Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Gold

My wife and I used to have the same "there must be a piece missing" conversation so often that in the end we got a post-it and stuck "There are no pieces missing!" on the cupboard above the jigsaw table.

• Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

B17 with main coat of paint on. I spent as long preparing and masking it as I did all the work before.

IMG_20240101_122008098.jpg.eb4eae90bdca337cb7580fd2be9cb207.jpg

What I have done with my Airfix one and any other metal finish aircraft, is to pick out the odd panel in different shades of silver/aluminium.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not exactly the worlds greatest quality photo given the focal length, but part of a 15" x 36", 1/35 scale street scene diorama that I'm in the course of building, this being one of the corner pieces.

Say cheese......

DSCF0100.JPG.3f36b0dfaa1a3b7f836f0224007a15d3.JPG

The figure used for the statue came out of a Cereal Packet or something similar about 50 years ago!!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2024 at 12:25, Barry Ten said:

I spent as long preparing and masking it as I did all the work before.

Isn't that always the way - same with household painting, isn't it? Then, the actual painting is very quick... 🙄

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Vintage Airfix Aichi D3a1  VAL Type 99

AVal4copy.jpg.156b1c5d85b801bf37e2326d6ccb682e.jpg

Aval5scopy1.jpg.840660f2a7d1383ac00f5ae3aecfa28c.jpg

AVal1copy1.jpg.8413e0592c025bc0bcc4a17cefce0744.jpg

AVal3copy.jpg.d8e1cf8aaeb76de28500d2f8c12ffbc0.jpg

Made this when I was at school.  For some reason this has survived over the years packed away with various modelling parts.  It wasn't a type of aircraft I was particularly interested in, probably bought the kit because it was a new Airfix release.  This was first issued in 1965 and again in 1967 so I probably made it around then. Would have stopped making kits around then with all the other stuff of life coming along. 

So it's got to be at least 57 years old if not 59.... reassuringly the paint (and glue!) has lasted well, may well be finished in Humbrol 49 enamel matt varnish so that's protected it ok.

Airfix has recently re-released this one again.

Er, what now, back in box for another 57 years?  Ouch.

(So what do people do with old models?)

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/01/2024 at 00:38, Barry Ten said:

My wife and I used to have the same "there must be a piece missing" conversation so often that in the end we got a post-it and stuck "There are no pieces missing!" on the cupboard above the jigsaw table.

One of the lads, in the pub

sent me this pic, on whatsapp.

it made me laugh. 

IMG-20231228-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2024 at 12:38, JZ said:

What I have done with my Airfix one and any other metal finish aircraft, is to pick out the odd panel in different shades of silver/aluminium.

I've had a go with this, just using some silver from the tin:

IMG_20240105_192233713.jpg.41c723713782ba849f27cbb9f0b4c804.jpg

• Like 14

Not my work, I wish it was, but I'd defy most people not to think that the exterior photos were of the real plane rather than the model - certainly fooled me and a lot others in the comments. One of THE most naturally realistic models, in any genre, I've ever seen...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235134707-tbd-1-devastator-vt-3-midway/

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, johndon said:

Not my work, I wish it was, but I'd defy most people not to think that the exterior photos were of the real plane rather than the model - certainly fooled me and a lot others in the comments. One of THE most naturally realistic models, in any genre, I've ever seen...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235134707-tbd-1-devastator-vt-3-midway/

That's absolutely astonishing.  Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention.

Pete T.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Good morning folks,

Whilst not one for New Year's resolutions I did think about clearing out/completing some unfinished aircraft builds before starting on the stash in 2024.

In the spirit of the old Airfix 'Dogfight Doubles' I present a FW190F8 being chased down by a Hawker Tempest Mk V (Evan Mackie). The FW190 was a relatively new build awaiting final Stab (Luftwaffe staff) insignia, whilst the Tempest has languished for some years minus pilot and canopy.

Further eagles awaiting their nemesis are another two FW190A8 fighters, one Italeri and the other Revell. The Revell (blue) A8 has an awful canopy, but as it has languished since 2010 approx minus one I thought it best to complete it and move on :)

Finally, a Hawker Hurricane Mk I has now also received squadron insignia as per Ian Gleed in the BoB. I don't think the orientation of the squadron markings is correct, nor the fin flash but it's now done at least. Another part of my BoB Memorial Squadron, just two more Spits to go.

