Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

On the subject of quality control, I have just noticed this morning that my 266209 has suffered a very noticeable dent on one side of the water tank, the lighting in my railway room is not very good and I've been running in the latest BG's very late at night so this fault was hard to find, however, bright sunshine bursting into the room this morning picked it up, another one heading back to Hattons.

I would be very interested to know exactly how many BG's have been returned because of various faults since their release.

Rob, you must be very disappointed with your 47981, we all know how very much you were looking forward to receiving this model, hope it all works out well in the end for you.

Yes Brian it was a disappointment but my emotions often have to deal with that! Only a model, after all, and Hattons have been brilliant... I think it was galling that someone assembled a damaged part, perhaps knowingly, perhaps it was not noticed. And QC didn't see it.

From Hattons just now (9pm UK)...

>>Dear McGavin

Many thanks for your reply.

We shall locate the parts you require for your Beyer Garratt model and sent them to you as soon as possible.

I hope this helps but if you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

John Deam

Retail Assistant <<

So replacement OR repair seems to be an unfortunate result of perhaps shoddy assembly (any different to Hornby or Bachmann, I wonder?) ..and we ought to all end up with Garratts which are perfect and will last forever, just like the prototypes. Oh. No. Wait....

Sorry to hear about your 47996 requiring replacement, it IS disappointing.

Edited by robmcg

Just put mine on some rollers and noticed one end is running faster than the other. Hope that running in cures this.

Has anyone found what the problem is regarding the front lamp. Mine is lit but not as bright as the rear one. Wondering if it may just be the light inside the tank missaligned with the lens.

I would suspect mechanical resistance somewhere in the rear motor-drivetrain-axles-rods before anything else.

If one motor is weaker than another, that would be bad.

Hope it evens out perhaps with lubrication, checking, and running in.

Well I can safely say the haulage capabilities are incredible - 25 coaches with ease...

You means you have a model which appears to work? Eureka!

Now we look forward to some weathering grot. Have you decided on a number?

• RMweb Gold

You means you have a model which appears to work? Eureka!

Now we look forward to some weathering grot. Have you decided on a number?

I have video evidence, which once I figure out how to post it will show the BG managing the feat ;)

I'm awaiting some Hornby Dummy 3 link's to replace the Heljan ones, removed the errant brakes, figured out how to deassemble etc. Oh and made a new spray plinth for it, it just fits in the spray booth!

It's going to be one of the longer lived ones, probably 47994 ;)

In the  weeks  since  the  BG  first  became  available (LMS Versions)   my loosley connected group of  fellow modellers  have  purchased at the last  count  approx 16 RTR New locos from Hornby, Bachmann & Heljan  only 1 of  which  was rejected  because of problems, if my calculations are   correct  thats  about  6%

Now  we  don't have any idea of  how  many BGs have been sold so far  nor do I think it is probable  we  ever  will, but  the number of  reprted problems on here do seem to indicate  that the proportion of faulty locos  may be higher than average.

It is a real shame  because  the situation  could make  those companies  who commision  these 'exclusive' models  to maybe ' think twice'  in the  future.

Edited by Stevelewis

Has anyone noticed that the top middle lamp iron is missing on the rear of the loco?

Yes, I noticed and may a have mentioned it about 100 pages back, I add them dutifully to some of my edited pics. A bent piece of staple might have to suffice as an actual modelling improvement, or even an LMS style lamp...

• Like 1

I have video evidence, which once I figure out how to post it will show the BG managing the feat ;)

I'm awaiting some Hornby Dummy 3 link's to replace the Heljan ones, removed the errant brakes, figured out how to deassemble etc. Oh and made a new spray plinth for it, it just fits in the spray booth!

It's going to be one of the longer lived ones, probably 47994 ;)

47994 was the last and is the only one in my Observers Book. March 1958 I think it was withdrawn.

My 1957 Ian Allan ABC book had 17 left, Winter 1956-7 Edition.

47967-8-9, 71-2-3 8-9, 80-1-2 6-7-8, 94-5 8.

