Bachmann Caledonian signal box

Ben Alder

Here are a couple of shots of the Collectors Club Caledonian signal box as recently released- I don't think I've seen any images of it up yet- and I'll leave any discussion about it to those who know more about the CR than myself.

post-2642-0-14571700-1311373515_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-08576900-1311373532_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-56157800-1311373544_thumb.jpg

At the risk of being shot down in flames very quickly, all I can say is that although it is a nice model,

it doesn't look anything like a Caledonian box, at least not the ones I am familiar with. The original box at

Barrhead station a couple of miles from me still exists and although the brickwork is now painted, it is still

pretty much in as built condition.

The main differences are the windows which do not feature the small panes as shown in the model. There are 10

vertical glazed panels at the front and 3 at each end.The vertical framing between each of these panels carries

a curved bracket at the top where the framing joins the roof, unlike the model which is plain in this area.

Finally, the windows on the ground floor have curved lintels, not straight as on the model.

There are several photos of Barrhead box on the Railscot website which show the box in before and after painting

condition.

There is also the beautifully rebuilt and restored box on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway for those of us able to

visit it for a first hand view.

I will now start running for cover to hide from incoming posts stating that the Bachmann box is an excellent

representation of an entirely different style of Caledonian box and that I should remain silent until spoken to.

Jim

Guest stuartp

I'm not familiar with Kirremuir but Hilton Junction looks to be the same general style as the Bachmann one, which according to the blurb on Signalbox.org is "the Caledonian Railway Northern Division's first design".

So Caley, but not 'classic' Caley if you like.

Nice to see something Scottish being produced. As stated before, a CR Northern Division design with a few still extant (and some not long gone)

Some pics including interior shots of the Hilton box in case anyone wants to add detail. Note only the Cornton box has the two lower windows. Similar boxes were also at Inchcoonans and Inchture as well as along the Forfar line. All pics taken in the 1980's and will eventually find their way to my website.

Errol

post-3695-0-53206800-1311450550_thumb.jpg

Cornton

post-3695-0-12164800-1311450558_thumb.jpg

Forteviot

post-3695-0-11841200-1311450567_thumb.jpg

Hilton Junction

post-3695-0-07826900-1311450578_thumb.jpg

post-3695-0-43021000-1311450583_thumb.jpg

post-3695-0-61621900-1311450592_thumb.jpg

HTH

Bruce

At the risk of being shot down in flames very quickly, all I can say is that although it is a nice model,

it doesn't look anything like a Caledonian box, at least not the ones I am familiar with.

RM Web contributors who are members of the Bachmann Collectors’ Club will be aware that for the past two years we have been showing members how to research, plan and build a model of a prototype station and the project subject is the former Caledonian Railway terminus at Kirriemuir.

The Scenecraft signal box was commissioned by the Bachmann Collectors’ Club in association with the Caledonian Railway Society who have been involved in the Scenecraft project with us (and from whom CRA members can also obtain the model).

The signal box at Kirriemuir was closed in 1952 after the withdrawal of the branch line passenger services and despite the efforts of many we failed to find a photograph of it. We did have a copy of the rating plan obtained by someone years ago from the civil engineers office in Perth, which clearly showed the position of the steps etc. The box was therefore developed from other boxes in the immediate area including Glamis (attached) and also around Forfar. Glamis was on the main line from Perth to Aberdeen via Forfar and is some 3 miles from Kirriemuir. The images of the derelict Glamis box were taken by myself in July 2000.

Glamis_box.jpg

You will appreciate that there are variations in the type of signal boxes found within most railway companies areas of operation. This particular version is typical of those found in the former county of Forfarshire / Angus some of which had windows at the lower level and some which did not.

The final design was approved by members of the Caledonian Railway Society.

The model is available to members of the Bachmann Collectors’ Club or Caledonian Railway Association for £25.

So far 8 parts of this series have been published in the Bachmann Collectors’ Club magazine. There are still a few more to go!

Dennis Lovett

In my defence, I did say....

I will now start running for cover to hide from incoming posts stating that the Bachmann box is an excellent

representation of an entirely different style of Caledonian box and that I should remain silent until spoken to.

I will now retire to a darkened room and meditate on my sins.

Jim

In my defence, I did say....

I will now retire to a darkened room and meditate on my sins.

Jim

Why? It looks hee-haw like a Caledonian signal box. Approved by the Caledonian railway society, limited edition, only so many models avalible, Bachmann your reputation was not built on models of this standard!

Interesting take on humour there Lochty. :rolleyes:

To be fair to Jim, my reaction was identical. It looks nothing like those southern Caley boxes to which I, we, were familiar. I think Jim was quite clear with his caveats.

