Maidstone West to Strood mid 1970s

Jim

Hi,

As a lad in the mid 70s in the Maidstone area, I used to watch two-car, all blue EMU stock bimble between Strood, Maidstone West and Paddock Wood.

For the life of me, I cannot recall whether the units were 2HAPs or 2EPBs on the off peak services.

The Maidstone East to Victoria route ran 2HAPs on Sundays but the West line ran two cars all week, and still does, all be it class 466 Networkers!

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Could they have been both? My recollection is that there was a 30 minute service north of Maidstone, but a 60 minute service south thereof. I think 2-EPB on the "shorts" and 2-HAP on the Paddock Woods, perhaps? Did the up HAP service connect at Strood with the up Ramsgate - CX via Dartford service, also offering 1st class?

• RMweb Gold

Already a historic photo in at least 3 respects! The 2-EPBs are gone (except chez Bachmann, natch), the shelter is now a modern thingie, and that M2 bridge in the distance now has a neighbour in the CTRL. The current view is here http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/CUX/images/photos/800/o1615-0000035.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The service was advertised as second class only for the most part and would therefore have been worked by single or paired 2EPB units. There were some exceptions. Through trains to and from London (most of which ran via Strood but a few at times have run via Paddock Wood) generally had both classes of travel and were worked by 2x2Hap. These would have been attached to / detached from more coaches at Strood or Tonbridge. The very occasional appearance of a 4Cep was sufficiently noteworthy as to be commented upon in the various "unusual workings" sections of enthusiast magazines.

In later years some 2EPB units were modified for conductor-guard working on this route. If memory serves they had a door cut through from the guard's brake into the saloon in the DMBS and all interior solid panels were opened out.

the West line ran two cars all week, and still does, all be it class 466 Networkers!

Occaisionally 4 car 375 Electrostars are used on the line if the Notworkers, sorry Networkers are in for servicing! I am a signaller based at East Farleigh on the line.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

the West line ran two cars all week, and still does, all be it class 466 Networkers!

Occaisionally 4 car 375 Electrostars are used on the line if the Notworkers, sorry Networkers are in for servicing! I am a signaller based at East Farleigh on the line.

Colin

Have you still got some of those delectable signals - such as the superb SR bracket just round the corner from the 'box?

Have you still got some of those delectable signals - such as the superb SR bracket just round the corner from the 'box?

Hi Mike,

Sadly no they re signalled the line about 6 years ago and all the semaphores were taken down :( however I can claim to be one of the few box's left with manual crossing gates, where we have to go out to close them, no wheel here!

Colin

Brilliant!

That's cleared something up! Ive just remembered around the summer of '78 or '79 putting my push bike onto a HAP at Beltring but remember EPBs going past the Allington quarry siding.

So, it seemed for the industrial half of the line it was second only but the posh end of the line first was provided by the HAPs!

Jim

I suspect there was a bit of variation over the years in the rolling stock used. Started spotting in Strood in 1977, and recall 2HAPs as the normal stock, with through rush hour services a 4-EPB detached from a 10-car formation at Strood (the remaining 6 going to Gillingham). Will see if I can find my early notebooks.

Brilliant!

That's cleared something up! Ive just remembered around the summer of '78 or '79 putting my push bike onto a HAP at Beltring but remember EPBs going past the Allington quarry siding.

So, it seemed for the industrial half of the line it was second only but the posh end of the line first was provided by the HAPs!

Jim

"posh end". That's the first time that I've heard Paddock Wood being included in "posh". I travelled to school from PW to Tonbridge (78-85) and was looked down on because of my origin..!

The last train we could catch to arrive at school on time was a through train off the branch at approximately 8.20. Recollections of train length are hazy but 4 coaches feels right. I was not aware of the difference between HAPS and 2EPBS (presumably a HAP from the above) but I do remember that sometimes we got in a coach with no corridor but with dogboxes. So once the train had departed Paddock Wood, there was no one to disturb you at all - which was obviously favourable. It was a rare treat - but mainly because I preferred to catch an earlier train.

• RMweb Premium

I've lived just down the road from Teston level crossing for nearly 40 years, and after my interest was rekindled, I can recall refurbished 2EPBs of the number series 64xx in blue/grey livery being the mainstay of the line for several years. The 47s and occasional 56 on the Allington stone trains were far more interesting though !

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Sadly no they re signalled the line about 6 years ago and all the semaphores were taken down :( however I can claim to be one of the few box's left with manual crossing gates, where we have to go out to close them, no wheel here!

Colin

A good job I got there with the camera back in 1993 thenwink.gif

A good job I got there with the camera back in 1993 thenwink.gif

I have still got the station building here at East Farleigh, although closed to passengers. We have been told Network Rail's plans for the Medway Valley line for the future, providing they get the funding. Snodland box is due to close next year, with everything moving to Aylesford, but at the moment the rest of the line won't be touched until 2024! :unsure:

Colin

And rounding off with a survey from a trawl through my photos, arranged by year. '01' and '61' are where the headcodes for Strood-Maidstone and Strood-Paddock Wood are visible on the photo.

This doesn't mean that what I photographed was necessarily the regular stuff (e.g. 2x4CEP in the snow was exceptional), but a lot of the shots were "scenic" shots of the normal workings rather than snaps of something odd.

For what it's worth:

2HAP 61

2HAP 01

2EPB

1980/81

4CEP 61

2HAP 61

1981/2

4CEP 61

4CEP 61

4CEP 61

4EPB 61

4EPB 01

4EPB 61

4CEP 61

4CEP 61

4EPB 61

4CEP 61

2EPB 01

4EPB 01

4EPB 01

4CEP (snow - possibly disruption)

4VEP (snow - possibly disruption)

2x4CEP (snow - almost definitely disruption)

4CEP 61 (Jaffa cake livery)

4CEP 61 (Jaffa cake livery)

1986/7 4VEP

• RMweb Premium

Just think,

Now the fastest domestic traction in the UK travels over the metals where the little old HAPs and EPBs used to bimble along!

Yes. But not on the Strood - Paddock Wood line. They do come through Strood from St. Pancras but turn sharp left for Rochester and stations to Margate.

• RMweb Premium

Must be new. They didn't used to and IIRC were considered potentially out of gauge for London Road Tunnel at Maidstone at one stage. My apologies for failing to keep abreast of such changes from such a distance :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't aware of this, either. In fairness, Maidstone as County Town has always had a crap service to London, compared to, say, Tonbridge or Chatham, so getting Javelins direct is a bit of a justified leg-up.

EDIT Totally OT, I happened to be looking on my ebay page when up popped an ad for Karen Millen, ladies fashions. When Deb and I shopped in Maidstone in the '80s, we used to see her original shop in the Blue Star Centre. Now under other ownership, the brand sells in 23 other countries, with shops in NYC and LA among many others. Success can come from starting in Maidstone, it seems!

Bonus points for the first photo from Cuxton station of a Javelin going to Maidstone while another flies across the Medway viaduct in the background. With only 3 a day in each direction, sounds like a case for tripod and photoshop.

Having grown up in Strood on a diet of EPBs and more EPBs, seeing all those pointy-nosed fast things around the place just looks entirely wrong!