Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Hi,

This looks like a brilliant layout in the making here. I've enjoyed looking through the thread and will be keeping watch of your progress :) Great work!

Regards

Lee :)

Hi lee

Thanks for the comment,it certainly makes the hard work seem worthwhile.

Bill

Hi

Looking good.....and you can now run a blue Deltic in 55 022 guise with clay wagons. just goes to show anything is possible!

http://www.flickr.co...ond/5778345700/

Sure you can stretch this to Clays???

chris

Hi chris,

Thanks for the comment

One problem...I've not got a Deltic or I might give it a go!

I do seem to recall though that a year or so ago,when ,I think it was Western Champion, came down to Cornwall on a railtour ,it was used on Clay workings.If I imagined it I am sure someone will put me right.

I have'nt got a Western either by the way,so I may have to put two more loco's on my wish list,

Cheers Bill

Western on Clay was (about ) 2002 - I was there so it definately did happen :lol:

Hi Mickey

looking on Google there is also a reference to a working which I assume would be the afternoon Enterprise in 2009.

Any one with pictures of it in Cornwall?

Cheers Bill

The layout is coming along nicely. I work Goonbarrow box so if you want any photos for reference let me know

Cheers CM

Hi CM,

YES PLEASE!

I have used as reference for the inside of the box a picture in John Vaughan's book West Country China Clay Trains plate 58.(There are no page nos in this superb book)

Any internal pictures would be more than welcome.

Also general pictures of the box,for the colour scheme;the,I assume old coal bunker, Calor gas tanks? & surrounding area would be great.

I took some pictures from inside a passing 150 about 5 years ago but they are'nt brilliant,& I can't find them now!

The back of the Box will be on the viewing side but any angles would be great.

THANKS in anticipation

Bill

• RMweb Gold

There is a lot of interest in clay lines and Cornwall's railways in general here on RMweb :D

Absolutely...and if this turns out like your previous project, will be excellent :yes:

Lookin' good so far...

Absolutely...and if this turns out like your previous project, will be excellent :yes:

Lookin' good so far...

Hi bcnPete

Thanks for the comment,at the moment when I get stuck for inspiration I can look at Deviock Dock to remind myself how it was done... not for long

Cheers Bill

Hi,

Over the last few days I've been playing around with static grass & clump foliage.I've used the static grass for small features before,but this time I've used it to cover the surface of a field.

The pictures don't show it too well but the effect is certainly better than flock alone...though the colours are maybe a tad bright.

I have also put in the field boundary fence which incorporates 5 strands of copper wire..I'm now cross eyed... well more so than before.

Probably won't get much done this weekend as it's THREE SPIRES RAILEX The Falmouth show held in Truro...always a good show so am looking forward to going on Sunday.

Anyway,a few pictures of progress: post-7844-0-37601800-1313782284_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-64550200-1313782404_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-49557000-1313782504_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-81550700-1313782603_thumb.jpg As you can see I've painted the backscene pale blue at this end,I have other ideas for the middle section,but more when I've finalised how to get the desired effect... if I ever do

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi

Having ballasted around the moving parts of the point work awhile ago I thought I'd better check that all worked still.

For this job I use a Hornby loco,in this case a '50 & some Hornby wagons,CDA's straight from the box.I find that the wheel back to backs on this manufacturers products are different to any one elses,& although I use track gauges ,if I'm going to get a problem with my track or hand built points then this finds the problem & I can sort it.

Well,there were one or two issues which I sorted.Then...DISASTER...the CDA's wouldn't go under the bridge when one way round.(The side detail is different on either side)

When I was clearance testing the bridge I was originaly going to have the back parapet flush with the backscene.I then thought that it might give more depth if there was a gap.I used the biggest & longest wagon I was planning to run;a Heljan Ferrywagon.It was tight but went through fine on either line,so all was glued in position.

Well I wasn't completely happy with the stonework of the bridge as it is to dressed ie.flat, so I've solved the problem....another bridge will be built.As it happens I could run the CDA's the way round that they fit,but the clearance is so tight that I would be building in a potential problem...any way a few pics

post-7844-0-23372000-1313877049_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-23949000-1313877155_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-52120700-1313877390_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-00685300-1313877493_thumb.jpg

I spent the rest of the modelling time today listening to loud music & ballasting.It's now nearly all done except for the concreted bit for loading etc,so progress has been made

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Damn, that's a real pain! I'f you'd forgotten to test the gauge then fine, but having to think of testing wagons placed on the tracks different ways is just bad luck you've been caught out :(

Shame as I rather like your current bridge face, but hopefully not too much of a pain to replace it. I'll be taking some extra time when it comes to fixing my portal down now!

