Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

• RMweb Gold

While you had the front tank off did you sus anything as to why the front lamp looks dim?

I was wondering if the led was not lining up properly with the lens in the lamp.

It's witchcraft...  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

No I haven't really looked at it in too much detail to be honest

Lovely to see some improvements from several people to these models.

Can't wait to see 47994 in standard BR guise!

I have a couple of pictures with more editing showing various details but of course they are pictures, not actual modelling. The more I look at pics of the prototypes the more things I see missing from the models, mostly minor though. The area under the bunker on the fireman's side is a minefield, lots of little things could/can be done there.

Overall a great deal of fun, although my sanity is in question.

Of course it had to happen, I have edited-in the various bits mentioned above, darkened bits, played with tone, colour, contrast... added bunker rail extension, various pipes, paraphernalia around bunker rotating-mechanism, reversed and re-sized emblem, and generally enjoyed myself. I love the model, broken bits very minor irritations, and enjoy making my pictures.

So I will keep doing it and hope some enjoy the days of freezing wind, rain and coal trains and engine sheds where you were chased away by foremen, and maybe if you were lucky got a short ride in the cab of an engine with a generous driver, and surly fireman....

post-7929-0-65673500-1407724099_thumb.jpg

I hope toboldlygo your talents with weathering will be displayed soon.

Cheers,

Rob

edit; what magnificent machines! Imagine the above engine leaving the shed, pressure up, injector on, about to take 87 loaded coal wagons towards the South in foul darkening weather... rods flashing in the remaining light as the engine glides past, hissing and huffing with a quiet background roar. Not even clanking. But it will be when it reaches Elstree many hours later, rods, bearings and motion all very warm.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

So I did this as well.... celebrations, 47996 is now in the country...!

This one based on some of the many pics in Irwell's tome showing Garratts at speed, always with endless lines of wagons in tow.

post-7929-0-53248500-1407738352_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I had one last job to do, which was to fabricate the missing lamp iron. I did this late last night, so once I've done a bit of masking on it, I can get started on it in the paint-shop.

post-7000-0-02037300-1407748996_thumb.jpg

It's going to take a lot long than normal to weather as I initially need to spray the boiler and bunkers separately as I don't want to get any varnish on the running gear,

• Like 6

My replacement loco arrived this morning and I must admit to opening the box with some trepidation. Apart from a loose water filler cap and a bent handrail, everything was fine. 

It ran effortlessly straight from the box but stopped on a curve after two or three circuits. It did the same thing once or twice more so I removed it from the track and gave the wheels and pick ups a good clean to remove the excess of oil and paint from the weathering.

Back on the track, it pulled away without a sound and ran sweetly in both directions for a good 3 hours.

While it does have some build quality issues, we can't complain at the price; it provides a good basis for super detailing and/or weathering.

Hatton's service has been superb as usual and they should be congratulated for commissioning this icon.

• Like 3

Still some way to go, but all the airbrushing is done ;)

attachicon.gif47994_nearlyweathered.jpg

Looking beautiful, and I especially like the sanding gear as it appears from that angle. I agree this is what would have been nice from Heljan, but as others have said, there was no price premium, and it's nice to weather things to one's own preference.

edit; p.s. I can just read the numbers, just.... excellent!

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Of course it had to happen, I have edited-in the various bits mentioned above, darkened bits, played with tone, colour, contrast... added bunker rail extension, various pipes, paraphernalia around bunker rotating-mechanism, reversed and re-sized emblem, and generally enjoyed myself. I love the model, broken bits very minor irritations, and enjoy making my pictures.

So I will keep doing it and hope some enjoy the days of freezing wind, rain and coal trains and engine sheds where you were chased away by foremen, and maybe if you were lucky got a short ride in the cab of an engine with a generous driver, and surly fireman....

attachicon.gif47981_Garratt_new_weathered_portrait_44abc_full_r1200a.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

edit; what magnificent machines! Imagine the above engine leaving the shed, pressure up, injector on, about to take 87 loaded coal wagons towards the South in foul darkening weather... rods flashing in the remaining light as the engine glides past, hissing and huffing with a quiet background roar. Not even clanking. But it will be when it reaches Elstree many hours later, rods, bearings and motion all very warm.

What a wonderful pic! Best yet from Rob? Real work of art.

Thanks very much Joseph, I can never tell how others see my pictures. Sometimes I go back and look at what I did a month ago and think, 'gawd! how did I do that so badly?' ... or well, depending on my mood.

