Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Bill, Hope all goes well with the show at Helston, don’t forget to take lots of photos (we all like lots of photos on this forum).

Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the best wishes......

I certainly hope to get some piccies to post....

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

All set up & raring to go.......

Bonus as my grandson turned up to help....& very helpful he was.....

Thanks Christopher for your help....Much appreciated.......

All went well....

Except I forgot my long extension lead......

Fortunately was able to borrow one from my son.....

Then mild panic as the yard wouldn't work......

After much searching of wiring & many assurances that it would be something simple.....

It was......

The layout has a main & branch controller close together for use by one person,but when two people operate I found it easier to have a second main line plug in for the controller so the main line operator doesn't get in the way of the yard shunting....

You guessed it....Both controllers plugged into the main sockets......

So this meant that all but one train were put on the track & test run to make sure all was well......

No need for such an early start tomorrow except Christopher wants to get there early....

Well he's keen which is great so no lie in tomorrow......

If you're about say hello.....

Maybe see you tomorrow.....

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well day one done....

All went well for most of the time.....

My grandson Christopher was thre from 9 'til Quarter to 5....A long stint.... He seemed to be enjoying himself & was very helpfull.

He was excellent in engaging with the youngsters wh wanted particular trains run....

He was good enough that I was able to leave him running the layout on his own a couple of times & he coped well.....

A big THANKYOU for your help & company.......

The only issue we had was a short that occured whilst wheel cleaning......

It knocked out part of the 12v uncontrolled supply that powered the points & signals.....

The main line power was unaffected so trains could be run & a quick change of power source....An old Beatties controller attached & away we went.......

I checked before we left this evening & the transformer seems to be working now....Probably just tripped out for a while.....

A few 'snaps'....Not particularly good quality I'm afraid.....

Hopefully better ones tomorrow.....

post-7844-0-24400700-1524337697_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-49649200-1524337728_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-27069400-1524337750_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-56583300-1524337773_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-04351300-1524337796_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-03701100-1524337818_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-59087600-1524337833_thumb.jpg

Well that's all for now...

Cheers Bill

• Like 11

Hi All

Well another show over......

Potentially Penhallick Junctions penultimate one.......

Hopefully not.....

First a big thankyou to the Falmouth & Helston club for the invite....

& for making us most welcome....

Well fed & watered.....THANKYOU very much....Greatly appreciated......

My son helped today......

A big thankyou for your assistance.....Much appreciated.......

All ran well today with the exception of the occasional operator error....

One point blade came adrift......Was sorted in literally 5 minutes so not a problem.....

The railfreight class 60 decided to use it's coupling to flick stock off the track when entering the yard....

No problem...

Swapped for the EWS liveried one for yard duty & the Transrail one went round & round on the slurry tanks.....

Just started to wind down.....Take some pics I thought......

Got a few then the camera battery ran out.....Sugar....Or words to that effect......

Anyway here are the few I took.......

post-7844-0-96647100-1524423287_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-19798300-1524423310_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-56409000-1524423329_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-47706700-1524423350_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-48245600-1524423375_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-84118600-1524423393_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-65519000-1524423410_thumb.jpg

The Hornby repainted Sentinel ran well......

The match truck is used for extra pick ups & for some reason occasionally derailed when being propelled......

Annoyingly when it did & I repeated the move it ran fine so not sure what the problem is.....

The only problem with the loco is that it is too light & struggles with more than 4 waqons.....

Will have to take it apart & see about adding weight.....

A slight problem as I seem to have glued the body on....

A well !!!!!

Next outing is at Hayle on the August bank holiday....

Maybe the last outing......

Cheers Bill

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Hi Bill

Don't know how I'd missed this, but have had a very enjoyable read through over the last week or so.

Really nice rendition, although I must admit to being more familiar with West of the Clay area.

Just wish I'd been along for the ride, live, as it were.

All the best

Hi Tony

Thanks for the comment....Greatly appreciated.......

It was very enjoyable to build & fun to operate in both formats....Cassette fiddle yard & roundy roundy......

It has one more show potentially booked next year & then????????

It is being replaced slowly with Hendra but due to life getting in the way it is a slow build...Albeit I'm enjoying the build as there's no pressure to finish it.....

Cheers Bill

HI Bill

Great to see a layout like this being started- I like the Cornish branch line layouts, as there is so much that you can put in to them! Im currently building patforms for Crantock Tor at the moment, will start on baseboard when I get back from Annual Camp in a few weeks. My layout will be around 12 feet long by about 20"" deep. A bay platform and a small factory sidings at one end, and a run-round, and coal sidings at the other end. The disused Helston platform will also feature, with part of the now-disused Helston line still in situ. The curved platform end on to the junction, is something I saw on a recent visit to Andover- disused tracks curving away into a yard. Anyway, good luck with it, look forward to seeing more of it on here!

