A WD Austerity 2-8-0 from a Stanier 8F

Whilst reading Tim Shackleton's book 'Plastic-Bodied Locos' the thought occurred to me that perhaps I could transform one of my bargain-buy Hornby Stanier 8Fs into a WD Austerity 2-8-0 – seeing as Riddles effectively did that with the prototype – and I got all excited about the prospect. Yes, I could just buy the Bachmann loco but even secondhand it isn't cheap… plus I like the idea of the challenge.

It looks quite do-able in principle, the parallel boiler looking pretty straightforward in the event that I can't get a Bachmann spare body (I've emailed them but have not had a response yet). The flat-pannelled tender body is potentially easier still.

Hopefully there is a supplier of some of the more awkward detail bits – chimney, dome, steps etc. but I could possibly bodge those if not.

By my reckoning, the whole project really rests on the wheelsets and the only ones I've found, Markits', will set me back almost the price of a second-hand Bachmann loco in its entirety. Does anyone know of a supplier of suitable OO wheelsets cheap enough to make the project worthwhile? Thanks.

Can I just say that you're mad to try this? :P

Thank you.

.....Hopefully there is a supplier of some of the more awkward detail bits – chimney, dome, steps etc. but I could possibly bodge those if not......

Dave Bradwell sells his "WD" castings separately. Why not just build his "WD" kit?

... By my reckoning, the whole project really rests on the wheelsets and the only ones I've found, Markits', will set me back almost the price of a second-hand Bachmann loco in its entirety. Does anyone know of a supplier of suitable OO wheelsets cheap enough to make the project worthwhile? ...

That's the cruncher; RTR steam models come for near the price of the kit wheelsets alone. (Don't forget you need a pony and four tender wheelsets too, not just the drivers, as none of the 8F wheelsets suit, and there aren't enough of them. ) There are further troubles awaiting: the Austerity 2-8-0 was developed from the 8F: it's subtly different in many ways, like the wheelbase is shorter. Hornby's motor position is most likely facilitated by using the Belpaire firebox to house it, the Austerity's correct round top firebox may not accomodate it. To get round these problems you may be looking at replacement frames, rods, gearbox and motor. Your Hornby 8F can probably supply the cylinders, safety valves and pony truck frame...

There is a proverb on the lines of: 'If you want to go there, you don't want to be starting from here'....

just out of curiosity, how good is the Bachmann one? how do people rate it? ...

It's a good example of the modern standard OO RTR model; looks like the prototype from every angle, well made too, not a single problem with mine and they have piled on a lot of model miles. It's a bit light despite being full of metal. Replace the mazak with lead and it pulls well. Excellent feature on the chassis, 2nd and 4th driven axles are sprung, gear ratio is 40:1. Very reliable electrical pick up, fine slow running. The tender tool rack from 247 developments adds the one significant missing detail.

• RMweb Premium

That's the cruncher; RTR steam models come for near the price of the kit wheelsets alone. (Don't forget you need a pony and four tender wheelsets too, not just the drivers, as none of the 8F wheelsets suit, and there aren't enough of them. ) There are further troubles awaiting: the Austerity 2-8-0 was developed from the 8F: it's subtly different in many ways, like the wheelbase is shorter. Hornby's motor position is most likely facilitated by using the Belpaire firebox to house it, the Austerity's correct round top firebox may not accomodate it. To get round these problems you may be looking at replacement frames, rods, gearbox and motor. Your Hornby 8F can probably supply the cylinders, safety valves and pony truck frame...

There is a proverb on the lines of: 'If you want to go there, you don't want to be starting from here'....

It's a good example of the modern standard OO RTR model; looks like the prototype from every angle, well made too, not a single problem with mine and they have piled on a lot of model miles. It's a bit light despite being full of metal. Replace the mazak with lead and it pulls well. Excellent feature on the chassis, 2nd and 4th driven axles are sprung, gear ratio is 40:1. Very reliable electrical pick up, fine slow running. The tender tool rack from 247 developments adds the one significant missing detail.

Is the tool rack a purely BR addition? I fitted one to my LMR (Longmoor Military Railway) loco and wonder if I've made a bit of a c*ck-up!

Horsetan, I may be mad but I'm not that mad… for the moment at least. :biggrin_mini2: The DB kit is out of my league in terms of cash, particularly with my non-existant precision loco-building experience… I'd probably make a right expensive pig's ear of it so I may as well buy the Bachmann and modify that. I wanted to see if I could do this on a budget with my donor loco.

Mike, maybe I explained in a poor way, thanks for offering me your body darling :blush_mini: …for free too, but I do have one attached to its chassis already.

Bernard, believe it or not, I actually thought about doing something like that… for about 5 seconds! :blink:

(The) Youth, yep, certainly looks more costly (in more ways than one) to go this route.

