Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Florida.............

BlackRat

Hello BR,

We have been a good few times in the last decade, one thing Florida as a state is HUGE! so when you sat Florida are you staying around Olrando? Orlando to Miami is something like a 3-4 hour drive I think from memory!

Shops around Orlando for me the must visit was Colonial Photography, which is a good general hobby store away from Disney, other shops we had visited on previous visits seemed not to have survived!

Ian

• Like 1

Is it just yourself or family as well? It depends what your party's interests are.

As for a few suggestions we went in April with our two lads (9yrs and 7yrs), we avoided Disney and did Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure instead. Glad we did as they loved it, Harry Potter world was stunning, if you go there try the frozen butterbeer! The water rides you will get soaked so we did one day in swimming trunks. Probably spent 4 days just at Universal.

Aquatica is much better than Wet'n'Wild for a water park.

Busch Gardens again worth it, kids enjoyed the "safari" ride, feeding the giraffes etc plus some stunning roller coasters.

Kennedy Space Centre is a must, I thought this'd be one for me with the engineering but the kids loved it as well. We were lucky to see Endeavour on the launch pad but there's still plenty to see. The scale of the Saturn rocket was stunning as was the relative small size of the early rockets. You can have lunch with an Astronaut if you book in advance, again interesting for the kids, although we got a guy called Tom Jones, so we had the usual jokes about missing the green green grass of home etc.

What else to do? Seaworld, Crocodile world, Airboat ride through the glades etc.

Get a ticket for the Basketball - Orlando Magic.

I'd like to have got tickets for NASCAR but there were no local races on when we visited. You could get to Daytona but they seem to only have a couple of races a year.

• Like 1

Thanks both, I should have added we went last year, the kids are 21 and 15.

this year is a sort of joint graduation/50th pressy.

Last year we did quite a bit of the above but didn't do Disney (not a great fan) but the others want to give it a go!

Staying in a villa at Kissimee, so not toooo far from everything.

I am trying to avoid Disney, but not having been what would you say...................?

Have to add any of the BIG theme parks around Orlando are all worth a visit. I dont really like the UK ones as I have had twenty years going to them with work! but there was a sense of occassion and the staging is several steps over our UK ones.

The Fireworks at Disney are very well staged...

Shopping generally if around Orlando and the factory outlets are amazing.

Most attractions also do a repeat day free, where many of the "offers" you will see around I drive come free, simply dont be tempted...its a timeshare or too good to be true.

Kennedy when we went Aries was a day away from take off! had a go one day and go again withing the week for free!

• Like 1

You have to remember Disney isnt just one park, overall I think someone said its about the same size as Greater Manchester!

Downtown Disney is "free" to walk round and you can get Disney items from there, we had a four day pass three years ago and we both really enjoyed most of the parks, as I said before I aint that big a fan of theme parks but take the cheese out of it they are very well staged.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I did Disney back in 1996 , and was 46 at the time , still throughly enjoyed it , and as it has

no doubt expanded by now would hapily go again . The Epcot park is also very enjoyable ,

real people from the Country in each area and not locals trying to play the part , lots of real world

culture and also food that is from that Country , not just burgers & fries .

It may be worth getting some current guides to Disney and the other attraction in the area to see

what is going on these days ,if you are looking for mega thrill rides then the other parks offer better

as Disney is more family friendly from my memory but as they are so well themed I still found them

to be good fun . Much better entertainment in the queue lines than you ever get in UK parks makes

the wait half the fun .

The website gives good info .

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1

I am trying to avoid Disney, but not having been what would you say...................?

Awww go on! Live a little.

Is it a bit cheesy? Yes.

Is it a bit corny? Yes.

Will some things make you cringe a bit? Yes.

Nevertheless, it's really hard not to have fun at Disneyworld. The Magic Kingdom is a great place to forget how many birthdays you've had - even if its just for the rides, which are truly classic, fun without inducing nausea.

The Disney formula for amusement parks is the world standard.

And you don't have to hug the 20 year-olds melting under the Tigger and Pooh costumes in the Florida heat.

Disney is worth a visit no matter the age, there are great rides. Suitable for all. Get yourself on the 'Tower of Terror' in the Disney MGM studios park. Its a great ride. Downtown Disney is a great visit, a nice atmosphere, especialy at night.

The waterparks are worth a visit, one of them has a fantasticly large waterslide that even fully grown men have been known to chicken out of.

Universal Studios are a good day out. As is Kennedy Space Centre, Bush Gardens, Discovery Cove etc.

Theres just too much to do. We've been twice and still havn't tried everything. Plus they keep adding new rides and attractions to the theme parks - It's just too hard to keep up :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Florida is, and will almost certainly remain, the only state of the US I have visited. I didn't dislike America, but that long cooped up in a plane (BA 777) is unthinkable twice in a lifetime. I was also embarrassed at landing somewhere called Orlando (I'm a lifelong nameist) which was worsened by the fear that we might be thought to be having anything to do with Disney. As it was, we had hired a car and drove to Sebring for the 12 hours race. The stay was somewhat marred by a Cat 6 tornado, which upended & destroyed our borrowed tent, drowned Deb's Nikon, and robbed us of our food source for several days. Florida - not uniquely on this planet - is famed for rapid changes of weather. You have been warned.

A lot depends on what you find interesting. Colonial Photography is well worth a visit especially if there are any American products you are after.

The following have all proved enjoyable on previous visits:

Walmart is a must (Kissimee branch takes some beating).

Kissimee street cruise in the Old Town on Saturday night

Michaels's Art and Craft

Hooters!