Cheers, and are we not all waiting for toboldlygo's finished 47994 !

I have 47996 pics likely later this week.

Rob

I got my BG from Hatton's via DHL over the weekend. The only problem was the loose filler cap. It looks and runs great, but... like some others have commented, it derails on some of my Peco points, including trailing straight points. I have looked closely but can't see anything touching the rails like has been noted. I read all the  other comments about the same issue but decided not to deal with it at this point since my fiddle yard isn't large enough to handle another freight train anyway. It will go on display on a shelf and then at some point, if I can ever make a larger fiddle yard, deal with it then. It is a great model and I'm pleased with it, but in hindsight should not have got it at this point. Yeah well, such is life. lol

• Like 2

Dear All,

I OWE HATTONS and Heljan an APOLOGY.

Putting 47981 back into its box I saw a small black smudge under the end of the pivoting plastic housing end, the end flap part... barely visible but in good light, a weathered buffer head and shank.

How did I miss that?

I am so EMBARRASSED!

Here then is the new 47996, also 47981 with intact buffer...

47996 has perhaps a little more dirty brown/grey on the sides/boiler, but less grime on the top. But less over numbers...

post-7929-0-60745800-1407807777.jpg

post-7929-0-43511900-1407808179.jpg

post-7929-0-26905500-1407821603.jpg

post-7929-0-41267900-1407825693.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

With much trepidation, after what has been said on here regarding performance, the beast was given a run on the DRAG test track last night.

At first there was a very hesitant performance with inexplicable stopping here and there and some de-railments on the Peco pointwork, though they are old and a bit coarse when the loco has relatively fine flanges.

First thoughts were that it would have to go back for replacement, but after a while the stopping and starting ceased and it ran smoothly and quietly. A very impressive machine, so hats off to Heljan and Hattons for being so bold in producing this delight. I've yet to clean off all the crud on the treads (looks like mostly weathering paint).

Extensive running-in will be done before any attempt is made to remove of the wheels sets for conversion. It looks as if it is feasible if I can figure out how to remove the keeper plates (they look like that's what they are!....no screws). The plan is to drill out and gently ream 1/8th > 2mm bushes and fit to the Ultrascales in order to use the existing axles. They look to be 2.5mm but can't be sure until they're out of the frames.

A few alterations to the body will need to be done like new smaller numbers and the correct BR logo and the extension of the tender 'shelf' to the correct length and a very heavy weathering applied. 

All in all, greatly pleased with it after last night.

'Little and Large!'

post-6728-0-36265400-1407836573_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

With much trepidation, after what has been said on here regarding performance, the beast was given a run on the DRAG test track last night.

At first there a very hesitant performance with inexplicable stopping here and there and some de-railments on the Peco pointwork, though they are old and a bit coarse when the loco has relatively fine flanges.

First thoughts were that it would have to go back for replacement, but after a while the stopping and starting ceased and it ran smoothly and quietly. A very impressive machine, so hats off to Heljan and Hattons for being so bold in producing this delight. I've yet to clean off all the crud on the treads (looks like mostly weathering paint).

Extensive running-in will be done before any attempt is made to remove of the wheels sets for conversion. It looks as if it is feasible if I can figure out how to remove the keeper plates (they look like that's what they are!....no screws). The plan is to drill out and gently ream 1/8th > 2mm bushes and fit to the Ultrascales in order to use the existing axles. They look to be 2.5mm but can't be sure until they're out of the frames.

A few alterations to the body will need to be done like new smaller numbers and the correct BR logo and the extension of the tender 'shelf' to the correct length and a very heavy weathering applied. 

All in all, greatly pleased with it after last night.

'Little and Large!'

attachicon.gif001.JPG

The numbers are in the wrong place for a start.  They are too close to the outer ends, they should be central on the tanks.

It will be interesting to see your solution for the tender 'shelf', moving the numbers lessens it a bit.

And don't forget to add the missing lamp iron ;)

• RMweb Gold

...........It will be interesting to see your solution for the tender 'shelf', moving the numbers lessens it a bit.

My thinking is to remove the six small triangular supports and extend the 'shelf' using suitable thickness plastic card. Make some new small supports, suitably spaced and finish the top with a strip of thin plastic card or more likely a strip of pre-painted 5 thou brass shimstock .

As mentioned in an earlier post, this correction, along with moving/replacing of the numbers (they do look a bit large) will allow the characteristic vertical stain to be reproduced passing through the fourth numeral (2nd on the other side!)

Hadn't thought about the lamp bracket yet!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2