Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Hi Bill

Just catching up after Christmas/New Year.

The JIAs look fantastic - we'll have to employ you to provide a weathering service!

You will also have to tell me how to produce the photo backscene. I am waiting for better weather before photographing Par Docks.

Just to let you know that Deviock Dock is awaiting space at Redruth Club (we are refurbishing the Clubroom) before progress is made. I have bought a Prodigy Express, however, and plan to have 37207 running with sound (using the chassis pinched from 37049)!

All the best

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the comments regarding the weathering of the JIA's

Praise indeed as Dapols Weathering of their slurry tanks sold by Kernow Model Rail was well reviewed & I am sure their production batch of JIA's will be equally as good,if not better.

As regards Deviock Dock I keep a look out for progress & look forward to seeing reports of progress/amendments.

Perhaps I'll have to pop down to the club one night when the layout is in residence,

Cheers Bill

Hi All

A few pics of progress,

didn't get as much done as I had hoped as I had an issue with my JIA's derailing as they went over a rail joint where two points joined toe to toe.

The wheel flanges were riding over the rail as for some reason it was too low;oddly nothing else derailed.

Any way,rail raised & soldered back in position now.& all runs fine now.

So spent part of yesterday & today finishing off the ballasting on the 'buildings 'board.

Then it was out with flock & static grass to 'green' up some of the track & yard.

post-7844-0-15240100-1326656607_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-89454200-1326656709_thumb.jpg

The pictures make it look more green than it actually is,but it's certainly an improvement & all I need to do is add a few bushes & maybe a tree or two.

At the bridge end because the lane is so narrow I wanted to create one of those lanes that resembles a dual carriageway for bicycles;

post-7844-0-98310000-1326657070_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-73514400-1326657179_thumb.jpg

I also put a couple of lorry loads of 'spoil' at that end of the yard,just as a filler.

post-7844-0-14523700-1326657441_thumb.jpg

Next jobs at this end are to find & fit a suitable backscene,add trees & bushes & add the fencing to the road.

Also I need to find something suitable to put on the grass in front of the bridge.

Anyway,thats all for now,

Cheers Bill

• Like 7

Hi

Cracking layout :good:

Those pictures are amazing!

The weathering of the wagons is to a tee!

Still following your thread with close attention.

Jack.

HI Bill

Sorry to hear you had track problems, glade it was something easy to fix. It all looks fantastic. keep up the good work.

RAY70B

Hey

Loving the scenic work so far, espcially the foliage on the embankment and around the headshunt! It's all coming together brilliantly! :D

AN enjoyable layout to watch progress!

Regards

Lee

Hi BRCWType 2 , Jack , Ray70B & Lee,

Thanks for all the above comments,

It's great to get such positive feedback

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

Was talking to Andrew from Kernow Model Rail Centre at St Albans today who suggested I look at your post on here regarding your layout and in particular your weathered JIA's and I am glad I did !!

The detail and your excellent descriptions/techniques are very helpful. Wonderful layout, keep up the good work.

Regards

Tarik

Edited by Tase

KMRC guys are great. They geuinly have interest in the Cornish railways.

I live 5doors up from there! So you can guess where I get all my gear from.

Those wagons are truley amazing.

Sorry to hijack thread haha.

Jack

Hi Bill,

Was talking to Andrew from Kernow Model Rail Centre at St Albans today who suggested I look at your post on here regarding your layout and in particular your weathered JIA's and I am glad I did !!

The detail and your excellent descriptions/techniques are very helpful. Wonderful layout, keep up the good work.

Regards

Tarik

Hi Tarik

Thanks for the comment.

I must admit I have found from other threads the descriptions of how to do things most helpful & I hope that by explaining how & why I do things it might help others.

I also enjoy writing about my methods & it also has the benefit of when I want to repeat a project I don't have to rely on memory,as that can play tricks

Thanks again,

Cheers Bill

KMRC guys are great. They geuinly have interest in the Cornish railways.

I live 5doors up from there! So you can guess where I get all my gear from.

Those wagons are truley amazing.

Sorry to hijack thread haha.

Jack

Hi Jack,

No problem with the Hijack.

You are quite right about the staff at Kernow.

As I live within a couple of miles or so from the shop I also spend far more than I should there,

Cheers for the comment

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill coming along very nice you got any plans for any show down in Cornwall this year?

