Freemo in the UK?

I quite understand. However I hope that like 298 people will feel able to contribute even individual modules, maybe as a trial for new ideas or as a vacation from more long term projects.

I've been thinking about location. Would Carlisle be somewhere that most northerly folk could get too relatively easily? It's within striking distance of the central belt of Scotland, and equally from the south, maybe even doable from as far as Birmingham? And not too impossible from the North East. in a way, if Shortliner isn't able to join in it makes things slightly easier, since it moves our average location further south I suspect!

Happy to try and scope out a venue in Carlsile if maybe half a dozen folk are up for a "break for the border" in 2013!

I quite understand. However I hope that like 298 people will feel able to contribute even individual modules, maybe as a trial for new ideas or as a vacation from more long term projects.

I basically stumbled into this module malarky through not having anything new to take to TVNAM, and realising that the little side-project I had in mind could easily be built to Freemo standards and in a quick time using some existing buildings from a previous layout, and wouldn't need babysitting for the show. Had it not worked out I'd have happily taken a few quid to cover the grade crossing unit and signals, and let someone else continue the fun.

I'm not sure if RS Tower or any of the modules have any invites up north, but the obvious answer would be to commit to building something that could be added to existing modules at a show (subject to it all fitting in), not increasing their expenses too much, and the guarantee your work will be finished in time.

I also think it's a great idea to have a fully working exhibition layout (like RS Tower) that can keep the punters amused at a show, then have a branch line off it to show proper shortline operation, I've yet to see this in operation at a show but have heard it is well recieved as people actually follow the switch job around the layout. Hopefully one day we might see a group up north build their own version of RS Tower to which modules could be attached.

And not too impossible from the North East. in a way, if Shortliner isn't able to join in it makes things slightly easier, since it moves our average location further south I suspect!

I guess it will move the average location a heck of a way south - and could easily leave you and Phil sitting on the Northern Edge! :sarcastichand:

Jon

I can't commit to anything yet, all my spare time from now to November will be taken up by organising my local exhibition and getting my new layout finished (2 invites so far) plus my new, new layout is started which means i don't have any spare space to build or store any modular boards.

Think you need to find who's prepaired to commit, then find a location central to them all,Carlisle would be great for me(32 miles),but maybe not so, for some one from Birmingham (250+ miles).

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Ray

• 1 month later...

Yep, some busy bits in the middle there for sure. :)

Currently I have it working with 3 freight diagrams on the 'ops' plan - a Lloyd to Jonesville turn, a Laira to Dale turn, and a Rawlings to 11th Avenue turn, all 'hubbing' at Dale Yard - that's subject to change of course. Should be less yard congestion than we had earlier in the year as there's a better balance of work inside and outside of the yard plus it can be worked from both ends at once if needed.

We're also looking at some better defined passenger ops on this one, with 11th Avenue having the potential to be a base for regular commuter trains to Rawlings (via Jonesville) and Lloyd - plus the possibility of a 'dinner train' excursion to Laira via a reversal at Dale...

Looking at the trackplan from an American point of view, the first thing I would add is a staging yard, probably to the right of Rawlins. Through freights would bring cars into Dale yard, who would switch them into locals which would radiate out to the branch lines and then the incoming cars would be built into through freights to run back to staging.

If I wanted 11th Ave to be a commuter hub, I would swap Jonesville and 11th Ave.

Alternatively, flip Emmery and put Dale between Emmery and Golden with The Laira line basically where the Jonesville line is now, putting Jonesville on either side of Lloyd yard (I worked at a location called Lloyd Yard for a couple years).

Many ways to skin a cat.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Absolutely :)

Some of what you suggest would be great but won't fit the hall dimensions (I think we're within 6' of the ends for length already with this plan!) - we've done a bit of juggling to get this far! This will be the first time we've used this venue, when we get a bit more used to it there might be chance of expanding through into other parts of the building, but for now we're keeping it simple. Also on the cards is a 180deg turn from the Western Union chaps in Plymouth which would allow a longer run, and lots more different things that can be done. :) Whatever we do I'm positive the next setup will be different again!

Ref freight staging, my current thinking is to spread the load with some tracks at Lloyd, Rawlings and 11th Ave designated as 'interchanges' with outside railroads.

Absolutely :)

Some of what you suggest would be great but won't fit the hall dimensions ...

Oh sure, bring up the wall thing.

The limitations on the size of the layout forced by the venue often impacts the operations.. It sounds like you have a plan for the space you have available. Interchanges will work just as well.

• 1 month later...

Don't forget Broadclyst is this weekend!

Further opportunities to get involved? Well, we've been asked to do something for TVNAM again next year, and it's always good to do something a little different every year - I'm making the presumption that we've the same (roughly 16'x26') room again - if there's anyone up for being involved please PM me....

I think where the Freemo concept scores is the lack of prescription. No fixed module dimensions, just height, end plates and electrical connections. The rest is up to you.

I like the idea of starter kits though. I wonder how much it would cost to commission one of the ready made baseboard producers to tool up a standard RS Freemo endplate and legs...

Its already been done, I ordered 4 500mm x 1000mm Freemo modules from Model Railway Solutions, they arrived as a flatpack kit and i think they were about £50.00 each including tops from memory. I`ll try and get some photos up.

I always enjoy seeing the pics and loved these ones. The new improved Emery Tower is an inspired module idea (and the unfinished fields (I'm assuming) beside the three way point inspired me to consider a causeway module)

11th Avenue has a nice feel to it already and it's good to see a passenger station

A few more pictures from the Broadclyst meet, two showing more of Mike Ruby's 11th Avenue (two commute push-pulls at the platforms on the LH side, and a dining train arriving), a train passing the elevator at Jonesville, Martyn and Peter at the dispatcher's screens, and local freight power resting in Dale Yard while the crew really are "at beans".

Brian

post-14127-0-28834200-1352806762_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-43981600-1352806822_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-04996300-1352806869_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-17516900-1352806886_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-14711300-1352806922_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I can offer laser cut baseboards to anyone  - the pattern will be to the Free-mo N standard to allow easy assembly. I have supplied many boards to the Black Diamonds group for their n, Ho and On30 layouts. 

Regards,

Simon

Archived