The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recent British Crime/Mystery Authors

trisonic

I've been through my local library listing of British authors in the mystery/crime section (yep, I'm hooked on this stuff).

I like authors like Stuart McBride but also enjoy "cosy mystery" type stuff when I'm homesick.......I'm not up to date, generally on post 20th century authors.

Please recommend some..........thanks!

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

Have you tried Christopher Brookmyre? Another Scottish author, sometimes absurd but with a lot of dark humour and can be savagely funny. Can be patchy, but definitely start with "The Sacred Art of Stealing" and also consider "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night", "Boiling a Frog", "All Fun and Games until Someone Loses an Eye", "Snowball in Hell" and "A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil". Avoid "Pandaemonium" until you've read a few others, if you like him at all that is. Read with a Glaswegian accent (like Taggart).

I'd agree on Rebus ... and Stephen Booth's 'Fry & Cooper' series is worth a try - set in the Peak District and very brooding, though the last couple have been slightly disappointing.

And then there's Reginald Hill and the 'Dalziel & Pascoe' books - been around a long time, but highly recommended.

I'll certainly add another recommendation for Mark Billingham - if you like Rebus, then Billingham's Thorne will be just the job. Also mentioned on this site before are Edward Marston's Railway Detective series. Definitely verging towards the "cosy crime" genre, but a good, pretty easy read with some interesting characters and locales. I've also read and enjoyed a few of Val Mc Dermid's books - think of her as a British Patricia Cornwell (and I only say that because PC is probably better-known, worldwide), and you'll know what you're getting.

• Like 1

If you want a selection of less run of the mill, but first class writers try:

Philip Kerr's excellent stories about Bernie Gunther, an honest German cop, caught up in the pre & post-war Nazi Germany.

C.J Sansom's Shardlake series, a lawyer threading his way between King, State and truth in Tudor England

Malcolm Pryce's noir and funny Aberystwyth series

Jason Goodwin's Otterman Empire, Yashim, stories

Michelle Spring, the Laura Principal series

Any John Harvey, Resnick novel

That should keep you quiet for a while!

(If you want to know, how I know, part of my work is reviewing Crime Novels (it's a hard life but someone's got to do it!) All these are so good it makes me want to give up writing my own!

Andrew Martins Jim Stringer Novels?, another Railway detective but the series starts off with him as a Fireman and follows him through Railway Police at York, and the last novel has him at the Somme as part of a Railway Pals battallion

• Like 1

Thanks for more suggestions. I've already looked for Marston but he seems unavailable over here at present (without going crazy, I mean). I think Val McDermid is MUCH better than Pat Cornwell - in her later books the good guys are riddled with extreme (and unlikely paranoia) and the bad guys all seem to be members of Mensa - I find this truly irritating.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I have recently come across Simon Kernick and have read 3 or 4 so far. They are perhaps best read in order if you can work it out via the dates of publication as they seem to build on the characters in them. It is mostly based around the work of SOCA (Serious Organised Crime Agency) that is the new version of the National Crime Squad which replaced the Regional Crime Squad that I worked in for 4 years. So I do have an insight into the writings and from my memory he is fairly accurate and in one book does even mention one case that I was involved in which took me a little by surprise. He obviously has good contacts within the Police and his writing style is engaging and believable.

Well worth a read and I am steadily wading through them when I can find them. Have found a couple in charity shops and some from people at work who have come across him as well but I will not hesitate to buy them new if I have to. Via RMWeb Amazon of course.rolleyes.gif

Regards Chris

• RMweb Premium

Andrew Martins Jim Stringer Novels?, another Railway detective but the series starts off with him as a Fireman and follows him through Railway Police at York, and the last novel has him at the Somme as part of a Railway Pals battallion

Another vote for Andrew Martin, I read his first novel (set mainly around Nine Elms) recently and am now looking for the others.

• RMweb Premium

I have read all seven of Marston's 'Railway Detective books and passed my copies on to a friend. He is on holiday at present but when he returns hopefully I can get them back and pass them on to you Pete. It all depends on the postage costs.

Phil,

That's very kind of you but I believe the postage will be too high (in my experience). Do list the 7 full tiles and I'll be more diligent in seeking them out over here.

That way you'll be able to keep them for reference too......(which is important in case any of them go out of print...)

Best, Pete.

Craig Holden

Jefferson Parker

RD Wingfields Inspector Frost series?

I don't know if you are into Alternate History, but (assuming you can get hold of it ) Randall Garretts "Lord Darcy" series - A single Volume containing all the stories should be available through Baen Books - some info http://www.webscript.../0743435486.htm

You may find some suggestions here http://www.lovereadi...d-Thriller.html

and more suggestions, though I wouldn't agree with all of them by any means, http://www.telegraph...re-you-die.html

Thank you for all the suggestions! I do prefer comtemporary fiction. Think Dennis Lehane "Mystic River"- which I recommend to anyone.

I've tried Phil Rickman/Merrily Watkins and found his character profoundly irritating!!!!! That's just me, I don't believe in supernatural stuff.

Best, Pete.

Hi,

Any of Graham Hurley's "Faraday" novels. A comtemporary Morse, well possibly but a deal grittier than Morse. Set in Portsmouth. My only comment would be to read them in order as they do then make more sense.

Something a bit off the wall - Charles Stross's Halting State and Rule 34.

Stu

Hi Pete,

I'm currently working my way through the Inspector Banks novels by Peter Robinson and am really enjoying them. Banks is an ex London cop who has transferred to a small town in the Yorkshire dales which seems to have a phenominal murder rate! The stories are full of twists and turns, not to mention the odd red herring, and really keep your attention right to the last page.

I understand that Ian Rankin speaks highly of them, which is no bad recommendation.

• Like 2