Hi Richard,

As yet no invites received for Penhallick ,but any would be welcomed from any interested Exhibition Managers.

If any received will keep you posted,

Cheers Bill

Great progress...really has that clay feel now...always happy to see some more photos me... :yes:

Hi bcnPete

Thanks for that,I feel progress is being made.

I want to make some progress on the fencing & hope to post some pics at the weekend

Cheers Bill

Hi All,

Just a quick update on progress.

Spent a lot of today constructing the fence along the front of the Clay Works that forms the boundary to the road.

It was almost as exciting as ballasting,cutting & sticking hundreds of plastic strips representing the planks to strip for the rails prefixed to the stained matchstick posts.

I used solvent weld for the first few strips but found that this caused the planks to warp ,so I then used superglue which seems to have worked fine.

Then painted with acrylic paint by brush(obviously both sides ,the back being a real pain to get to !!!!)

Any way a couple of pics to show what I mean;

post-7844-0-37534400-1327268616_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-44230600-1327268735_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-97866100-1327268830_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-55511400-1327268947_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-61228600-1327269034_thumb.jpg

As you can see there is still more fence to do along the front.

I've also got to do a similar fence down the slope from the bridge,but I shall have to find a way of prefabricating the fence to match the slope as I shan't be able to get at it to make & fix as I have with this one.

The pleasing thing is that it breaks up the view from the front & makes it more like you are looking in from the outside,as you would be,almost splitting the layout into sections.A couple of trees/tall bushes will also help the effect.

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi Bill

Fantastic fence work. Keep up the good work.

RAY70B

Looks like a labour of love there Bill!

Are you going to be ready for any shows this year? If so, would be good to see.

Richard

Hi RAY70B & Richard,

Thanks for the comments.

I suppose it has to be a labour of love, the amount of time we put in to building a layout.

As regards showing the layout,I am hopeful that the answer is yes. Watch this space!!!!

Certainly although not finished,(what layout ever is?) it won't take too long to get it to a stage where I would be happy that it would be finished enough to a sufficient standard to be exhibitable.

Cheers Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Long time no post but have been busy doing other things!!!!

However I've now finished the boundary fence,made & added the gates,planted a bit more grass & added the safety barrier between the internal road & the sidings;

post-7844-0-00539100-1329079087_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-56489900-1329079191_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-36220800-1329079289_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-81715300-1329079389_thumb.jpg

As the light isn't very bright in the room I decided that today's job would be to make the lighting rig so that when I do some of the fiddly bits then I will be able to see better.

The rig is made of two decking spindles (approx 32x32mm x 900mm high square section) screwed at either end of the layout.These are removable for transport.Along the top is a3.5m length of ex 25x100mm planed timber cut in half & joined using dowels & an aluminium off cut under the join to stop it sagging

As I don't want mains electricity anywhere on the layout the lights are 6 x 12v downlighters powered by two transformers specifically designed for the purpose.

These live in a sealed box with a 12v lead running up to the fascia.

The lights,bulbs & transformers cost just over £40 from my local 'cheapie' hardware shop (not B&Q or similar),I already had the wood in stock.

post-7844-0-04709900-1329080407_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-09134700-1329080525_thumb.jpg

I forgot to take any pics of the back,but if anyone is interested I will & post them later.

All that now remains is to paint it & the rig will be finished.

Next job will probably be to finish off the bit at the front in front of the linhay.

Cheers for now

Bill

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Bill,

You have made some progress there!

I believe that it is essential for an exhibition layout to have it's own lights. Not only some halls can be dark, I think that the lights can also show the layout off better as well. I also like to see a backscene (but that's another story ...)

Good work and look forward to seeing somewhere in the south west - do you have any plans yet ?

Blimey...that's all come together quickly Bill :O

Once that front fascia is painted it will really finish it off.

Looks like a lot of fun can be had shunting.

Nice work :yes:

Hi bcnPete

Thanks for the comment,there's still plenty to do but it's getting there.

It's got a lot of shunting possibilities,& is certainly fun to operate.

With the shuttle it is possible to shunt & run trains in the background.

Brush at the ready,on we go.....

Cheers

You are capturing the areas very well. I worked in all the Cornish quarries going as far on occasion as Lee Moor,Ivybridge. Great job your doing.

Cheers,Frame.

Hi Frame

Thanks for the comment.

The intention was to portray the area & I am glad I seem to be being successful

Cheers

Edited by treggyman