Eurospoor2011, Int. Model railway event

Leo_H

Model railway buffs should be getting ready for Europe's largest model railway event, EUROSPOOR, which takes place this year in the Jaarbeurs (trade fair centre) in Utrecht, the Netherlands on 28, 29 and 30 October 2011. A surface area of 23,000 square meters will offer visitors the chance to view over 50 model railways belonging to clubs from the Netherlands as well as other countries, extensive model train collections, model-making demonstrations, stands of representatives and retailers, a model railway market of 1000 meter length where train-lovers offer their used trains, accesories and collectors' items for sale or exchange.

For a quick view (including English text) of almost all layouts you can go to:

www.eurospoor.nl/highlights.html

We hope you are willing and able to visit our event.

Happy Railroading!

EUROSPOOR2011

28 - 30 October 2011 (Autumn holidays!)

Venue

Jaarbeurs trade fair centre

Jaarbeursplein 6

3521 AL Utrecht

Netherlands

The Utrecht trade fair centre is internationally oriented and extremely central, with extensive parking facilities and the railway station at walking distance (7 minutes).

Information EUROSPOOR, Tel. 0031.299.640354

Opening times:

Friday 28 October 10.00 - 18.00

Saturday 29 October 9.30 - 17.30

Sunday 30 October 9.30 - 17.00

Admission:

Adults : e 14,50

Children under the age of 12: e 6,50

Tickets also online available

Organisation:

Eurospoor

Amazonelaan 86

1448 TN Purmerend, Netherlands

Tel. 0031.299.640354

Fax. 0031.299.646197

E-mail: eurospoor@eurospoor.nl

Every visitor receives free: Postercalender and Eurospoor-Express Magazine.

Note: Leo_H is the Eurospoor organizer... ;)

Yes, I am Leo Hendriksen, the organizer and I post our event. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The show presents a lot of high quality layouts and also some less high quality layouts. The layouts are coming from all over Europe of which about 5 from the UK. To discuss what high quality is, is useless. Everyone interested can view the descriptions and pics of the coming layouts at:

http://www.eurospoor.nl/highlights.html

and decides for themselves if it's worthwhile to make the trip.

Thank you,

EUROSPOOR

Leo Hendriksen

• RMweb Gold

I've sometimes wondered about going to this one and while a day trip is not on I amused to see just how 'close' it is to us in England nowadays - a quick bash on DB's excellent journey planner gave me a rail journey time of 7h50 from my local branch terminus (which includes over an hour to first get to London) while Google Maps gave me a driving time of 7h00 for the 354 miles (via Eurotunnel) - so in 'computer advised travel times' it's about the same as going from here to Glasgow.

• RMweb Gold

I lived in the Netherlands for long enough to visit Eurospoor many times, as well as the other big annual exhibition, Rail. Eurospoor could be a bit hit and miss but even given the vast area given over to traders and swapmeeters, it still had a vast array of layouts to look at. There were only a couple of occasions when I came away disappointed; yes there would sometimes only be 2 or 3 really top-quality layouts but that was fine; I could grab a koffie (excellent Dutch refreshment facilities!) and spend a good while soaking up the modelling, rather than feeling I had to dash because there were another 20 layouts demanding attention. I did find a lot of the big modular layouts somewhat uninspiring but that's just a matter of taste.

I always enjoyed Rail, but it was slightly smaller and less trader-orientated and usually a bit harder to get to. Overall, I'd generally look forward to both shows and come away pretty happy.

One thing worth adding, maybe, is that Utrecht is a fantastic city to spend a couple of nights in - it's got wonderful architecture, charming canals, great restaurants

and a number of excellent museums. It really is a fabulous place.

I have a small group of friends who regularly do this trip.

I know they are a pretty excellent bunch of modellers who enjoy quality modelling so it must be a pretty good show for them to keep going.

Sadly, I can't make it even though I'll only be down the road - at a business show, D'oh!

Cheers,

John E.