Dean

HI Bill

Great to see a layout like this being started- I like the Cornish branch line layouts, as there is so much that you can put in to them! Im currently building patforms for Crantock Tor at the moment, will start on baseboard when I get back from Annual Camp in a few weeks. My layout will be around 12 feet long by about 20"" deep. A bay platform and a small factory sidings at one end, and a run-round, and coal sidings at the other end. The disused Helston platform will also feature, with part of the now-disused Helston line still in situ. The curved platform end on to the junction, is something I saw on a recent visit to Andover- disused tracks curving away into a yard. Anyway, good luck with it, look forward to seeing more of it on here!

Dean

Hi  Dean

Thanks for the comment.....

Your layout project sounds interesting.....

Is it on RMWeb ?

Cheers Bill

Hi  Dean

Thanks for the comment.....

Your layout project sounds interesting.....

Is it on RMWeb ?

Cheers Bill

The signal box and details of the layout are in Layout topics.

Dean

Edited by Siphon208

• 10 months later...

Hi All

Penhallick Junction has been at the Hayle show over the last couple of days.....

As usual a very enjoyable time was had with the usual mix of friendly punters......

A big THANKYOU to the club for the invite & their hospitality over the weekend.......

The bonfire attracted a lot of attention & both kids & grown ups were fascinated.....

The layout ran well most of the time with a few random problems.....

Mainly due to my trackwork I suspect......

However I was able to leave trains running round without problems whilst talking to the public with no derailments or random uncoupling.......

A few pictures.....

A full yard at Penhallick.....Business must be good....

IMG_6828.resized.JPG.568fd3ad990c7a859f8ab9c4aa0999bc.JPG

A couple of general pictures

IMG_6832.resized.JPG.0f21c4b4c2e0633114eb85eb05ad2929.JPGIMG_6833.resized.JPG.e4cede6d32a4a848cf962e760924a279.JPG

Cassie the Sentinel shunter at rest between jobs.....IMG_6830.resized.JPG.4ba41bd82803b2e838a140a5918453f1.JPG

The companies Resident 08 shunter prepares to propel a couple of CDA's to a dry down the branch for loading.....

IMG_6836.resized.JPG.db29142077b6096e202527dfead671f7.JPG

There are a few more pics which I'll try & upload over the next couple of days.....

Cheers Bill

IMG_6834.resized.JPG

• Like 8

Hi All

Well all change......

Penhallick Junction has moved on.....

As I am running out of storage space I had been thinking that one of my layouts had to go......

Creedyford has a potential invite & is my 'Blue Diesel' layout & has potential to be 'changed' so even though was potentially the one to go it will live to fight another day ......

So seeing how much my son enjoyed shunting & operating the layout I offered it to him for his loft layout.......

So it now is in his loft waiting to be 'built ' in to his system when he gets time to build it in......

I would rather give it to him as both he & my grandson enjoy operating it & it is ready to go.......

Much better that it is enjoyed than the alternative of stripping it down & scrapping it as would have been the alternative.......

So a few final pictures......IMG_6866.resized.JPG.c8635480ebd9793524e9bc850a18f195.JPG

IMG_6863.resized.JPG.64d7342a8b8b01ea78a7ae6209fd3cfd.JPG

IMG_6861.resized.JPG.e02af0e43c7df522f813406ea4eb514f.JPGIMG_6862.resized.JPG.62ebb5333eb7712b40cd9d63ca4310ee.JPGIMG_6860.resized.JPG.c0d42efa3289256054d94f6574752ebb.JPGIMG_6859.resized.JPG.7cfd1ab97d5331c2dd7171605cf0a351.JPG

IMG_6858.resized.JPG.07546f0d3bab57f4803c9f9e1a4a2621.JPG

IMG_6856.resized.JPG.b1d6d80a0d7b7bb9be89cb4a2e140936.JPGIMG_6853.resized.JPG.aa717b740e797440e0a16074d58d26d0.JPGIMG_6852.resized.JPG.d2c0cb418a5cae321f06eb452f64f9fc.JPG

Well that's it then......

It's been a very enjoyable journey......

As a layout it has been fun to operate,enjoyable to build & been well received at shows......

Good to know it will live on & hopefully give enjoyment to my son & grandson.....

So ....Now must get on with Hendra....If life lets me......

Cheers Bill

IMG_6843.resized.JPG

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As a big fan of Cornish China Clay layouts, it’s a shame that I never got to see the layout. Lots of inspiration for me in the pictures that have appeared on this thread. I hope the the new owner appreciates, what a gem of a layout he now has in his loft. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bill

Have to agree with Melangoose's comments.

But at least it's not gone out of reach, and avilable for visits. As long as

you can make it up the steps to the loft.

Pretty much the ideal solution.

All the best

TONY

• Thanks 1

Hi Ramblin Rich ,Melangoose & Tony...

Thanks for the above comments....Greatly appreciated....

As Tony says it's the best solution given the circumstances & hopefully Hendra will be equally as fun to operate & look the part.....

The other potentially good thing is that my Granson may retain his interest....

He has 'converted' to N gauge but is struggling so as he still has his OO stock he might enjoy playing with the layout.....

Anyway...Thanks again for the comments & I really must get on with Hendra & post some pics of progress...

Cheers Bill

• Like 2