I'm pleased to hear the model fits in the spray booth! You realise of course that Garratts never hauled carriages and that 25 of them is highly un-BR-like. Or did they ever haul passengers?

robmcg, on 07 Aug 2014 - 21:19, said:

I would suspect mechanical resistance somewhere in the rear motor-drivetrain-axles-rods before anything else.

If one motor is weaker than another, that would be bad.

Hope it evens out perhaps with lubrication, checking, and running in.

If you noticed my follow up post you will see that the front motor gave up its ghost after ten minutes of running.

I will take it back to the shop on Saturday for replacement.

• RMweb Gold

47994 was the last and is the only one in my Observers Book. March 1958 I think it was withdrawn.

My 1957 Ian Allan ABC book had 17 left, Winter 1956-7 Edition.

47967-8-9, 71-2-3 8-9, 80-1-2 6-7-8, 94-5 8.

I'm pleased to hear the model fits in the spray booth! You realise of course that Garratts never hauled carriages and that 25 of them is highly un-BR-like. Or did they ever haul passengers?

Why do you think I chose 47994 lol

Was just a haulage test, besides it would have taken me far longer to unpack all the wagons!!

If you noticed my follow up post you will see that the front motor gave up its ghost after ten minutes of running.

I will take it back to the shop on Saturday for replacement.

Ah my apologies. And commiserations. It's very poor and disappointing, Hattons must be furious at the apparent quality control failures. I presume Heljan were contracted to supply 'x' items fit-for-purpose.

• RMweb Premium

47994 was the last and is the only one in my Observers Book. March 1958 I think it was withdrawn.My 1957 Ian Allan ABC book had 17 left, Winter 1956-7 Edition.47967-8-9, 71-2-3 8-9, 80-1-2 6-7-8, 94-5 8.I'm pleased to hear the model fits in the spray booth! You realise of course that Garratts never hauled carriages and that 25 of them is highly un-BR-like. Or did they ever haul passengers?

I'm not sure that toboldlygo was conducting a prototypical test, I could be wrong but I suspect he knows that coal wagons were the beasts bread and butter. Maybe he doesn't have enough coal wagons to conduct a suitable test. I haven't and I have a lot.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that toboldlygo was conducting a prototypical test, I could be wrong but I suspect he knows that coal wagons were the beasts bread and butter. Maybe he doesn't have enough coal wagons to conduct a suitable test. I haven't and I have a lot.

Andy

I certainly don't have enough coal wagons, using the 'Planet Killer' Maunsell rake + 8 more was just to see if anything would break on the BG - which it didn't :P

I've had an assortment of 96 freight wagons behind my LMS 4970 and if my layout was larger it would of handled 196 wagons with ease, very impressive hauling capabilities indeed, not yet tried my other BG's though :sungum:

Great, Brian, and I have had a pleasant 40 minutes 'fixing' my portrait of the slightly damaged 47981, buffer beam repaired, buffer head added, steps straightened, brakes removed, details added here and there, handrails blackened, tank sides made grubbier, some water staining (there was quite a bit on the top of the front tank anyway), emblem reversed, and generally made slightly grubbier and into a much nicer-looking model. More to come in a few days.

Given that Hattons are so quick at redressing the damage to the model, I am now thinking what a fine model for under £200...

post-7929-0-22273000-1407456109.jpg

• Like 1

Here are two un-modified pics of the model (except for background) as it was when it arrived yesterday, the top pic show the far handrail on the front tank bent and one stanchion out, in the lower pic have I already fixed this, as well as rotating a front footrest.

Gives an idea of the factory weathering, I hope.

post-7929-0-15042400-1407464007.jpg

post-7929-0-15778600-1407464033.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

The finish resembles what would be called almost ex works appearance in BR steam days. But if anyone is apprehensive about their weathering capabilities, might I suggest they spray the smokebox matt for starters. Matt tops to tank, coal bunker and cab roof would also help make the loco look more workaday.

Edited by coachmann

Mine arrived last week, I paid on the Wednesday at about 4.30pm, and it was there by 10am on Thursday. Hattons were very patient, as I had to postpone the payment and delivery about 5 weeks due to moving home and all the expense that involves.