34theletterbetweenB&D, the idea was to use the smokebox, footplates, cylinders, cab, chassis and motor from my 8F and fabricate the parallel boiler (easy enough). However, I had no idea that the wheelbase was different and hadn't even thought about the potential motor-housing problem, so two more reasons for it being a non-starter. Thanks for enlightening me… and by your description, the Bachmann model sounds like the ideal starting point. :yes:

Cheers Mike. One of the reasons I really want to do a Dub Dee is that I can have lots of filthy fun with it! For some reason, they (and 4MT Mucky Ducks) seemed to be less cared for than other classes but that was part of their charm for me. I remember their loud, distinctive 'clanking' too.

Ryan,

I'm going echo everyone else when I say "buy the Bachmann model". The models are almost completely different, even down to the chassis wheelbase (WDs were 2 feet shorter in loco wheelbase for starters) and a few other major respects. All that lot even before you get to the body! crazy_mini.gif

I'd say to use that 8F of yours for some fun work and do a nice filthy job on it, much like that Black 5 of yours ;). I dare say you can pick up a good WD for around the 60 quid mark if you hunt about.

Just my 'pennorth!

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks Tim, I've been well and truly discouraged, even if I thought it was a fantastic idea at the time. Your impressive Stanier Mogul project reminded me to get TS's book off the shelf, which led to these daft thoughts. I have a Comet upgrade kit including a tender for one of my 8Fs – that will now become the next steam project. The Bacchie WD search will start towards Xmas… oh no, it's only August and already I've mentioned the dreaded word! :blink:

You'll be trying to convert a cl442 into a cl377 next.. ;)

Brassmasters bits on the 8F should make it look rather nice next to the Black 5 you have..

My Bachmann WD is a nice runner, meant to give it some WR features at some stage though its a very low priority. At one stage they were in bargain bins but the price has gone up a bit again now.

You'll be trying to convert a cl442 into a cl377 next.. ;)

Brassmasters bits on the 8F should make it look rather nice next to the Black 5 you have..

My Bachmann WD is a nice runner, meant to give it some WR features at some stage though its a very low priority. At one stage they were in bargain bins but the price has gone up a bit again now.

A cl442 into a cl377…hmmm, don't put it past me. :lol:

Yes, I missed out on the bargain bin Bachmann WDs… really took my eye off the ball there.

…The other option for MD is to get a DJH kit of one if you want to 'build' something…

I'll see how I get on with my Comet Stanier tender before I make any decisions on building a full loco kit, although I could look out for one on Ebay, as you suggest and keep it for when I'm confident of tackling it. By then I may be able to afford the wheels too!:D

Now that is very interesting. I'd already seen the finished loco in Showcase and very smart it looks. I will scrutinise your thread shortly… and I have my copy of BR Standard Steam in Close-up vol.1 ready to peruse. One immediate question… I'm just curious why you went for a tender drive, as there's no daylight under the firebox?

• RMweb Gold

ease of construction mainly, the tender was bought complete from East Kent Models (when they had them), so it was basically just the loco to construct. I've learnt a lot since then and would tackle the job differently now, probably using a China loco drive 8F chassis, but again, if you have a tender drive loco to hand then go for it .....

I've now read your thread… very impressive work and I'm seriously considering this, it's such an interesting project (and so is the Mikado). My 8Fs are loco driven so I'd stick with that and I also have a Standard 5 but that would mean raiding two locos! Oh, decisions, decisions! :rolleyes:

The fire iron 'cage' on the tender: I am pretty sure I have seen a picture 'somewhere' of a line of new WD's coming off works during the war with this fitting on view. There's a pic on the LNER encyclopedia site of the 2-10-0 undated but in what looks like WD grey, showing this fitting. http://www.lner.info/locos/O/WD_Austerity.shtml

Interesting use of the word 'modern' there, I think it was one of the first of the new generation quality products that we now take for granted. Mine must be about eight years old I think, and was the first Western Region version they released IIRC. When did they first come out...

Exactly so. I bought my first one sometime in 1999, and remember thinking of it and the 16T minerals that came out around the same time, that models like this to a 'good kit build standard' were going to make modelling the BR steam scene on a fair scale possible to contemplate as an individual rather than club effort. It was also the first OO RTR loco I felt able to show to my continental cousins, without feeling very much second best to the HO RTR that they had long enjoyed.

Eleven going on twelve years later, that first WD purchased, weighing in at 450g thanks to a lead transfusion, and covered in the usual filth which adorned these old carts in service, stil runs as well as the day it came out of the box. All it has required is attention to lubrication, entirely trouble free, all the detail still attached, and this is a loco that runs every day I am home. No worries about the potential longevity of the Bachmann product.

Archived