Slipping steam engines

superkev

Hi

Watching my Bachman Jubilee slipping its way round the club layout with just 4 coaches I had a though as to why I dont hear dcc sound equiped locos doing the same. Real ones slip a great deal.

Perhaps a function key for slipping?

Just a thought.

Kev

Slipping wheels on steam trains will be very easy to implement on the new v4 chip, and 'properly' rather than on a function key. I don't do steam myself but I'm sure the steam programmers out there will be on the case. I now know how I'd program to achieve it.

Bif

• RMweb Premium

A good friend of mine, but who is not a member here, has spent some time producing "slip chuffs". I'll ask him if I can post a link of his work as it's not necessarily in the public domain.

EDIT in response to the reply received. My contact tells me that "Bif will definitely know how to do it" so no further input required from here.

• RMweb Gold

Soundtraxx have for some years offered sounds for mallet engines, and one of the set-up options includes the two engines going in and out of sync with each other, so I'm sure it's possible with a conventional sound chip too.

Hi

Watching my Bachman Jubilee slipping its way round the club layout with just 4 coaches I had a though as to why I dont hear dcc sound equiped locos doing the same. Real ones slip a great deal.

Perhaps a function key for slipping?

Just a thought.

Kev

If the model is slipping then the chuff rate will increase naturally.

Hi

Is this what you are after when you say wheel slip?

This is function controlled but I have added a hall sensor to a fair few locos both Loksound and Zimo and it is seriously good with a heavy load. Have not tried the 4.0 yet but I will shortly.

Howes got the idea for function controlled wheel slip from a company called DCC Concepts.

Martin

Well they might have slipping noises, but the Merchant's wheels were not going round at the time, and the tank wasn't slipping, being on rollers and all.

What is needed is for the slipping function button to put out a full speed signal as well to trigger the slip. Heres one with synchronised sound, the problem is to trigger the slip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ9aS4rAD14

Keith

• 2 months later...

Archived