Freemo in the UK?

We've not specifically planned anything else yet - but potentially we could do something similar a couple of times a year if we're happy with how it goes - we'd always seen the modules as having the potential to do this kind of thing, but it's a bit of an experiment this time! ;)

Would be good to see you if you can make it Trevor! :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry Martyn,will not be able to make it on Saturday ....have just come out of hospital after an unexpected amount of surgery :O !!!.... all seems to have gone ok but not really in a fit state to travel any long distances at the moment...hope I can catch the Freemo somewhere else soon ..

Regards Trevor..... :sungum:

Just got back from this meet and had a great time. I'm just getting into the US scene and it was only my second time at a meet like this. I managed to become a conductor on one of the operating crews by inadvertantly standing near Martyn when he was looking for one!

What followed was the best part of three hours totally captivating activity, switching the main yard, running a local, then switching the destination location and running back to the main yard. The operating sequence we were following as one of three(?) crews was one and a quarter pages of A4, so I can only guess at the amount of planning that goes into an event like this. So a big thank you to the RS Tower crew and the Western Union group for putting on a superb event. I'm not particularly impressed by the way some model railways are operated, as you may guess from my username I do it for a living with full size trains, but these groups do it very well indeed and I hope to take part again in the future.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter, really glad you enjoyed it, in fact everyone I spoke to seemed to be enjoying themselves and it was great to see so many there.

One of the things we were testing for the first time was JMRI Ops, which was the programme producing your switch lists, I think it worked very well and whilst there was a lot of setup before the event it was very easy to administer on the day and seemed to be fairly well understood by the crews, I think we'll be using that again.

Right, i'm whacked! Night all. :)

This was the arrangement - the plan in JMRI Ops was for one track in Dale to be 'staging' the rest as Dale Yard - there were 3 locals based out of Dale, to Golden, Alpha and Jonesville - a departing train would then swap any cars in Dale Yard that were needed, head out to it's destination to switch, back at Dale it would drop any cars for interchange and then put the rest of the train back into Staging.

post-6762-0-69137300-1330895513_thumb.jpg

Two from near the end of morning setup, just before we started putting freightcars out:

Dale yard on the left, Jonesville is behind the pillar, Fort Ross (which we worked as part of Jonesville on the day) to the right of that - Golden is behind that.

post-6762-0-98991500-1330891620_thumb.jpg

Mel Rogers is just doing a minor track tweak between the Alpha and Emmery Cut modules. Emmery Cut with it's crossover allowed trains to run-round at Alpha. Keith Webb looking on.

post-6762-0-62246500-1330891646_thumb.jpg

Engineer (Gareth Bayer) and conductor (Iain Bell? - might have the surname wrong, apologies if so!?) on the Alpha local switch their namesake town with a pair of BN geeps

post-6762-0-06405100-1330895633_thumb.jpg

Clicking on the pics should get you a big version

Looking from Rockwood Depot, Golden is on the left, towards the right is Jonesville (with the wooden elavator) and Fort Ross beyond.

post-6762-0-14765200-1330896046_thumb.jpg

Overview from the Alpha branch end

post-6762-0-50938500-1330896069_thumb.jpg

Dale yard - I think that's Steve and Chris discussing their next move in the yard.

post-6762-0-95224100-1330896089_thumb.jpg

At Dayton, the Golden wayfreight waits to enter Dale yard, which another train was working. The loco is Keith Webb's rather nice CP alco (Bowser) (Actually the logging mallet and train posed on the bridge was his too!)

post-6762-0-78506300-1330896124_thumb.jpg

The Plymouth boys really enjoyed the day too, Martyn. It wasn't too far a journey to make, despite the fact that the modules we carried had to be picked up and dropped off ant the start and end of the journey. Just less than a 12 hour day, with lots of operating interest.

Many thanks.

Brian

Chris Gilbert and myself enjoyed the day immensely. It was well worth the two and a half hour journey, especially as I wasn't driving! First time i have ever got to grips with train manifest sheets and switching instructions. Was surprised how quickly a couple of hours went. Thanks to all concerned. I enclose a general view and have one or two detail photos which I will upload when i have pushed them through Photoshop to resize.

post-632-0-95455400-1330940648_thumb.jpg

Like the high angle shot Steve, shows it really well!

Something I forgot to mention till Brian posted, the modules from their Western Union group didn't exist back in November, so all the work on Golden, Fort Ross and Jonesville has been done since then! Superb!

Steve, When you do, can you put some names to faces if possible?

Cheers, Pete.

Pete,

Sorry but I haven't a clue who anyone was! They could have just drifted in off the street for all I knew. If anyone else can oblige, I would find it interesting as well.

Some more images as promised:

Calumet Salvage at Alpha

post-632-0-05056300-1330964566_thumb.jpg

Fort Ross

post-632-0-55168700-1330964508_thumb.jpg

Jonesville with the Local about to depart for Dale yard via Alpha (01)

post-632-0-25665100-1330964638_thumb.jpg

Jonesville with the Local about to depart for Dale yard via Alpha (02)

post-632-0-29617600-1330964657_thumb.jpg

Approaching Alpha where loco will run round its train and await a meet from Dale Yard

post-632-0-36037400-1330964709_thumb.jpg

Sample Train Manifest Sheet

post-632-0-50000500-1330964748_thumb.jpg

HAZMAT Sheet

post-632-0-43618400-1330964779_thumb.jpg

I've added some names to mine, but I think these are correct on Steve's pic - roughly from L to R:

(Please let me know if I get any wrong, names are really not my strong point!)

Left background - not sure about the person facing away (Pete? from the Plymouth group?) but the person facing towards is Pete Colton

In the foreground, with the clipboard (working by process of elimination so please correct me if i've assumed wrong) I think is Peter from up in this thread, just dealing with a minor 'ground fault' I think is Paul Tucker

On the right facing away from the camera is Neil Rogers, and beyond him Mel Rogers

In the background inside the curve is Brian Moore (also on this thread), and on the outside and giving a serious contrast in heights is Keith Webb (in the blue) and Peter Lloyd-Jones (in the black) - in the very back is myself facing the camera in the tan T-shirt, and Steve Smith from the Western Union group facing the other way.

Nice pics Steve! The train in the images corresponds with the manifest leaving Jonesville (and the cars you've dropped are all on the right tracks too) ;)

The Hazmat table looks quite intimidating but isn't too hard once you know how to use it, it's based very closely on a prototype CN one I found on the web.

Nice pics Steve! The train in the images corresponds with the manifest leaving Jonesville (and the cars you've dropped are all on the right tracks too) ;)

Thanks Martyn. It's a good job I brought the right glasses with me or I would never have been able to read the serial numbers!

Archived