Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Hi All,

Been a long time since I posted but other things have taken priority recently,but I did have a bit of time today to 'do a bit'.

Something I've been putting off was the concrete hardstanding in front of the Linhay;couldn't quite picture it;also the bit in front of the slurry loader/washer loop.

The upshot was that I stuck a bit of foam in front to represent the road & entrance to the works,painted it brown & then mixed some pollyfilla type filler mixed with black emulsion to give a grey finish which I then spread to give a tarmac impression for the road surfaces.At present it is adark grey,but I hope it will be lighter when dry.

post-7844-0-31943100-1321219963_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-14793700-1321220068_thumb.jpg

The mixture hasn't quite gone off yet,the effect of the paint,but I have given the area between the two road surfaces a covering of flock prior to grassing/bushing it.

The area in front of the linhay was done with neat filler ; I also stuck a picture between the Bulk store building & the linhay as a background to give some appearance of depth,which I think has come out quite well.

Incidentally the finish of the filler is pure white,but the photo makes it look a pale brown!!!

post-7844-0-58023400-1321220702_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-63559900-1321220846_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-09161600-1321220946_thumb.jpg

All I need to do now is sand the road surfaces 'flat' ,fill in the flora (no not margerine but bushes etc) & build the fences & gates .Because the neat filler went hard quicker I have already smoothed that down,so the next job there is to do a representation of the gaps in the concrete slabs & any weed growth.

I'd got to a mental block stage,as well as having other things to do,so it's been good to get over that phase & see a clear way forward,though I've lots more domestic jobs in the pipeline !!! to get in the way.

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

Hi Bill

Coming along nicely - the box looks very much like Goonbarrow and the weathered CDA's are well done too.

Hi Craig

Thanks for the comment,most appreciated.

I really must get down to finishing the 'box since you sent me those great pics of the interior.

It's just I need to be in the mood to do the fiddly bits like interior lights ,the doors etc,& of course getting the paint job right!

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Foolishly looked on Ebay & saw Kernow's limited edition William Cookworthy......As if by magic it appeared on my layout today!!!!

No idea how...

Not quite my era but I'd sort of always wanted one but after they'd all been sold.

Trouble is I'll have to buy some more B R blue stock & convert some of my steam era china clay opens to OOV's

Life can be such a bitch;

Pics below

post-7844-0-00392500-1321477094_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-57175300-1321477193_thumb.jpg

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is I'll have to buy some more B R blue stock & convert some of my steam era china clay opens to OOV's

That's no trouble Bill...that's very good news indeed... :good:

Looking very nice...

That's no trouble Bill...that's very good news indeed... :good:

Looking very nice...

Hi bcnPete,

Thanks for the comment.

I had always intended for the layout to be multi era....as well as current era ,I've got quite a bit of sectorisation era stock already,& although people in orange Hiviz gear would look odd I have a lot of suitable'60's era steam/diesel stock.

B.R. blue era is certainly another option which would be of interest as it covers a period when I wasn't heavily in to railways so would need to research the topic,a part of the hobby I really enjoy.

Cheers Bill

I'm with Pete - the BR Blue looks very nice on the layout.

Mind you whatever period you choose this layout looks superb. I think the weathering around the clayworks and the concreting really look the part. The trees at the back and the bulk storage silo have really helped blend in the backscene.

Looking forward to seeing more updates...

I'm with Pete - the BR Blue looks very nice on the layout.

Mind you whatever period you choose this layout looks superb. I think the weathering around the clayworks and the concreting really look the part. The trees at the back and the bulk storage silo have really helped blend in the backscene.

Looking forward to seeing more updates...

Hi TomJ

Thanks for the comment.Greatly appreciated.

Updates will be a bit slow for a while as I replace the now 'dead' central heating.

Still,at least it's quite mild at present!!!!

Cheers Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Long time no post ,but the Rayburn , associated flue & plumbing now installed & working,so hopefully a bit of time to do some modelling.

