are ever down this way let me know, you are more than welcome.

Cheers Peter.

Aloha, It may have been bloody cold to people who live there, but to us it was paradise compared to England in November.

Thanks Pete, ref the Limby 31:--

post-5799-0-64095100-1353763200.jpg

I fitted the original Lima side raves of the Lima plastic chassis to the sides of the Hornby cast chassis (as seen in above photos) with a bit of fettling so that the lugs in the Lima body locate as they did previously.

post-5799-0-36892300-1353763486.jpg

You will need to file and fettle the cast Hornby chassis ends to be a nice fit to the Lima body.

I fitted the lights myself by drilling the apropriate size holes (I found it is best to drill the just fractionaly undersize and then open the out with a round needle file to get a tight fit) in the correct places in the Lima bodyshell and then fitting the DCC Concepts LEDS pictured below:--

1.6mm Mini Microdot Red LED for the tail lights

post-5799-0-00913100-1353763919.jpg

Daylight 2mm Tower for the Headlight

post-5799-0-69778000-1353764047.jpg

Red/White 3 lead 2mm Tower for the headcode marker lights. (you only need to connect the white side of the LED)

post-5799-0-68968000-1353764219.jpg

I use 3 strips of copper clad sleeper cut to suitable lenths and glued to the inside of the body to act as distribution boards one White, one Yellow, and one Blue as supplied from the DCC chip function wires, do not forget fit the resistors to the leds or you will have a few fried.

post-5799-0-27514400-1353765266.jpg

The finished model with tail lights showing.

post-5799-0-65589600-1353765779.jpg

...and with head and marker lights showing.

post-5799-0-54293000-1353765868.jpg

As can be seen it is to my normal "bodge it as I go along" method of doing things, but at least there is no brick moulded plasticard with this one.

to APT7 thankyou for your kind comments and yes the NSE 47 is the Modelzone Ltd edition one.

to Richard60098 I cannot recall seeing warflats carrying light field guns either in a picture or for real, but I suppose they could be carried as long as they were in guage, I am sure someone far more informed than us could tell us differently.

and finally to Temeraire my thanks for keeping things running whilst I was away.

See you soon.

Kevin

• Like 7

Hi Kevin,

Hope you had a great holiday, thanks for the info on the class 31 I bought my Powercab from DCC supplies so I will look at getting some of those LEDs. Is the black box on top a base reflex speaker?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Kevin,

Hope you had a great holiday, thanks for the info on the class 31 I bought my Powercab from DCC supplies so I will look at getting some of those LEDs. Is the black box on top a base reflex speaker?

Cheers Peter.

Hello Pete,

Yes we had a fantastic time thanks, the only things is those grass skirts dont half itch :scratchhead: I am sure that you will be pleased with your Powercab welcome to the world of DCC, If I can assist in anyway with setup of chips or anything else then please ask, yes the black box is indeed a base reflex speaker, a great improvement on the one that comes standard with the ESU soundchips, unfortunately their size precludes fitting in some locos due to lack of space but similar smaller types are available though.

Cheerio for now

Kevin.

Thanks Kevin,

I am sure I will be asking for your help, I have managed to program some locos and wire the Powercab to the layout. As for setting CVs to improve how the sound locos perform I haven't done that yet. I only have a few Bachmann sound locos at the moment, any tips. My Hornby class 31 has an annoying fan noise, can that be turned off?

I think I will invest in some base reflex speakers and some reblows.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Kevin,

I am sure I will be asking for your help, I have managed to program some locos and wire the Powercab to the layout. As for setting CVs to improve how the sound locos perform I haven't done that yet. I only have a few Bachmann sound locos at the moment, any tips. My Hornby class 31 has an annoying fan noise, can that be turned off?

I think I will invest in some base reflex speakers and some reblows.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Pete,

I assume your loco is a fitted with Hornbys own soundchip therefore the speed should be the same as below as I am sure it will be fitted with an ESU chip but I do not know if the sound will be, unfortunately I do not know if you are able to turn the fan noise off perhaps a reblow would be in order.

I have been faffing around with a Howes ESU V4 for a friends Hornby Class 31 and these are the ideal settings for me on Leaford, Start speed 001, Max speed 240, Mid speed 90, Acc rate 075, Dec rate 025 if it is not fast enough just increase the max speed and mid speed by the same amount, if too fast decrease the same.

Always take note of the original settings so you can return to them if things do not go as planned, if you use the programme track the Powercab will tell you the CV numbers as you go before you change them, Another thing you can do with the ESU V4 is to programme cv 54 to 0 and then enter - hold onto the loco and then press 1 - the loco takes off momentarily but is then a lot smoother and possibly slower after but this is a good place to start experimenting with your speed cv's.

I hope that all of this helps, let us know how you get on.

Kevin.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shed Asked?

Kevin,
Can I ask how you couple your wagons please?
Cheers

ess1uk replied

I may be wrong, but they look like tension lock couplers that I can see on some of the photos

In truth many different couplings are used, including tension lock - what used to be mainline and the more modern offerings from Bachmann and Hornby, Kadees are useful for certain types of rolling stock, to be honest non-standard coupling heights and couplings are the biggest cause of derailments encountered and is is well worth spending extra time fiffing and faffing to get them right.

thanks guys.

Kevin.

By the way shed congratulations :yahoo:

• Like 2

In truth many different couplings are used, including tension lock - what used to be mainline and the more modern offerings from Bachmann and Hornby, Kadees are useful for certain types of rolling stock, to be honest non-standard coupling heights and couplings are the biggest cause of derailments encountered and is is well worth spending extra time fiffing and faffing to get them right.

thanks guys.

Kevin.

By the way shed congratulations :yahoo:

Er thanks, but what for?