Hi

I have visited this show both as a member of the viewing public and as an exhibitor.We attended the show with ROARKES LANDING in 2007 and had a brilliant time there. :rolleyes: The size of the hall for the "swap meet" is enormous. The other hall with the layouts is equally large and i must agree with Bedlam George about our layout being dwarfed by the size of a lot of the layouts on show. We were quite amused by an operator of one layout who wheeled in a 5ft tall filing cabinet in which we assumed was the stock for the layout. Suprise, suprise. When he opended it up it contained a toaster, electric kettle,coffee maker and cooling fan. Also a few bottle of wine. :drinks: There were even exhibitors in Motor Caravans outside the hall complete with electric hook up.

George

Menasha from the Wakefield Railway Modellers Society will be attending the show. It will be the first time a layout from the club has been invited to a show outside of the UK to my knowledge and we are all looking forward to the exeprience of exhibiting abroad. If any one has any tips on what should be packed as extras to a normal show we would be very interested. We are hoping to fly the flag for the society as it is the Wakefield 50th Annual Exhibition at the end of November and are looking forward to seeing as many people as possible there, hopefully this year the snow will not lay as crisp and even as last year!

Before you go visit a camping shop for a continental plug that they use on the campsites over there. It is usually black with two pins. Then just make up a short extension with a UK socket on the other end. As we use our motor caravan in Europe quite a lot we also carry a polarity tester. We found that was very useful as we were able to check three other UK layouts that were there.Also take an electric kettle and tea bags etc. The hotel we were in provided an excellent evening meal, breakfast and a packed lunch.We left the van on the car park one day and tookthe tram in the centre.

Hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did.

George

Make sure any transformers and other power sources are fed from a separate circuit laid out on the ground.. As noted, there's a significant and incompatible difference between the UK and Continental socket and plug for the 230V system! Take one or 2 spares too!

We are bringing Liverpool Lime Street from the UK and we are looking forward to being at Eurospoor. As for the voltage, do we need to bring our own transformers or are they supplied by the hall.

Hello

We just plugged our transformer into the socket in the floor . Alll you need is an adapter for the different plug. If you have booked tables chairs and barriers you collect the mtwhen you arrive from the receptioon area. Just leave them by your space when you go. This is a very user friendly show, minimum stewarding, very relaxed. Large venues in the UK please note. Hope thgis helps. Enjoy.

Cheers

George

• 2 months later...

Note: Leo_H is the Eurospoor organizer... wink.gif

For those never been to Eurospoor: yes, it is indeed large. A good portion is reserved for trade and the walking isles are wide enough for 2 buggies to pass wink.gif Modellingwise: Mr Hendriksen manages to get a few gems (as in: layouts wink.gif) on every show I've been to, but the majority doesn't have that high quality... But that's not the aim of the show: it's not intended for the die-hard modelrailway enthusiast, the intended audience is Jack & Jill with the kids on a family-day out... So, expect a few very busy layouts (the gems wink.gif) and quite a lot of railway-racetracks... :rolleyes:

DutchMaster.

What's your opinion on this show compared to the one held at the Utrecht Railway Museum(March 2012 I think) ?

The latter appears to be aimed more at enthusiasts...plus the venue(Railway Museum) ticks all the right boxes.

I was considering a trip to Amsterdam in Spring to include this show. How do you think it compares against something like

the SECC show in Glasgow?

Mac.

@Mac

Not so for OnTraxx. If you like the NRM in York, you feel quite at home at the NSM, as it's modelled (s'cuse the pun ;) ) in part on the NRM.

I, and quite some enthusiasts in Holland, consider the NSM no longer a museum, but a themepark that happens to play with big, historically valuable trains.

DutchMaster.

Thanks for the information: you obviously have strong views on the matter.

From what you say, I think I'll give both shows a miss and build a holiday around the York Show at Easter.

Re' people thinking the NSMuseum a themepark...In Glasgow there's a museum that think's it's an art gallery!

Mac.

DutchMaster.

Thanks for the information: you obviously have strong views on the matter.

From what you say, I think I'll give both shows a miss and build a holiday around the York Show at Easter.

Re' people thinking the NSMuseum a themepark...In Glasgow there's a museum that think's it's an art gallery!

