Heljan Class 26 to EM gauge?

hi,

I am looking to convert my Heljan class 26 (26029 to be precise) to EM gauge. I was wondering if it was as simple as re-spacing the wheelsets (as in some Bachmann models) or maybe it is a more complicated matter which may involve buying and fitting various products. Please could someone give me a 'how-to' guide and the parts required.

Thanks for your time,

Jono

You can use Black Beetle wheels and just take the gears from the original wheels - assuming it's the same as their other locos. The conversion can be done in less than twenty minutes, even if it's your first one. And being all metal wheels the pick ups only need a slight adjustment too.

• 1 month later...

Hope this helps:-

I have converted three Heljan Class 26 & 27's, (Same chassis, as I believe the Class 33 is). using Ultrascale conversion set on one of them. This is a bit expensive, although, all you have to do is remove the old wheels and place in the new wheelsets, adjust the pick ups and away you go.

The other two I have done with Alan Gibson wheels and axles. To do this, remove the old wheelsets, remove the gear from the axle by gently pushing the axle out. The axles I was supplied with had pin point ends, so I had to file them flat and the put a slight champher on each end to aid the fitting of the gear and wheels. Fit the gear to the Alan Gibson axles, they should be a tight interferance fit, if not ensure all grease and oil is removed from both gear and axle and glue with a tiny spot of Araldite or Loctite 601. Put some washers either sides of the gear before putting the wheels on. I cannot recall how many I used, but it is probably about 1mm per side. Put wheels onto the axles and check the gauge. Put wheelsets into the bogies. You may be able to adjust the existing pick ups to touch the rear of the tyres.

I have done similar conversions with the Bachmann, Classes, 24, 25 & 20.

• RMweb Premium

The advantage of using either the Black Beetle wheels which James suggested or Keen Maygib 14mm disc wheels is that as they are all metal the existing Heljan pick ups can be adjusted more easily as there is a larger surface area for them to make contact with than the steel tyre/plastic centre Gibson wheels. My preference is for the KM as they are already blackened which saves painting and, in my experience, this does not interfere with current flow through the wheels and pick ups.

My Heljan Hymek originally ran with Gibson wheels but running was greatly improved when I switched to KM wheels (EMGS sell these). I never bother with any washers - the gear and the side frames limit the amount of side play anyway; other than that fitting is as described by andytrains in the post above.

KM wheels are my preferred option, Bachmann coach wheels much more plentiful here, and perfectly adequate if not *quite* as fine.

As Mark's post above, I just dismantle both wheelsets, transfer gearwheel from one to t'other, reassemble into model. Job done in <10min.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Have just converted my Heljan 26s x6 and 27 using the black beetle wheels!!!! All i can say is that it takes about half an hour per loco!!!! All to EM with a slight tweek to the pick ups and away they went!!! As far as i can tell KM wheels are far and few in EM to but managed to get hold of some via the EM gauge society to convert my Hornby 153 unit. HTH. Nick

Archived