Thanks to Bruce for those excellent photos though, and Jim and myself can now say we've a broader knowledge than we did a week ago.

As for the model, yep it looks a decent reproduction, scope for new windows and a lick of paint (from what I can see) to make an impressive model.

Guest stuartp

Sorry Jim, I didn't intend to come across as shooting you down. My initial reaction was the same as yours ("Where on the Caley was that then ?") so I went looking for examples.

Lochty, Jamie & Stuart,

Thanks for the replies guys but honestly I was only joking with my response.

As Jamie said, I now know a little bit more about the Caley than I did a week ago

so that is bound to be a bonus.

Thanks again,

Jim

• RMweb Premium

As an Angus reident, I must say that as soon as I saw the picture of the Bachmann model I thought "That's the one at Glamis!" Of course it isn't - the Glamis one (now sadly completely demolished) didn't have the lower windows, but its certainly a good representation of the style of box common to the CR Angus lines. Two that did have the lower windows were Colliston and Leysmill on the Forfar/Arbroath branch.

DT

• 10 months later...

I think they should do a model like mine! The reason that it was built like that shape was cos the railway and buildings were at a angle and they had to build a signal box inbetween the tenement and embankment. They were at an angle with each other.

• RMweb Gold

As an Angus reident, I must say that as soon as I saw the picture of the Bachmann model I thought "That's the one at Glamis!" Of course it isn't - the Glamis one (now sadly completely demolished) didn't have the lower windows, but its certainly a good representation of the style of box common to the CR Angus lines. Two that did have the lower windows were Colliston and Leysmill on the Forfar/Arbroath branch.

DT

Yes this box is quite typical of the Caley boxes in Angus - however looking at the picture, it appears that at sometime in the past the lower windows were filled in - the brickwork is newer in that area. Although the picture is of the box at Glamis, it is quite probable that the one at Kirrie was very similar, as are many of the boxes from around here. I'm guessing that the Caley must have gone through and upgraded these boxes at the same time after taking over the lines in 1866.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought this might be an appropriate thread to post three photos of the Caledonian signal box I have built for my new layout. The box follows what I believe was the Caledonian Sothern Division standard design. If you can find a photo of Garnqueen South Junction box then my humble attempt is a somewhat shortened version of that style. I used Slaters embossed plasticard for the brickwork and plain plasticard for everything else except the roof and stairs. Serendipity lent a hand when I found a complete moulding for the roof, off an old house kit in the "bits and pieces I might use sometime" box and it fitted exactly. The stairs are a proprietary moulding I found at a show I attended.

I used a Springside signal box interior kit for the levers, block instruments, etc. The frame was perfect when I fitted it but after double checking everything and then sealing on the roof, two of them leaned over to the side a bit. It's not too noticable at three feet though so I'll install it without removing the roof again, which would damage all the intricate brackets which took an age to construct.

Just my attempt at a typical Caley box. I hope you like it.

Archie

post-14517-0-72321800-1346096006.jpgpost-14517-0-72227800-1346096034.jpgpost-14517-0-40930500-1346096058.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

Aye Archie, that's good enough for me. You've done a great job there. Any idea what the donor kit for the roof was? That's always the bit that puts me off scratchbuilding hipped roof structures!

Did you make a jig for the cornice supports? (unsure of the correct technical term!)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

The origins of the roof are lost in the mists of time. It had been sitting in the "might use one day" box for years. I think it might just have been part of a packet of roof mouldings of various shapes, sold as a pack of four but I cannot for the life of me remember the manufacturer.

I made the cornice supports, without a jig, as follows. (Almost as difficult to describe as to make!) They are made from plasticard strip. Two straight pieces are cut to the same size and one is glued to the roof and the other to the wall, making the 90 degree angled pieces. Next, a piece of the same strip is forced into a curved shape by holding it against the side of a round pencil and drawing the pencil up the length of the strip a couple of times so it curls. This is the point at which you have to estimate the length needed for the curved part of the support and cut just a little bit over size to glue to the right angled pieces. When the pieces are all solid the tiny excess jutting out is snipped off using some small, very sharp snips or a scalpel with a new blade.

Its not too difficult to cut all the pieces to the same size and I cut them all before installing any. Any variation is so very tiny it is not noticeable to the naked eye.

Archie

When painting them white the paint needs to be added sparingly as too much can quickly fill the hole in the support.

Archie, could it have been the Airfix/Dapol Midland signal box roof ? It seems a queer dose of Serendipity to turn up a hipped

roof small enough to suit a signal box as most house roofs would be much larger. Did it have wee holes at the ends of the

ridge where you have put finials in?

Whatever the source, you've made a damned good job of the build.

Jim

Archived