Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

They're having a laugh with a price like that.

A bit of a cheek really after the fiasco that was their original Garrett.

If you look at the second hand ones on flea-bay that have actually sold (quite a lot), they usually go in the area of £350 (although some have been as low as £272, one as high as £450)

So don't knock Hattons for trying for £300!

Tony. 

If you look at the second hand ones on flea-bay that have actually sold (quite a lot), they usually go in the area of £350 (although some have been as low as £272, one as high as £450)

So don't knock Hattons for trying for £300!

Tony. 

I suppose you can't blame them for trying if someone is willing to pay that price although I can't imagine why unless someone needs an expensive ornament.

I guess a lot of people will not know of the problems associated with this loco Tony and will look at the option of getting their hands on one.  I have read recently about some problems with Heljans 02 but cannot remember if it was a problem now or looking at a problem later due to the Garratt.  I have a feeling there was something about Flimsy valve gear (sound familiar?) and the loco derailing being front or rear heavy.   I can say I will not be looking at a Heljan loco again.

Garry

The O2s have been one batch with one shop it seems other than the odd issue that can happen with any RTR model.

If people are fighting over these E-Bay, then I certainly would have more confidence paying £300 at Hattons than £270 to some unknown private seller on e-bay. I have one of these models and no issue - yet! Touch wood. But would be weary had I not got one new and was looking at a secondhand one.

I guess a lot of people will not know of the problems associated with this loco Tony and will look at the option of getting their hands on one.  I have read recently about some problems with Heljans 02 but cannot remember if it was a problem now or looking at a problem later due to the Garratt.  I have a feeling there was something about Flimsy valve gear (sound familiar?) and the loco derailing being front or rear heavy.   I can say I will not be looking at a Heljan loco again.

Garry

If there's a problem with other Heljan locos then they may have a quality control problem or else they're simply underbidding other manufacturers in order to get contracts.

Personally I wouldn't preorder any more locos no matter how special they might be. I'll simply wait until they are produced & then make up my mind after others have reviewed them.

If that means I miss out then so be it.

The O2s have been one batch with one shop it seems other than the odd issue that can happen with any RTR model.

If people are fighting over these E-Bay, then I certainly would have more confidence paying £300 at Hattons than £270 to some unknown private seller on e-bay. I have one of these models and no issue - yet! Touch wood. But would be weary had I not got one new and was looking at a secondhand one.

Well its still on Hattons site & no takers so far.

There are also about 8 more on the usual auction site asking for crazy money.

• Like 1

... I have read recently about some problems with Heljan's 02 but cannot remember if it was a problem now or looking at a problem later due to the Garratt.  I have a feeling there was something about flimsy valve gear (sound familiar?) and the loco derailing being front or rear heavy.   I can say I will not be looking at a Heljan loco again...

Your choice, but from a careful inspection of two Garratts (owned by friends) and my own O2 I see no fundamental problems with design or execution of the mechanisms. Given a proper degree of care in handling and appropriate lubrication I don't expect to have any significant issues. My O2 has been given an extended running test to flush out any early life problems, and has proved good for all of smooth and quiet operation, trackholding and tractive performance; overall I would rate it the best RTR OO 2-8-0 I have yet received by a very short head from Bach's WD ( 8F, O4, O1 the other competitors). Waiting impatiently for versions with the GNR style cab and tender!

When comparing different manufacturers design and construction, there's always a difference in 'the mix' of approach and characteristics from one to another. The Heljan is a clear leader for the loco weight essential for good traction, and the wheelsets and gear; these are very well done and I would call particular attention to the enhanced appearance of the small diameter pony truck wheelset thanks to the very fine flanges. Weakest elements in my opinion the pony truck frame representation, lack of a fallplate and a rather basic loco to tender coupling with no provision for adjusting the spacing to scale. Already dealt with the latter pair, and now giving thought to a better pony truck frame.

I'm close to Thetford?

Hi - can I take you up on this offer?  I think you seem to be my best chance to get my loco fixed!

I can post it to you and come over to collect, or drive it over and hen collect whichever works best for you?

Looking at the maps, I'm only about an hour away from Chatteris.

Many thanks in advance for your very kind offer.

Whereabouts are you? I'm in Cambs and could have a look

Hi - can I take you up on this offer?  I think you seem to be my best chance to get my loco fixed!

I can post it to you and come over to collect, or drive it over and hen collect whichever works best for you?

Looking at the maps, I'm only about an hour away from Chatteris.

Many thanks in advance for your very kind offer.

• RMweb Gold

The Garratt was a good model IF you got a good'un out of the box Ian. ;)

Point taken.However not quite the case,is it ? BG failures have occurred after hours of trouble free running,it seems.Whereas the O2 seems immediately to reveal running difficulties/QC errors.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Point taken.However not quite the case,is it ? BG failures have occurred after hours of trouble free running,it seems.Whereas the O2 seems immediately to reveal running difficulties/QC errors.

Failures were a mix of out of the box and many hours, months later.

The Garret IS a complex model and DOES need to be handled very carefully. Personally I prefer giving my heavy freight work to one of my venerable 9Fs especially when other people start to help running a layout!

Either way with them and the Diesel disaster , it doesn't encourage people to invest their hard earned in their models, quite sad.

• RMweb Premium

Either way with them and the Diesel disaster , it doesn't encourage people to invest their hard earned in their models, quite sad.

??????

I've got seven Heljan diesels; they're all good reliable, powerful and quiet locos.

• RMweb Gold

??????

I've got seven Heljan diesels; they're all good reliable, powerful and quiet locos.

Agree, I've got approaching 30 Heljan diesels. Apart from the well documented, now ancient, Clayton chassis replacement issues (which was swiftly replaced by the supplier), the rest are prodigious haulers, smooth, quiet, from very slow to fast. Even the 05 shunter will pull approaching 40 wagons.

Well its still on Hattons site & no takers so far.

There are also about 8 more on the usual auction site asking for crazy money.

If anybody is interested, some here, starting at £240 a piece: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/Heljan-beyer-garratts/

Not too bad....

No connection, just an occasional customer)

If anybody is interested, some here, starting at £240 a piece: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/Heljan-beyer-garratts/

Not too bad....

No connection, just an occasional customer)

Not bad at all but could you be sure you'd get a decent one ?

You'd have to get some sort of guarantee with them to give you confidence.

• RMweb Gold

Not bad at all but could you be sure you'd get a decent one ?

You'd have to get some sort of guarantee with them to give you confidence.

The only way to find out is to phone them and ask.I would imagine they are to be 'sold as seen'. Olivia's do sell on Heljan defect/repairs and once did stock new BG's but then stopped because,so it was said,they met with the familiar difficulties that presented themselves.Now here they are again.There might conceivably be a possibility that these are in fact 'repairs'. Worth a gamble ? Well,maybe.....no way of knowing though what their provenance is

To add to the mix ,Olivia's offer a 10% discount off everything this Easter weekend. You pays your money etc.

I emailed Olivia's & received a reply.

The locos are pre owned & according to the email don't have the problems which beset this model.

It seems the problems were the valve gear locking up & causing a motor burnout ?

I also asked if they came with some sort of guarantee but didn't really get an answer to that.

I'm tempted but I'm still not reassured. Its a big chunk of change to be risking on the off chance that nothing will go wrong.

Once bitten, twice shy & all that sort of thing.

• RMweb Premium
It seems the problems were the valve gear locking up & causing a motor burnout ?

I don't recall seeing anything on here, but has anyone worked out what the valve gear lock up is, and how to unlock it ?  I assume if you get in fast enough, you can save the motor.

Adrian