Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Hi OzzyO,

I have Olivia's sound fitted to my LMS 4970, the two engines do indeed go in and out of sync, I'm delighted with Olivia's generic sound for the BG and would highly recommend it.

Many thanks for that recommendation

Ozzyo

Er, what automatic stoker? All of the Garratts were manual fired, apart from the U1 when it was converted to oil firing.

Sorry slipshod of me - I meant the rotary bunker - I recall they could make a real racket .

dh

• RMweb Premium

Hi run as required, I have fitted an Olivia's trains chip in mine, it sounds very nice but unfortunately is quite quiet. Fine at home when there is not much background sound but at our club it is somewhat drowned in the general noise. I have reset CV 63 to its loudest but it is still a bit quiet. All that said the range of sounds are superb and clear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

81C why am I surprised you find my post baffling? You appear to find most things indecipherable/ Unsure of Meaning. If you had the gumption to ask perhaps people would explain

• Like 5

Garratts, from what I've heard, were quiet machines much of the time. I suppose the distance from the cylinders down the pipes to the blastpipe may have reduced the woooof a bit. The Welsh Highland Garratts are bare audibel in some places. Same with the old South African ones judging by video.

Here is one quietly raising steam...

edited of course, but still the essential Hattons 47996

smaller numbers, darkened handrails and rods, colouring, steam, smoke and so on.

post-7929-0-75497700-1408689711_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

similar treatment for pristine LMS post-war 7983, an interesting comparison in the way light affects different degrees of working grime, not long after being overhauled perhaps. This pristine model looking very good with some grime added here and there but by no means 'all over'. This is how I recall many actual working steam engines of the 50s and 60s.   In either case, very impressive models.

apologies for repeat of some background.

post-7929-0-14611500-1408689011_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

similar treatment for pristine LMS post-war 7983, an interesting comparison in the way light affects different degrees of working grime, not long after being overhauled perhaps. This pristine model looking very good with some grime added here and there but by no means 'all over'. This is how I recall many actual working steam engines of the 50s and 60s.   In either case, very impressive models.

apologies for repeat of some background.

attachicon.gif7983_Garratt_LMS_shed_3a_r1200_full.jpg

It would look an awful lot better, if there was at least 3 BG's on shed ;) 

Quietly simmering away of course

47975 sold on e-bay today for £171.50 , after allowing for Hattons cheaper postage for the same model which is still available, then this gives him or her a saving of about £25. And there were others bidding too.

I hope he got a bargain. I can only presume he has not followed this thread .

Good luck. Its a beautiful model but I do rather prefer mine to run as well.

oh dear, after my last post #1526 and reporting that all my Garrats are running well, disaster has struck once again, just arrived home from work and gave 266211 47981 a run, after a short time the front motor locked up ! This is the second time this has happened to one of my Garratts and this will be returned to Hattons sometime next week.

This will be the FOURTH BG to suffer a fault and to be quite honest I'm fuming, this shouldn't be happening surely, it had around 4 hours of running in beforehand and was running perfectly, what worries me is that this locking up of a motor could occur again on any of my other Garratts, not sure what to do now, go down the pub and drown my sorrows or kick the cat.

I fully agree Brian there seems to be something amiss.  Two Garratts you've had with the motor problem? Two with other major faults?

I notice 47971 the early BR version part-weathered with block-style numbers is today listed as  '7 in stock' at Hattons, which is interesting because it was unclear how many there are/were in each variant.  I am presuming that quite a few will be retained for spares.

In view of Brian's and other's experience in seized or failed drive mechanisms after sometimes several hours of running, I think we need to know whether this is motor failure (replacement a cure?)  or mechanical seizure in drive train/rods whatever, so that such things are down to a particular failing in design/materials/assembly, and whether it might be possible to strip and fix affected engines.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

It would look an awful lot better, if there was at least 3 BG's on shed ;)

Quietly simmering away of course

I confess I have done photos with three Hornby Scot/rebuilt Patriots in a shed scene, but the thought of 3 Garratts in steam at once is surely unprototypical?  At least two would be out-of-service with hot boxes or other issues....  apart from the work involved I getting them all out of their boxes without bits falling off.

Thanks Rob,

The locking up of a motor is a real concern, as I have said, this has happened twice now and I really would like to know why this major fault occurs after the model has been run in for 3-4 hours with no apparent sign of any problems, i'm nearly at the stage of being extremely worried about operating any of my Garratts from now on and this cannot be right can it ? I decided to visit the pub instead of kicking the cat by the way, the cat lives to see another day, but will any of my Garratts ?

