shanks522

Hello, I have been toying for a while about building a 00 layout, I have collected a fair bit of modern image stock over the last ten years and now have some space to build a small layout in what has become the Railway room. I'm not abandoning my N gauge layout just being greedy and building a second in a different scale.
My initial thoughts where to build a MPD or something similar like wagon repair depot but didn't quite tick all the boxes, then i thought about a southern layout, since the Bachmann CEP was released i really fancied a third rail layout, A terminus was first on the list, but i also wanted to see freight locos without looking out of place and possibly an 08, what i have tried to do is portray the end of a loop line at the front of the layout so freight locos appear to be running round there trains, gives me an excuse to run 33's 58's and 60's. The station has three platforms, it also has a centre track which was once an engine release road now used to store mail trains or possibly a pullman rake or summer saturday mk2 rake?
The overall size of the scenic part is just over 5 foot long, 23 inches at the left side tapering down to 12 inches on the right, theres going to be a fair bit of modellers licence on train lengths but i can live with 4 mk2's and a 47. The main aim of the layout is build something with third rail modelled and to run my 00 stock, as for time scale i'l model the station in NSE colours but run pretty much anything from the late 80's till the mid 2000's, Its also going to be my first venture into DCC, having seen some videos online i really like the idea of a VEP in the platform with the compressor ticking over.
Only thing that i'm struggling with is a name, the rough location is to be the Isle of Grain with the assumption that tourism has flourished and that the South eastern and chatham railway made a fair sized station at the turn of the century.
Thanks for reading

Graham.
post-6774-0-73355300-1312056786_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

Hello Graham,

Your layout plan sounds excellent! I'm also building a 4mm third rail SR layout situated on the Isle of Grain but on a much smaller scale than yours in terms of complexity and overall size. Looking forward to seeing progress on this and I'll follow it. What sort of landscape/backscene are you planning? Mine will be fairly featureless salt marshes with a view towards the Thames estuary.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Glad to see someone else modelling the same area, As for the backscene i'm unsure at the moment, I picked up some Peco backscenes yesterday and am quite pleased with how they look, although like you say it should be fairly bland with marshes looking over the Thames. I suppose i could have Kingsnorth power station in the back round?

Graham.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Graham,

The power station would be perfect; I'll probably feature something like this too. As you live in north Kent you could go and photograph a suitable background and either print it off yourself or get it printed professionally. I've given a photo backscene some thought myself but getting to this area on Grain is hard for me as I'm in France. I might try and visit the area one of these days.

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Hello Graham,

You may know all of this already, so apologies in advance if you do, but taking a panoramic view is easy; just take a series of shots of your selected subject, making sure you remember the position of the last frame, then just slightly overlap the next shot (into what was the last frame) and so on. Some photo software (photoshop maybe) can then link the photos and eliminate any joins, so you end up with one continuous picture. There may even be free panoramic photo software on the web. Good luck with it...

Simon

A little progress today, weekend engineering works have installed the juice rail to platform one, Bachmanns finest was sent to test it. I picked up the new EPB yesterday and i'm absolutely blown away with it, what a fantastic model.

post-6774-0-49702900-1312127980_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-59133300-1312128089_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-46256700-1312128194_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-76163500-1312128313_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

Sounds an interesting plan. The late Mainline Freight/ early EWS time scale in that area is an idea I have often considered but havent actively pursued (as yet!)

As to a name, a quick look at a map throws up Hoo St Werburgh, Allhallows on Sea or the simple Grain (village)

Hi Graham,

I like the look of this layout ;) NSE theme B) I like your taste......

The EPB looks fantastic, I have just placed an order for one, looking at your pictures I will not be disappointed B) B)

Look forward to the updates,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Well, Allhallows had a branch at one time, and there's still a "Leisure Park" or static caravan site there. As an ex-Strood resident, I may even have paddled in the Thames there in the dim and distant past.

As it took its name from Hoo All Hallows church, you could use that for a name, suggesting the right area but not purporting to be the real Allhallows.

Alternatively there's Cooling just down the road - plenty of scope for visual puns with that name.

On the backdrops, have you considered the "container ship going through the fields" effect you get around the Hoo Junction marshes?

Send us a postcard,

ewd.

Guest oldlugger

The third rail certainly looks the part Graham - nice work and very neatly done. The "Hoo" name seems to be catching on! What about "Hoo Hallows"; "Hoo-on-Thames" or "Hoo-on-Sea"? It is an odd but interesting name...

