Little Petherick Creek Bridge

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

Went for a walk up the Camel Trail this morning as far as Little Petherick Creek bridge. Took the camera with me and managed to get some pics in between moments of quietness. Hard to imagine a T9 or Bulleid Pacifics running across. Hope these are in the right place and maybe of use

Enjoy

post-6777-0-94223700-1312379746_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-36550000-1312380169_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-61047800-1312380586_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-53060500-1312380773_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-71485900-1312380961_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-34139900-1312381175_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-99633400-1312381329_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-13012400-1312381454_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-83205300-1312381581_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-34617000-1312381794_thumb.jpg

About 200 yards outside of Padstow is an original concrete post form an old kissing gate that leads from Porthilly View to the beach

post-6777-0-04672500-1312382024_thumb.jpg

Guest 34008Padstow

Thanks Eddie. The only thing i would say left intresting is the old station building. Unfortunatley most of where the original line was has been built over. Next time im in town (fortunate to live here) i'll grab some pics of both sides of the building and whats left of the platform.

• 2 weeks later...

These are are really useful pictures, thanks for posting. No doubt I'm wrong but the bridge is not unlike the old Airfix girder bridge now made by Dapol. I read that the rebuilt light Pacifics were not allowed on the Bude or North Cornwall lines even after the strengthening of Meldon Viaduct which allowed them to reach Plymouth. Therefore the restriction must have been due to something else after this. Presumably for the NCR it was this bridge at Petherick Creek. I wonder if anybody can confirm this or whether there were additional restrictions on the line elsewhere?

RichardS

Interesting timing of the photos. I am including this bridge in the all new Padstow Mark II I am designing at the moment. I figure I will have to scratch build using Central Valley bridge components. The curved span at the top will be challenging. I may compress the spans down to 18 inches rather than 20.4.

Anyway as I model Padstow from afar all pictures of the area are most welcome and I thank you.

• RMweb Premium

These are are really useful pictures, thanks for posting. No doubt I'm wrong but the bridge is not unlike the old Airfix girder bridge now made by Dapol. I read that the rebuilt light Pacifics were not allowed on the Bude or North Cornwall lines even after the strengthening of Meldon Viaduct which allowed them to reach Plymouth. Therefore the restriction must have been due to something else after this. Presumably for the NCR it was this bridge at Petherick Creek. I wonder if anybody can confirm this or whether there were additional restrictions on the line elsewhere?

RichardS

Hi Richard

The original Bulleids as far as I remember always crossed Meldon, although not two at once double headed!. Some of the originals were named on lines west of Meldon and found there way to Bude and Bodmin.

The rebuilt and originals ran to Plymouth, the originals ran to Padstow and Illfracombe. There were weakish bridges that the rebuilts were too heavy for on the North Cornwall to Padstow that prevented them running there. These though were small crossings around Launceston which used old rail in their construction. There are loads of photos of the original Bulleids crossing Little Petherick Creek bridge and I'm sure there was no restriction in place. Not sure what caused the restriction for the rebuilts on the Illfracombe line.

They didn't normally run to Bude because the turntable there was too short. There are reports that very rarely they did end up there and had to run tender first on the way back to Okehampton - not something the crews enjoyed.

Hope this helps

Chris

Guest 34008Padstow

Thanks for uploading that pic SC61. Very fond memeories from when i was younger walking across the bridge. The old decking always made me feel very uneasy. My nan has also told me some wonderful storys from her childhood, when her and her friends use to walk the line.

Guest 34008Padstow

Chris. Thanks for the very useful info regarding the Pacifics. I too had always wondered why the rebuilts never ventured down this way.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

The whole structure was probably no more than a dozen drawings. These days there would be loads more drawings plus the Environmental Impact Assessment, the Construction Phase H&S Plan, the Waste Management Plan, the Stakeholder Communications Plan, Risk Assessments and Method Statements.... It's no wonder nothing gets built quickly or cheaply these days.

I have 3 of the Airfix now Dapol kits tucked away in case I ever get that far up the line from Padstow. If built as is they would be a shortened version of the bridge as I believe there are only 4 sections to each span.

Archived