Bachmann Caledonian signal box

Ben Alder

Guest Max Stafford

Incidentally, what was the official boundary between the northern and southern divisions. An educated guess would say Stirling but it rarely pays to assume under these circumstances!

Dave.

Incidentally, what was the official boundary between the northern and southern divisions. An educated guess would say Stirling but it rarely pays to assume under these circumstances!

Dave.

Greenhill (i.e the start of the SCR).

Allan F

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Allan, I had somewhere round there in mind. Looks like the standard box design came into effect without any major overlap as all the boxes I've checked north of Greenhill seem to be of styles more akin to the Bachmann model as illustrated by Larbert Junction which admittedly is a little larger but broadly similar in design features.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=9139

Dave.

My Caley box arrived yesterday morning.

Took it down to the East Ham Club last night and everybody was impressed by it.

(Apart from the Sassenachs normal tongue in cheek, comments about anything north of Watford).

Looks like it is going to be a good candidate for detailing.

Guest Max Stafford

I've taken my own signal box in today also. I have to say that it's rather nicely done. It may not have the character of the Southern Division boxes but for all that, it has a rather attractive simplicity of line that makes for a good looking little model.

It would be nice to have some more Scottish outline boxes, the Sou'west in particular has some good looking ones and it makes me wonder what size of run would be required for a commission.

Dave.

• 3 months later...

I lived in Barrhead for 27 years and spent many a happy day in the box thanks toJohn Keith one of the signalmen in the sixties. It does not look like a Caley box as the line was a joint line with the G&SWR. The station used to have two boxes up to the ealy sixties

Archived