Progress since my last post looks fantastic! :)

Regards

Damn, that's a real pain! I'f you'd forgotten to test the gauge then fine, but having to think of testing wagons placed on the tracks different ways is just bad luck you've been caught out :(

Shame as I rather like your current bridge face, but hopefully not too much of a pain to replace it. I'll be taking some extra time when it comes to fixing my portal down now!

Progress since my last post looks fantastic! :)

Regards

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply,& the positive comment.The encouragement certainly helps when things don't go to plan!!

Cheers Bill

Hi

Well I went to the Three Spires Railex today.Superb show as always.Too many good layouts to pick a best one,I was inspired again.Spent a lot of money on InterCity's stand 'cos he sells the evergreen range of styrene sections;much better in my opinion than the Plastruct range.

So when I got home & had finished the chores I thought I'd have a go at replacing the bridge.... This is as far as I got...

post-7844-0-73867400-1313958544_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-50475400-1313958654_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll have it finished by next week & then I can get on with the other scenics that I'd hoped to have started by now,anyway .... cheers for now,

Bill

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey - shame about the bridge. Dont worry we've all had those sort of problems in the past. My down platform at Sandy Hill get clobbered by the Silver Bullet ladders, so they have to traverse the yard in the down direction, which isnt an issue really.

I havent had a shift at Goonbarrow lately - but I will get some internal shots for you. The boys are currently painting the walls cream and the wordwork chocolate (what else?) and getting rid of the insipid pale blue that was splashed everywhere a few years ago.

• Like 1

Blimey - shame about the bridge. Dont worry we've all had those sort of problems in the past. My down platform at Sandy Hill get clobbered by the Silver Bullet ladders, so they have to traverse the yard in the down direction, which isnt an issue really.

I havent had a shift at Goonbarrow lately - but I will get some internal shots for you. The boys are currently painting the walls cream and the wordwork chocolate (what else?) and getting rid of the insipid pale blue that was splashed everywhere a few years ago.

Hi winterbournecm,

Thanks for the reply,there's no hurry as there is loads to be done yet.

Silver bullets,yes I had a similar problem with the ladders;I couldn't get them through the slurry loader!!!!! on my Deviock Dock layout

Rather defeated the object of having one,so I had to rebuild it.

Previously I had been running a pair of Electrotren tanks in a spurious Deviock Mineral livery & all had been well.They look quite similar to the Crossfield tanks that certainly ran to Heathfield ,but I don't know if they were used down here.

Pictures below:

post-7844-0-73000000-1314714685_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-63068300-1314715165_thumb.jpg

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi Bill good to see you on here, I have only just found your work, looking great, would like to see it in th eflesh at the shows one day. Tsaw a very busy day at Plymouth exhib a few wees ago, did I se you wandering around!

Best wishes

Simon (ex Bodmin club geezer)

Hi Simon

No,didn't get to Plymouth,I think the last time I saw you was at Carn Brea.I've seen your excellent layout twice,both times been most impressed with your modelling.Also the magazine article & the thread you started recently.

Hope to catch up with you again soon

Bill

Hi All

The Bridge.

Well after a few nights work it's finished apart from a bit of final weathering & a bit of fauna growing out of & on it.

So this is how it looks;

post-7844-0-85402900-1314738107_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-02317500-1314738218_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-84921300-1314738354_thumb.jpg

& now a picture of the two bridges side by side....

post-7844-0-95252200-1314738529_thumb.jpg

There is one positive to have come out of this...I was going to struggle to get the lineside trunking fitted under the old bridge as I had forgotten to fix it before I glued the bridge down...actually I hadn't even bought the stuff to make it,so now that won't be a problem.I've loose laid it;its not easy to see from the photo's but it is there...

Next a bit more scenics around the bridge & fit the washing plant for the Grubby Bullets & make another slurry loading point.

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

& now a picture of the two bridges side by side....

Looking at that last photo you are gonna have a few more clearances issues with the placement of the left bridge :biggrin_mini: :biggrin_mini:

That was quick work...looking good...look forward to see it weathered...

• RMweb Gold

Looking at that last photo you are gonna have a few more clearances issues with the placement of the left bridge :biggrin_mini: :biggrin_mini:

Yes, I was thinking the same :laugh:

Does mid-Cornwall lie on a geological fault line!!

Seriously, very nice modelling looking forward to seeing more. Have you tested the new bridge with your CDAs? I'd never have thought to check both sides either!

Yes, I was thinking the same :laugh:

Hi bcnpete & mudmagnet

Thanks for the comments.

At least I can see the problem this time....The things B.R. did to close lines!!!!!!!

Cheers Bill