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Taking some place names in the area already you could have "Hoocliffe", "Upnor Town" or "Upper Hallows".

The 2EPB looks good with some juice rail in place.

Work was written off today with the rain so i spent some time day dreaming about how the line would arrive at my no name terminus, I'm making up history a little so that the population is larger than it actually is. I imagine that the line would diverge at Hoo Junction heading in a northerly direction, immediately after leaving the north kent line theres another junction heading east to Thamesport, about another mile or so would bring you to the small station of Cooling, then on to my terminus that i'm struggling to name.

It may sound daft but the reason i cant find a name is that i imagine a guard or station announcer saying, This is the 16.35 service from Charing cross, calling at so and so then terminating at ???????? untill it sounds right i cant find a name, silly? maybe, sure i'l get it soon enough.

post-6774-0-06742600-1312487406_thumb.png

cheers

Graham.

...calling at ...Gravesend, Denton, Cliffe Road, Cooling, High Halstow and Halstow-on-Sea (for buses to Maplin's Holiday Camp?)

Somehow the last two just sound right for the last two stops on a line - like Falmouth Town and Falmouth Docks, or Dover Priory and Dover Marine.

Making up a Halstow on Sea for the could-have-been seaside resort.

Just get on with it*, the names can come later!

*mind you, someone needs to tell me to get on with it: you can have too much planning.

Guest oldlugger

Keep up the good work Graham; we're all waiting to see what you come up with, and the track plan looks great. We SR bods must stick together!

Cheers

Simon

PS - of course Queenborough and Sheerness are names to play with - especially as there is a steel plant on your plan.

Hey

(are I say it, Im not a bit southern fan (mostly due to lack of knowledge im sure), but the layout does look good. Track flows nicely, and the third rail really does look the part :) I'm gonna keep my eye on this one and maybe I might just learn something about the south!

Regards

Lee :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments gents,

First off theres no progress with the name, i've got a list but still not quite there, although i really like East West divides suggestion for Halstow-on-sea, Thanks.

On the plus side though i've fitted the platform edges, sprayed the track a general grime colour, laid some cable trunking and done a test section of ballasting, Its funny i don't like or dislike ballasting but on the small area i've done i found it quite therapeutic, Its far to clean at the moment but i'm sure the airbrush will rectify that.

post-6774-0-77381500-1314304753_thumb.jpg

Hither Green sent down a crompton for the first ballast train.

post-6774-0-58159200-1314304818_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

• 2 months later...

Evening all,

As can be seen i've done hardly anything at all to the layout, I've spent the last few months working on my N gauge layout so this one has been severely neglected.

However today i was cleaning the railway room and thought i should attempt some progress, I have come up with all sorts of names but nothing sounded quite right and i keep going back to Halstow on Sea, so with many thanks to East West Divide i think we shall name the layout so.

Next up signalling, Having ordered a few signals what seems like months ago i thought it would be good to actually install them, that took all of ten minutes, now we have one platform starter and a permissive shunt signal, there's still two more starters to put in but they are going to be mounted on the platform so need to be shorter.

The rest of the evening has been spent doing a short section of ballasting, putting in more third rail and fitting some more platform sides.

post-6774-0-64823200-1320008278_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-55867600-1320008396_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

Evening all, Little progress to report, The Peco platform edging's are now complete so its about time the platform had a surface, I have used a decorating filler, first i glue a layer of wood or polystyrene inside the gap then fill with a fairly wet mix of filler so it gets in all the little nocks and crannies, when that has set i add another stiffer layer and smooth as best is possible to the platform height if not a little higher. When all is rock solid give it a good rub down nice and flat, and bingo a lovely smooth platform surface. I'm in two minds at the moment as to what the finish will be, Either paint it as it is or paint it with some glue the sprinkle kiln dried sand over it to get a rough texture then paint?

A few photo's of the mess.

post-6774-0-28179800-1320600683_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-18735700-1320600805_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-60025900-1320600883_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-47359300-1320600959_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Graham,

Excellent work on the platform; if it was me I'd leave a smooth finish and paint it as it is. If you wanted to give the surface some texture and additional character you could simulate small potholes and the odd crack or two using a craft knife very carefully. You could even add puddles of "water" in the holes with varnish. The layout is progressing very nicely!

Cheers

Simon

PS - I like your choice of station name...

Archived