Orlando Church Street Station area with lunch in Mary's Bar and Grill

Winter Gardens (nice unspoilt town with small railroad museum)

Hooters!

Seaworld

Kennedy Space Centre and Astronaut Hall of Fame.

Hooters!

Florida Air Museum.

Florida Mall

Orlando Outlet Centre

Dairy Queen

Publix Supermarket (if you are self catering)

Did I mention Hooters? Great if you have a party member who has a birthday (let your waitress know). Best if you can visit off peak. Don't be frightened to ask for a photo with the waitresses. Lake Buena Vista

branch good fun.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Thanks again guys, Mike, Hooters it is! Awesome, and if we do Disney, well I dont do things by half!

So its Hooters, Disney, eat your weight in steak, Hooters, a coooooool Duff and Hooters for a nitecap!

So it looks like its going to be amazing! (again!).

Ian......stick to France (one of my fav destinations), weather doesn't bother been having been out in most of it from minus 38 to almost 50, tropical storms, you name it, its only weather! lol

Thanks all, good advice and time to let me hair down (whats left!).

ps if I am honest, I cant wait to meet Chip and Dale (my favs!!).

Whoooooo hooooooooooooo (Hooters!).

• Like 1

Is it me, or does Hooters sound like it might be a little "risque" ?

Not quite as much as you might think.

Mostly it's about waitresses wearing very short shorts and being particularly friendly in a deliberately ingratiating way.

Besides the waitresses they are known for the cheap beer by the pitcher and the chicken wings.

Hooters

• Like 1

We had the Avondale in Plimuffff, top quality, one evening I spent a good half hour reading the waitresses tats!

(YES I SAID TATS!)..................

Mind you, it was Plimuffffs legendary topless establishment so....................

ps it was an official visit to!

Is hooters the place where all the waitresses are dressed as if on their way to a wet t-shirt competition?

It's a while since I last went to Florida. I did the Disney thing, and found it all right though extortionately expensive. Epcot Centre struck me as a waste of time, but MGM studios and the Magic Kingdom were great fun. We also did Universal studios (brilliant place) and Busch Gardens where I made myself rather ill on too many rollercoasters. I realised that rollercoasters must come as very expensive off-the-shelf kits, as the one that was called 'the Scorpion' was in fact identical to the one they have at Camalot theme park near Chorley. One restaurant that stood out was a place called (IIRC) 'Bronco Billies' and was a barbecued hunks of meat type place all themed with a Wild West type show. It reminded me a little of Medieval themed banquets I've been to, but in a Western style. Well worth it if it is still there in Orlando.

I have relatives who live over in Tampa Bay and we spent a lot of time over there. They took us to all the places the locals go to, and we spent a lot less the week we were there eating at restaurants that were just as good or better than those on the tourist trail. We also spent a lot of time on some very nice quiet beaches that the tourists don't seem to know about. Steer clear of Hard Rock Cafés as they are as much a rip off there as they are anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

As others have already said on this thread, Disney is excellent ,and better if you stay in the resort hotels, as you don't have the same manic rush at the start of the day. However, those hotels are quite pricy.

If you fancy a few days at the beach instead of the theme parks, I can also recommend the Tampa Bay area. St. Pete's is a good choice of places to stay and some tidy beaches as well as plenty of activities. Water-sports and fresh seafood are widely available, and you are on the Gulf side, so the sea is calmer, usually. If you fancy some local sports culture you have the Tampa Bay Rays (Baseball), the USF teams (University of South Florida)and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (American football), The Tampa Bay Lightnings (Ice hockey) and FC Tampa Bay (the other football - possibly going to become the famous Tampa Bay Rowdies - ask Jasper Carrot).

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Second the recommendation for the air museum - not too far from Kissimmee, either. Been twice, and apart from all the lovely aircraft and flying demos (they have a Feiseler Storch, which is amazing to watch as it appears to hover at just above stall speed) you can also book a flight in one of two biplanes, if the weather holds. Also, great burgers and chips in the restaurant.

post-6720-0-06602400-1312022212_thumb.jpg

I tried to visit most of the hobby stores within a day's drive of Orlando, as based on the ads in Model Railroader. The best by far is still Colonial Photo and Hobby, although I had good friendly service from all that I visited. No all had big stocks of N scale, though, which was my thing

A local recommended we visit a nice place an hour or two south of Orlando, but I'm blanking on the name though - it was a large landscaped garden, with a lots of winding pathways and a very tall tower with a musical clock in it. We enjoyed it lots - very peaceful, hardly anyone else about - but I can't remember the name! Something "Tower and gardens" I think. Supposedly it's the highest point in central Florida.

• Like 1

Is it me, or does Hooters sound like it might be a little "risque" ?

Trust me, it is very family friendly. I have always gone with a mixed group including my daughter who thoroughly enjoyed it. I would take my Grandparents without hesitation.

I mentioned going off peak. The following photo was as a result of us asking our waitress for a photo of her with my son. Her reply was "just me, or all the girls"? How could we refuse :pleasantry:

post-3717-0-95247500-1312052853_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

we went last year and did the whole disney thing with the 2 week passes, fantastic experience, not to be missed no matter what your age....

we also visited gatorland, the pioneer village in kissimee, and did an airboat ride in boggy creek which was fantastic, another place worth a visit are the citrus groves to the north of kissimee (past walmart and home depot) we went there and had a ride on a swamp buggy

we havdecied to go again this year, luckily my mum and stepdad have a villa in kissimee so we only need to book flights and car hire, we are going over haloween again as tht is something you should really experience in america if you ever gt he chance...

another reason were going is we are missing the golden corral and cici's pizza!!

• Like 1