Atso-Cad Models

Atso

Hi all,

Having spend several years playing around with CAD and 3D printing I feel the time has come to offer some of my N gauge models to anyone interested. At present I have two designs which are in the final development phase. These are an LNER Bogie Brick Wagon and LNER D.120 4 Wheel Full Break (the infamous 'Pigeon Van'). I plan to offer the Bogie Brick Wagon as a 3D print directly from Shapeways but the 'Pigeon Van' will most likely be offered as a resin/white metal kit.

Kits will intially focus on LNER prototypes as this is my own personal area of interest (expertise?!!)but I will be looking to expand into other companies stock should the interest in the initial models warrant it.

For the moment a couple of pictures:

post-943-0-47344800-1310988985_thumb.jpg

The initial 3D print of the Bogie Brick Wagon which requires some modest adjustments.

post-943-0-15091500-1310989100_thumb.jpg

The final design pass of the Bogie Brick Wagon

post-943-0-83008400-1310989380_thumb.jpg

Current development of the D.120 Van

Comments and interest would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

Having spend several years playing around with CAD and 3D printing I feel the time has come to offer some of my N gauge models to anyone interested. At present I have two designs which are in the final development phase. These are an LNER Bogie Brick Wagon and LNER D.120 4 Wheel Full Break (the infamous 'Pigeon Van'). I plan to offer the Bogie Brick Wagon as a 3D print directly from Shapeways but the 'Pigeon Van' will most likely be offered as a resin/white metal kit.

Kits will intially focus on LNER prototypes as this is my own personal area of interest (expertise?!!)but I will be looking to expand into other companies stock should the interest in the initial models warrant it.

For the moment a couple of pictures:

post-943-0-47344800-1310988985_thumb.jpg

The initial 3D print of the Bogie Brick Wagon which requires some modest adjustments.

post-943-0-15091500-1310989100_thumb.jpg

The final design pass of the Bogie Brick Wagon

post-943-0-83008400-1310989380_thumb.jpg

Current development of the D.120 Van

Comments and interest would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Steve

They look great, I'd epecially like a few of the Pigeon Van kits.

Also, out of interest can I ask whether you still plan to produce the K3 kit, I have a V2 chassis (and Union Mills tender-drive) ready and waiting!

Regards

Roy

Wow thanks for the responses guys and girls!

Captain Electra, thank you I though it was about time I stopped playing with this and did something with these designs (why let you have all the fun!!!).

Richard, I can confirm the Pigeon Van (D.120 Van for the purists!) will have hollow windows and hopefully a clear cast flush glazing strip (if I can get that to work!).

Charlie, as Craig said both these models are available in OO but not in N.

Roy, I've still got unresolved problems with the K3 design getting an acceptable compromise to fit onto the V2 chassis - might be one for release in the future though...

• RMweb Premium

Wow thanks for the responses guys and girls!

Richard, I can confirm the Pigeon Van (D.120 Van for the purists!) will have hollow windows and hopefully a clear cast flush glazing strip (if I can get that to work!).

That's great news Steve, any idea of a rough timescale for their release?

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard,

I hope to have the Brick Wagon available for order via Shapeways by the end of next month (all being well with the design).

The Pigeon Van will need printing and then sending off to the casters so we're looking at a minimum of two months (probably more...)

Hi Richard,

I hope to have the Brick Wagon available for order via Shapeways by the end of next month (all being well with the design).

The Pigeon Van will need printing and then sending off to the casters so we're looking at a minimum of two months (probably more...)

That's cool. It'll give me some time to save up :)

Steve,

These look great! Excellent stuff. I'm certainly interested in these!

A question - will the pigeon van and brick wagon come with chassis aswell, or are you just getting the bodies printed? If not what parts will need to be sourced from Bachmann or Dapol to complete (and are they widely available?).

Another vote for K3 here too - I have a spare V2 also looking for a use..... :yes:

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the positive comments guys! :D

With regards to the Pigeon Van the kit will include the following cast parts:

- Resin Coach Body

- Resin Chassis

- Resin NEM pockets

- Clear resin flush glazing

- White metal buffer, vac cylinders and dynamo

The kit has been designed to use Farish coach wheels and couplings which are readily available as spares.

Thank you for the continued interest in the K3. The main problem is how to get the body height down to an acceptable level using the V2 chassis. At the moment the buffers are almost a scale foot too high. I'm thinking that the only way around this is to lower the front and rear running plate slightly and deepen the buffer beam to lower the buffers. This will still result in the body being too high but I don't see how to change that as the mid section of the running plate needs to clear the valve gear and wheels. The picture below demonstrates the problem...

post-943-0-71468000-1311358147_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-66669800-1311358221_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions on this would be most appreciated...

• RMweb Premium

The only way that I can see of resolving that issue is to create some new cylinder blocks. How practical that is I don't know, it will depend on the space that is needed to make the farish mech work. Once this is done you will still have issues with the upper rocker bit (don't know the correct techy term). Shame as the body looks lovely.

Any suggestions on this would be most appreciated...

If the V2 valve gear and cylinders were lowered (a conversion for V2 aswell to be more accurate) this could gain you at least 1mm of body lowering, which could help a lot. Can give more on this if you want by PM.

Is the body sitting a bit far forward in those snaps? Looks a bit strange with regard the positioning of the front bogie.

Was there any thought of including a replacement chassis weight (I seem to recall there was?) that is heavier than the standard V2 one to get the most out of the chassis?

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not sure how feasable the cylinder, valve gear modifications would be as you'd need to remove around 1mm of metal from the chassis as well. While a few people would happily do this I would think most would not which wouldn't help kit sales... The original concept was to provide a replacement body which needed minimal chassis mods to fit.

Al, please let me know how you lowered your V2 as it might be possible with the K3...

That van looks lovely. I shall be interested to see how it comes out in production.

You had me worried for a moment when I saw the first image but fortunately the tester on my bench right now is a Thompson BZ not the older LNER vans !

• 1 month later...

Nice work, and well done on persevering and getting this to the open market.

Can I ask here what is the time frame for running this coach, also what regions would it have reached.

Would really like one but just wondering if it would suit a mid 1960s scottish borders/edinburgh based layout?

Millerhillboy, off the top of my head these were originally built for the GE section but due to their nature could be found all over the system. I'll double check that once I find my reference book. If I'm wrong rule 1 can always apply!!! :no:

Right everyone, one last look at the Pigeon Van along with all its cast components as hopefully it will be with the casters by Friday afternoon! I've still got the etched bits to sort out, break gear items mainly. I should be sending off of the test etches next week.

post-943-0-75348800-1315347848_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-46252200-1315347869_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-89164300-1315347883_thumb.jpg

Archived