Next are some pre-grouping open wagons, but they are for another thread (when the paints arrive).

Cheers, Nigel.

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

• Like 16

Good afternoon folks,

Thanks very much for the likes.

I have one more FW190F8 to complete, then on to the LSWR and LBSCR open wagons.

I have ordered a couple of Oak Hill Works 3D printed wagons to try as well, so looking forward to how these come out.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just about done with the Academy B17G.

P1150152.JPG.5b9c1198528d20ac87ffdbbe3e66dd22.JPG

P1150153.JPG.e49ebe92d32dba3f540a910626bafff1.JPG

P1150154.JPG.3746a11c6a63d94de58f53998e411421.JPG

It still needs a few decals underneath, a couple of machine guns, and then the radio wire (when I find my reel of EZ Line).

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Good evening Barry Ten,

The B17 looks fantastic!

I wish I had the room for a big bird like that (fnarr fnarr).

I hope you have somewhere safe to store it, so the props and guns don't get damaged.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening Barry Ten,

The B17 looks fantastic!

I wish I had the room for a big bird like that (fnarr fnarr).

I hope you have somewhere safe to store it, so the props and guns don't get damaged.

Cheers, Nigel.

We'll have to see if it fits in my glass display cabinet once I've finished it. It just takes a 1/32nd Lysander so there's a chance!

I think I might have mentioned that I built the 1/48th Monogram B17 as a kid, but while it was a wonderful model to build, the finished thing was huge and vulnerable, and alas, I don't know what became of it. So a 1/72nd B17 is a slightly more sensible option, even if it hasn't stopped me occasionally looking on ebay for old Monogram kits!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mentioning the size of model aircraft. At a local toy fair there is a dealer in diecast model aircraft and most  were to 1/72 scale. He was displaying a Junkers JU52-3m alongside a B17, the JU52 was bigger than the B-17.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Mentioning the size of model aircraft. At a local toy fair there is a dealer in diecast model aircraft and most  were to 1/72 scale. He was displaying a Junkers JU52-3m alongside a B17, the JU52 was bigger than the B-17.

Something off there the both the length and wing-span of a B17 exceeds the JU52.

B-17G:

Wing span: 103 ft. 9 in
Length: 74 ft. 9 in

JU52:

Wing Span    95 ft 12 in
Length    62 ft 0 in

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

We'll have to see if it fits in my glass display cabinet once I've finished it. It just takes a 1/32nd Lysander so there's a chance!

I think I might have mentioned that I built the 1/48th Monogram B17 as a kid, but while it was a wonderful model to build, the finished thing was huge and vulnerable, and alas, I don't know what became of it. So a 1/72nd B17 is a slightly more sensible option, even if it hasn't stopped me occasionally looking on ebay for old Monogram kits!

When I get around to building/repairing/completing my 1/72nd Sunderland, I'm not sure where it'll go as the loft shelf is already full of smaller aircraft and a couple of cars.  Might have to hang it from the rafters.......

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2024 at 21:41, Barry Ten said:

Just about done with the Academy B17G.

P1150152.JPG.5b9c1198528d20ac87ffdbbe3e66dd22.JPG

P1150153.JPG.e49ebe92d32dba3f540a910626bafff1.JPG

P1150154.JPG.3746a11c6a63d94de58f53998e411421.JPG

It still needs a few decals underneath, a couple of machine guns, and then the radio wire (when I find my reel of EZ Line).

Must get on with mine now. The masks have arrived from Poland, as has this.

s-l1600(3).jpg.c5a17bad4cc68e7059853fe84e062f74.jpg

And now that the panel line accent has arrived from Poland, there is now some available from UK retailers. Ain't it always the way.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, JZ said:

Must get on with mine now. The masks have arrived from Poland, as has this.

s-l1600(3).jpg.c5a17bad4cc68e7059853fe84e062f74.jpg

And now that the panel line accent has arrived from Poland, there is now some available from UK retailers. Ain't it always the way.

I used some Humbrol black weathering wash I bought a long time ago... not sure if it's still available. I used a fine brush to run it into the panels and then swabbed off the excess with cotton buds.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Barry Ten said:

I used some Humbrol black weathering wash I bought a long time ago... not sure if it's still available. I used a fine brush to run it into the panels and then swabbed off the excess with cotton buds.

Probably very similar stuff.