Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nebraska Zephyr

CraigZ

yep Im distracted :)

I take it the white flags on the lead loco are the "not in the timetable" flags?

White flags would mean it is running extra under traditional rules.

Of course all it really means now is it has white flags, since most railroads haven't used those rules in over 25 years.

A pity the engineer was hanging on the horn , I'd love to have heard the power units properly....

Dear Ned,

Seems to be a (unfortunate?) trend for many US engineers,

although as JD 'Tuch" Santucci writes,

"...If it needs blowing for safety, I'm blow my horn at every grade crossing thru town, silence orders or not..." (paraphrased).

http://www.railroad.net/articles/columns/hottimes/index.php

Interestingly, such horn-fixation anytime someone points a camera at a loco makes the life of the guys who record loco sounds for DCC decoders nearly impossible "on the fly"...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I guess it's also because a lot of films tend to be shot at grade crossings , presumably because of the ease of access to the lineside , so by default you get the horn warning for the crossing.

Don't get me wrong , I don't mind a bit of a toot on the horn , but a lot of clips seem to feature 3 minutes of continuous horn blowing and very little else - it would be nice to hear what these locos actually sound like (if only so we can tell how good or otherwise our DCC chips are...)

• RMweb Gold

I put it down to folk history - "Hear the lonesome whistle blow" and other similar themes have woven themselves into a myth that that's the only sound trains make! I'm quite sure that on the everyday railroad, engineers only use the whistle/horn as a safety measure, just as they always did. On street and similar trackage, with substantial scope for the idiots to do the unexpected and unthinkable, I would certainly be using it quite a lot, too!

Archived