Condolences Brian, and being kind to cats is, um....  surely the civilised thing.

Without knowing what in the drive has locked or failed we cannot really know what to do. And if a motor has stopped, it is not really up to us to diagnose it, unless it's blindingly obvious like a bent or broken rod, a report from Hattons might help, be better than just replacing a percentage of items sold with models which may well have the same issue.  I'm sure it's really hurting sales, but (me being cynical) they may not care if they think they can sell the lot anyway, and then it would become an 'aftermarket issue.'

Edited by robmcg

OK an update on this:

I'm contemplating my 'heavily weathered' 47796 and wondering about...how to tackle the shiny handrails and motion and reduce it to the look of the only one I ever saw in real life

I can report how I eventually grasped the nettle, attacking first with a waft of matt black spray to give a key, then throwing the lot at it: powders (from a set of 'The Works' pastels) and acrylic paints.

After a couple of goes at it - the second in daylight - I was satisfied that it looked like some of the photos I managed to trawl up of Garretts at work. (Wish I could work out how to post pix on this site.)

Then it struck me!

That I'd thoroughly 'messed up' Hatton's wunderkind without first checking whether it actually worked - given all the probs documented here. :scared:

To my huge relief it has run silently and smoothly now  for an hour in both directions.

So I'm as happy as Larry with it - my most expensive loco by far in more than seventy splodge years.

The only minor glitch is that the 'mineral or empty waggon train' lamp only lights up when running bunker first. I'm loath to split it apart to check whether the fibre optic to the other end is adrift until I get round to installing a sound chip.

:boast:

dhig

[edit] Does this pic upload?

post-21705-0-71384400-1408923299.jpg

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I recently received my BR liveried version 47975 and it has been running around flawlessly on my Wakefield West Layout with no problems whatsoever.  One of the first things I did with it is to paint out most of the bright work except the rods and it completely transformed the model.  Am intending for it to go through the weathering wash shed very soon, but here it is arriving into Arnthorpe Yard and then on shed.

oOzc2E.jpg

sOWIGf.jpg

gaLUAE.jpg

I know some people have been having problems with theirs, a friend of mine who has 6! of them has had problems with two, one where the eccentric crank came unscrewed, and another where the front engine unit stopped running.  With the latter, it was the cardan shaft connecting the motor with the top of the gear tower which had come adrift, which was easily fixed, as was the eccentric crank.  Though to be honest, I have seen more problems with engines in red boxes than I have had with this Garratt, and expect to have to fettle them to some degree no matter where they came from.

All I can say is if you get one and it runs as good as mine, be thankful (as I am), as they look and run superb when they do work!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 19

Brilliant photos and thankyou for the comments about some Garratts with issues. I too have had mostly minor problems with new models from purveyors of both red and blue brands, occasional replacements required. I have wanted to think that these lovely large and impressive Garratt models have been put together with at least the same are as other manufacturers' wares, and importantly can usually be fixed if something does go wrong. 

Your pics are especially good, I love them, finest I have seen for a long time. The placement of figures in no.2 is perfect.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone, first time I have shown my layout here on RMWeb as I am on a couple of other forums but wasn't sure if my work would be of the standard of this esteemed forum.

Cheers

Tony

Hi OzzyO,

I have Olivia's sound fitted to my LMS 4970, the two engines do indeed go in and out of sync, I'm delighted with Olivia's generic sound for the BG and would highly recommend it.

Hi Brian,

Have you got any video footage of this for us to have a look at as it is something that I am interested in myself.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry but I'm unable to post video footage for you and others to view as I have absolutely no idea how  to post it on here, I have only filmed it on my I-phone anyway and to be quite honest it is poor quality. i'll try and ask a good friend of mine to help on this subject in the not to distant future, watch this space as they say. 

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry but I'm unable to post video footage for you and others to view as I have absolutely no idea how  to post it on here, I have only filmed it on my I-phone anyway and to be quite honest it is poor quality. i'll try and ask a good friend of mine to help on this subject in the not to distant future, watch this space as they say.

I cracked this prob the other day by googling 'how to post on RMweb' and got directed to a very helpful thread.

I wasn't transferring from a phone but a JPEG on my computer and could just simply copy the file into the post - no complexities with another programme such as Flikr nor nuffink.

dhig