Mac.

They have not got a bus in it and only one tram,the lovies designed it I think didnt Kirsty Wark have a hand in it?

• 2 weeks later...

Having a great time with our Lime Street Station at Eurospoor. We have been put up in a fabulous hotel with excellent food. Everyone we have met in Utrecht has been very helpful and very friendly. Went in to a local newsagent to buy our tram tickets yesterday. Alas, we could not use a non Dutch credit card to pay for the card. The shop owner topped up our cards on his personal credit card and we paid him in cash. Imagine that happening in th UK!

We have had a lot of interest in the layout from visitors from all over the world. A brilliant experience. If you ever get the invite to come here then definitely come.

post-8613-0-87262700-1319891759.jpg

The Lime Street crew at Eurospoor.

Thanks for a great weekend Leo.

Just back to Scotland from Utrecht with St Marnock Engine Shed, after our first European forray. What a superb weekend!. The hospitality from Leo Henfdrikson and his team was superb. The show was massive, but with plenty of room for visitors to move around. With regard to comments about the quality at Eurspoor, who are we to say whether it is better or poorer than the UK. What it is is very different and its what the continentals do.

Our exhibit was busy all weekend and we received two invitations to Germany. We enjoyed chatting to the visitors most of whom spoke good English, putting us to shame.

Thanks to the superb Dutch railways, we were able to fit in an evening in Amsterdam, and another in the beautiful old part of Utrecht

Would we go agaIn? Definitely!

On behalf of the Menasha crew, I'd like to add our thanks for the hospitality we received at Eurospoor. The hotel and food were superb and the sheer size of the show was mind blowing. Some of the modular layouts were huge.

post-3560-0-74572400-1320369347_thumb.jpg

Any fears we may have had about the language barrier were quickly allayed and we had many an interesting conversation with visitors from places as far afield as Australia and Barnsley. One American, familiar with the real Menasha, was heard to question why anybody would want to model a hick town like that.

I, and quite some enthusiasts in Holland, consider the NSM no longer a museum, but a themepark

After setting up on the Thursday, we found time to visit the Spoorwegmuseum and we can say with some confidence that Dutch_Master has a very good point. The museum is divided into 4 lands, or in Dutch Werelds. These were quickly christened Weirds, particularly Weird 3, Steel Monsters. From a room displaying a collection of memorabilia you go through an innocuous door to find what I can only describe as a ghost train that weaves in and around several locomotives in virtual darkness. We came out shaking our heads, laughing and wondering what was being smoked to come up with that. Well worth a visit though!

A weekend to remember. Thank you for the invite Leo.

Echoing the comments of the last three posts if you have the opportunity of attending Eurospoor then go! The whole set up is at a level that I have not experienced in the UK and it was interesting to see how modellers from other countries approach their modelling. The Dutch layouts were on a size not seen in the UK and their models must clock up some real kms in a course of a 3 day show! There is not alot of hiding the staging yards and when making a return on their layouts they simply put on a module with a dog bone return and presto the train is heading back. Another layout must have been all of 40 metres in length, linear with the middle section being the visible staging yeard and two simple return loops on the ends all run by just a husband and wife team! The Dutch seem to like anything with lights and if you need to put lights on any kind of vehicle then they have it! Many of the layouts make extensive use of the many kits available and many make features of working zoos, circus, fairs etc. There was the equivalent of fine scale modellers there with a standard of construction as high as I have seen elsewhere. The highligths for me was a small layout from Italy based upon a Nickel ore loading plant with working mine hopper, conveyors and loader all to scale with working rotary car dumper and of course the German layout set in a winter land complete with skiers and snow cleaners, Their models were making a better job of snow shifting than us in real life and the operators even had a bar at the back of their layout! The railway museum is not the NRM, it is their railway museum and there is enough there for the purists as well as families who want a good day out. The museum becomes part of the Christmas festivals and if you are in Utrecht over the Christmas break then part of the museum is turned into an ice rink and you can skate around the exhibits, this must attract other visitors than railway buffs and provide revenue for exhibits etc.

Archived