Any way ,as a start I have painted the signal box.

I need to make the doors,add the bottom rail to the stairs & add the rainwater pipes.

Anyway some pics;

post-7844-0-99953200-1323293724_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-51496900-1323293828_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-40974900-1323293931_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-38535400-1323294692_thumb.jpg

I also need to sort out the gap in the backscene etc etc

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

Got the 'box nearly finished today.

Made the doors,fitted the bottom rail to the stairs & rainwater downpipe,added signalman & co-worker & fixed the 'internals'.Just one or two final items internally to add,(notice board,train log,paper & maybe the token apparatus for the onward section to the terminus),make & fit the 'box name board & the fit the lights & 'twil be finished.

Some pics ; the first few are with the 'box the wrong way round,ie the side the operator will see:

post-7844-0-45904600-1323638893_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-04293100-1323638997_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-27431600-1323639094_thumb.jpg

The next few are taken from the spectators viewpoint:

post-7844-0-36957800-1323639262_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-25066000-1323639358_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-77890500-1323639467_thumb.jpg

& finally a couple of shots showing the interior:

post-7844-0-54914500-1323639623_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-07060700-1323639732_thumb.jpg

The rainwater pipe brackets are made as described by Mudmagnet in ,I think ,his Burrington Arms layout thread.A bit fiddly to get the sticky tape to stick to such a small diameter pipe but the effect is worth it.

The main windows at the front are a bit wonky but it's my first attempt at scratchbuilding this type of window.

Also there shouldn't be two doors to the locking room; the problem of following a plan of another 'box to get scale dimensions & looking at pictures of a real 'box (Goonbarrow Junction) but building it as a mirror image.

Anyway,at the moment I am quite pleased with the result.... I only started it last Christmas.... Hardly a quick build!!!!

Anyway ,Cheers for now

Bill.

• Like 6

Nice work Bill and thanks for the plug. Not my idea, but 'borrowed' from somewhere!

Does the box have a fire / heater?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the comment.

Mmmmm ,no there isn't a heater yet... must be a tough lot these Cornish Signalmen with the weather as it is at the moment !!!!

Will have to add one.

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Had an hour spare hour this evening so relented & gave the 'Box a heater.The weather has been cold !!!!!

Mind you'd think they'd shut the windows & door!

Also added a noticeboard,magazine & what I imagine a train register to look like!

It's endless the detail you could add : Plugs & sockets,mugs,kettle,microwave,cooking ring,books,hats & coats......

post-7844-0-14721900-1323984552_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-84432200-1323984647_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now

Bill

• Like 3

Hi again

Just looked at the superb pictures that Winterbournecm sent me on post 72 (pg 3).

It really shows how much I've missed out in terms of detail. I think its a case of doing more when I've time as once the lights are in the roof will remain removable but for most of the time no one will be able to see even the small amount of internal detail I've attempted.

The internal colour scheme I have adopted is from other pictures I already had before I was sent the above ones.When Ibuild my next 'Box it will be more in this colour scheme,though how widespread this scheme is only a professional would know???

Cheers Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a quick update;hope to have a good day's modelling later today,depending on how I feel !!!!!!

Father Christmas was very generous,Kernow's JIA'S.... 3 from him & one from my son;all I've now got to do is weather them as I've already fitted my home made autocouplings.

Also I got a Judith Edge 040 Sentinel shunter kit & Tenshodo bogie to motorise it.

I've also finally got around to fitting lights to the signal box.

Pictures will follow when I am able to upload them

Cheers Bill

Hi All

A few pics of progress & Christmas pressies.

