Hornby 08 chassis

Well, a little background info will probably make an otherwise apparently random question a bit more logical! A project I've had in mind for some time now is a model of the GCR based class 10 D4067 (set before the recent hideous mess, justified only if applied by a 3 year old or a blind man repaint), as shown here (not my photo) D4067, Loughborough Central, 30th April 2005. .

As can be seen, one of the most obvious characteristics of the loco at this time was the lack of rods. Does anyone have any thoughts (short of 'try it and see'!) on whether the Hornby (or indeed Bachmann) 08 chassis would operate ok minus rods, or simply sit and slip?

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Premium

As can be seen, one of the most obvious characteristics of the loco at this time was the lack of rods. Does anyone have any thoughts (short of 'try it and see'!) on whether the Hornby (or indeed Bachmann) 08 chassis would operate ok minus rods, or simply sit and slip?

A prototype 08/09/10 has a traction motor on each of the outer axles, so would run ok apart reduced traction. The model 08 only drives on one axle and would probably suffer quite badly in the haulage stakes and as you say, may "simply sit and slip".

Cheers,

Mick

A prototype 08/09/10 has a traction motor on each of the outer axles, so would run ok apart reduced traction. The model 08 only drives on one axle and would probably suffer quite badly in the haulage stakes and as you say, may "simply sit and slip".

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the reply, might need a rethink then! Might I get away with removing them on one side (I'm not ENTIRELY opposed to having just the one photogenic side!), or could I expect further problems this way?

Cheers,

Mick

'Unicorn' on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway has shifted cranks, so its rods have been removed. It will run but the Engineering Department are wary of causing damage to either the loco or the track due to a perceived risk of the traction motors trying to spin the wheels at different speeds. So it is usually in reserve as 'spare engine' in case one of our other 2 08s fails (we need 2 locos to operate a service).

So South Oxfordshire Diesel Day this Sunday will be a rare opportunity to travel behind 'Unicorn' (and an even rarer opportunity to travel behind the GWS's Class 08 at Didcot!)

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply, might need a rethink then! Might I get away with removing them on one side (I'm not ENTIRELY opposed to having just the one photogenic side!), or could I expect further problems this way?

Trying to run it with rods on one side only will not work as the rod will cause the wheels to lock up.

Andi

Trying to run it with rods on one side only will not work as the rod will cause the wheels to lock up.

Andi

Thanks, I feared that might be the case. Might just have to remove the lot and keep it on light duties then! Thanks everyone :)

• 8 months later...

Just for reference (forgive the bump, but if it makes the thread useful to those searching in the future it must be worth it?), I found the Hornby chassis to be just barely capable of moving itself ohne rods, whilst the Bachmann one can, with the aid of A LOT of liquid lead, pull a couple of mk1s on the level, which will do me! :)

Archived