I think it is a lovely model (47992), especially for the price. I haven't had chance to run it yet, as the layout is on its side in the garage so don't know if there will be any problems with its running. The water cap was loose in the box, as was one of the small windows to the side of the revolving bunker, and also the end of one of the sand pipes, also the curved support for the bunker is loose on one side. All little fixes, not worthy of a return.

Has anyone started to detail one of the Heljan Garratts? (I must check the work benches on the forum).

Looking at 'The Book of the L M Garratts' there are a few things that could be done. (At this point it is easy to sound like a rivet counter, but I have no complaints about the model). A few pipes and rods could be added, some of the locos had patch plates (presumably to cover rust), new link couplings, etc. I also have a feeling that the roof vents are too big, and would remodel those. I am tempted to renumber it to 47994 so it fits better with my era (late  crest mostly), and add a new forward facing crest on the left (or both sides if that looks better). It will be weathered too.

Can't wait to run it, but might be working away from home the next two weeks, so no fun with it for a little while. My layout does have two through goods lines alongside the station, which were for cross Pennine coal trains, so as far as running a Garratt fits very well.

One question that I am puzzled about after reading the booklet, does the loco come fitted with a speaker, or have I misread the DCC instructions. If it does, I think the extra for a sound chip would be well worth it. I will re-read the thread in more detail soon (no internet at the new home yet, so cafe's are not the best place for a long read).

I also need to have a good look at the inside of the cab, it looked at first lance as though there was something raised, but as I havien't had chance to examine that closely, I am not sure what it is.

Any thoughts about detailing or speakers would be appreciated.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived in Oz yesterday late, looked at it under the magnifier in the light today...........WHAT A BEAUTY, yes a couple of things need to be looked at (coupling chains , bogie brakes, etc. but I never thought I would open a box for this to pop out.  Have to say some of the models we are seeing today could not have been contemplated just a few years ago. Hope Hattons/ Heljan make a few Bucks from this.

Rgds.......Mike

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Well my replacement BG has now had several hours of running, in both directions, through reverse curves of 24incn radius and round other curves down to 22inch radius and it has performed faultlessly. It runs really smoothly now and not a single derailment since I tweaked the pony brakes,

I have a few minor cosmetic issues (cab handrail loose, mark in the weathering on the bunker side and the usual steps at all angles and loose) but I will not be sending this one back as it runs so well.

One thing that is puzzling me is the way that the rotary bunker enters the back of the cab. It appears to be offset to one side with the loco on straight track. Can anyone comment on this? Is the revolving part of the bunker separate from the tank? Can it be adjusted? I can't believe that it could have been moulded like it. Any of your observations would be much appreciated.

Anyway 9/10 to Heljan for the model and a resounding TEN for Hattons for making such a model available and at such a great price!

John

• Like 1

I too looked along the top of the loco and noticed a misalignment. Now this was after I had stripped down the loco to spray it, and re-assembled. There is a definite knack to re-assembly which I documented here, some of the info is also good for straight-from-the-box examples too I reckon:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87816-Heljan-garratt-problems/  #5

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Got my sound chip from Olivia's trains, bit of a faff getting it fitted, I did not use the supplied speaker on the loco, but used the round speaker with the lok sound v4. Got everything back together and it sounds absolutely stunning, with random safety valve spurts and even the two sets running in and out of sync. Will need to fine tune running but the sound chip really brings it to life.

I would post a video if I knew how! Just have to pray it continues to run as faultlessly as it has done so far.

• Like 6

Got my sound chip from Olivia's trains, bit of a faff getting it fitted, I did not use the supplied speaker on the loco, but used the round speaker with the lok sound v4. Got everything back together and it sounds absolutely stunning, with random safety valve spurts and even the two sets running in and out of sync. Will need to fine tune running but the sound chip really brings it to life.

I would post a video if I knew how! Just have to pray it continues to run as faultlessly as it has done so far.

Now you are making me jealous!