Wheels

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Hi

is it just me or are the wheels on Bachmann UK outline steam locomotives being provided with larger flanges than in the past?

Whiel my Bachman USA H5 runs OK on C&L track my new Jubilee, Fairburn Tank and Standrad 4MT Tank are busy running on the sleepers. Anyone else noticed this?

Hi

is it just me or are the wheels on Bachmann UK outline steam locomotives being provided with larger flanges than in the past?

Whiel my Bachman USA H5 runs OK on C&L track my new Jubilee, Fairburn Tank and Standrad 4MT Tank are busy running on the sleepers. Anyone else noticed this?

Er...Yes, they are made to suit the mythical beasts of legend, the undemanding UK buyer, who has no standards to fall back upon, except the groups like DOGA, etc , who have issued standards, but do not have conformance systems like the NMRA have organised in the US.

Bachmann, and most other suppliers to the UK, do not have any thing but in house standards to meet, and even when RP-25 standards are followed, they interpret them on the large side, because there is nobody to check or inspect them to check anything before production.

We also suffer still from some OO users who still will not believe that NMRA HO wheel standards are perfect for OO use, proposing in some way it alters the appearance, or the spokes? it only covers the tyres, which has to run on 16.5, the rest of the model is 4mm to the foot.

The NMRA sorted out the running for 16.5 about 45 to 50 years ago, and as usual we dilly and dally, and end up with a messy railway model wheel situation on RTR stock.

Stephen.

The relevant DOGA standard (OO Intermediate) is here:

DOGA OO Intermediate wheel standard

It should be , in practice, identical to NMRA RP25/110 as far as wheel profile is concerned, and the Back to Back stipulations are very similar

If the wheels are bumping along the chairs, and other Bachmann stock isn't , I can only suggest a polite letter to Barwell enquiring why ,(since presumably Bachmann ought to have a wheel standard, and it should logically be the same for all Bachmann wheels) - and suggesting very nicely that you'd rather this sort of thing didn't happen and you'd much prefer it if all wheels were strictly RP25/110 as that seems to work......

I do stress - a polite letter

If they don't get customer feedback , they won't feel there's an issue

I too have had problems with some- not all- Bachmann engines and have raised this with them some time ago with regard to the Crab, which was so badly afflicted I eventually disposed of it. Their reply and reasoning IIRC was that their wheels were designed to work with Peco Code 75 ? track and that was as far as they thought they needed to go.

Personally I would argue that with the current high standards of R-T-R, the use of a finer than HO Code 75 track shouldn't cause running problems, but this is obviously not so.

Please do not regard this reply as a starter to any OO track debate- its already been done....many times... :rolleyes: :icon_e_smile:

Richard

Archived