I am currently building a layout/diorama for the 20(x)11 challenge, what is the best way to display a model of this size? Tables often tend to be low, which is great for children, persons of restricted growth and people in wheelchairs, but for the majority of people it can be a bit back breaking.

If I put legs on the model will I have issues with the diorama tipping over? Is there are good ratio for height:footprint, or ways to lower the centre of mass? Any tips or ideas?

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Layout presentation is always a contentious issue for exhibitions.

Probably the most important thing is to cater for exhibitor comfort as priority as they will be the ones having to stand by it and operate it - though for a diorama it is probably less important.

Personally I would consider raising the table height or, as these are all of a small dimension/weight, placing them on a a large box/packing case.

I don't think legs would be appropriate due to the stability issues you mention and also the probable need to "curtain off" below the board.

But I would agree that having such layouts/dioramas on a low table, with the operator/demonstrator sat behind is only going to encourage the "punter" to quickly pass on by.

Also another issue for exhibition managers is the rather small viewable frontage these present to the public. No matter the size of the table, usually much larger than the layout, only one member of the public can peer at the model at a time. In addition, to really appreciate the modelling, the viewing position can never be at its best or comparable to the photographic presentations possible. Also the general lack of activity makes them quite dull to the average viewing member of the public and this may account for why dioramas in particular are rarely seen, or noticed, at exhibitions.

• RMweb Gold

For my recent exhibiting sessions, I've used an old ironing board. This has the advantage of being able to be set at different heights, is portable and self contained and fits 3 boxfiles just nicely along its length.

To display a single 20x11" diorama, have you considered a bar stool ? These are relatively stable for their height, are higher than a table and should be able to support such a diorama without too much drama. A decent one can always be used later behind a larger exhibit.

Stu

Thanks for the ideas fellas!

Stu, the idea of a bar stool and an ironing board is a good idea. I suspect that an ironing board with a drape over it would quite look smart. The visible frontage is also an issue but I guess you can overcome this if you have several dioramas or boxfiles.

I think my most likely course of action will be to extend the 20x11 diorama with an additional board for exhibitions of a similar size including a fiddleyard and additional scenery, this will extend the layout frontage, improve operational interest and sit nicely on top of an ironing board.

I can't believe I never thought of the ironing board idea, I stubbed my toe on one just this morning :laugh:

Many Thanks,

Jack

I used an Ironing board to display Whinny Lane http://iholmes.com/pages/whinnylane/wl12.html

It was too low for my back when I stood up but a great height for the kids. I felt that the ironing board itself was a tad unstable (you never know who is going to bump and bang into it at a show) but I got over that by having the lighting/fascia legs go all the way to the ground

Ian

Archived