Kernow's new JIA's arrive hauled by 60082 Mam Tor for their first loading of clay;

post-7844-0-71862900-1325528328_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-11344000-1325528431_thumb.jpg

They soon get in to work weary condition;

post-7844-0-81575000-1325528802_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-41139900-1325528893_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-85167900-1325529165_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics of the lit signal box;

post-7844-0-66109100-1325529538_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-20027200-1325529620_thumb.jpg

I've not started the sentinel shunter yet as I've had a problem getting the Tenshod motor bogie to perform satisfactorily.I tried running it in but it only runs sporadically at best & very fast,added more pickups but to no avail.

I'll keep trying,but good running is the most important thing to me in a loco !!!!

Anyway,thats all for the moment,

Cheers

Bill

• Like 4

Hi All

A few pics of progress & Christmas pressies.

Kernow's new JIA's arrive hauled by 60082 Mam Tor for their first loading of clay;

post-7844-0-71862900-1325528328_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-11344000-1325528431_thumb.jpg

They soon get in to work weary condition;

post-7844-0-81575000-1325528802_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-41139900-1325528893_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-85167900-1325529165_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics of the lit signal box;

post-7844-0-66109100-1325529538_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-20027200-1325529620_thumb.jpg

I've not started the sentinel shunter yet as I've had a problem getting the Tenshod motor bogie to perform satisfactorily.I tried running it in but it only runs sporadically at best & very fast,added more pickups but to no avail.

I'll keep trying,but good running is the most important thing to me in a loco !!!!

Anyway,thats all for the moment,

Cheers

Bill

Very nice!

and happy new year.

I love the weathering. Captures that 'china clay look' perfectly. Can you give any details of how you did it? Got a fleet of shiny clay wagons that could do with a bit of attention

Hi TomJ

Thanks for the comment.

Considering this was the first time I'd used acrylic paint to weather I am quite pleased with the end result.

I've only once before tried airbrushing acrylics & the result was a solid/blocked nozzle.

However,B954673 tells me that he has no problems so I gave it a go.

The browns are from a range sold by a company called 'Finishing Touches'.As far as I am aware they mainly trade from a stand at shows.I'm sure any good acrylic paint would work as well.

I tried various mixes of water/paint & ended up at about 3 paint to 1 water.This is quite wet & the paint does not dry as quickly as you would expect with acrylic paint normally.

As a base colour I used their sleeper grime.

As I was using a gravity fed airbrush I did'nt put too much paint in the bowl & kept varying the shade as I sprayed different bits of the wagon by adding lighter/darker shades to the mix in the bowl.

I did several light coverings of paint building up the grime in some areas more than others.

A feature of these wagons is where the grime has been cleaned to show data panels/logos.

So, while still wet, I used cotton buds to wipe these areas clean using photo's as a reference.These areas are then lightly oversprayed to represent the inevitable build up of more grime.

As I was doing 4 wagons at once by the time I'd finished the grime spraying the paint was just about dry.

It might have been better to let the paint completely dry but as I'm impatient & was in the mood I ploughed on.

Using Humbrol matt white I used stiff flat brush to dip in the paint & started brushing down the sides.Don't overload the brush & keep it as dry as possible,& mainly brush downwards,only brushing at a downward angle to represent streaks formed whilst the wagon is moving.

What you end up with is a thickish deposit at the top (where the loader has missed the hopper) & streaks randomly down the sides where the rain has run down the sides.The further down the wagon you go the drier the brush which on the underframe picks out the detail & further up give the dusty effect that the clay gives the wagon,which is better than a light spray of white,as the brown & white sort of mix together.(My opinion only in this instance).

The white 'wet' streaks are formed by putting some thin white paint on the top of the wagon & blowing the paint around with the airbrush with just air flowing,NO paint !!!!

I weathered my slurry tanks in a similar way,but used enamel paint instead,the main difference being the far greater drying time necessary for enamels.

If the paint is too wet you end up with unsightly smudges & blotches,not a build up of paint to represent the ravages of nature,

The most important thing is to try it on something that doesn't matter until you are happy with the effect.

Acrylic paint is difficult to remove once dry.

Hope the above is of use,any further questions please ask

Cheers Bill