Blue Peter is sold?

Mike J

The rumour mill is turning once again.

This time it looks like Blue Peter has been sold (I don't know to whom) with the new owner ready to put it back into steam.

As far as I know the locomotive is owned by the Drury family and looked after by NELPG at Barrow Hill.

This is just a rumour at present, but comes from one of my usually reliable sources. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

All I had heard was that NELPG's contract with Blue Peter was about to end....hadn't heard anything else.

IF it is true, then it's good news :)

Blue Peter "changed hands" within the family a few years ago and the gentleman concerned went as far as getting people to assess the loco and give estimates for work, but I suspect he was put off by the price of doing so. It was always a good loco, but are we ready in the 21st century for explaining to a whole new generation of passengers that it ISN'T named after a kids TV program?!?!?!?!

It was always a good loco, but are we ready in the 21st century for explaining to a whole new generation of passengers that it ISN'T named after a kids TV program?!?!?!?!

Indeed, it is actually the other way round - the TV program is named after the loco. After all, when the TV program started it featured a huge proportion of the 30 minutes with Christopher Trace playing with model trains. wink.gif

Did anyone remember when Blue Peter (the TV program) were following regular restoration updates on 80080? Unfortunately with restoration of ex-Barry locos taking many years, the updates were very irregular (gaps of a year between features) which meant that most of the kids who started with the progress of 80080 were adults by the time it finished and many of the youngsters who started watching part way through had no idea what on earth Blue Peter were going on about when they showed random bits of engine being restored.

Indeed, it is actually the other way round - the TV program is named after the loco.

The tv programme is named after the maritime flag that is flown by a ship which is about to leave port.

The locomotive, as was the custom, was named after the racehorse Blue Peter III, a derby and 2000 guineas winner.

It was always a good loco, but are we ready in the 21st century for explaining to a whole new generation of passengers that it ISN'T named after a kids TV program?!?!?!?!

Absolutely - her connection to the programme shouldn't be underestimated though. Given the programme isn't actually that much younger (10 years almost exactly) than the loco the story is perhaps why Blue Peter was thought to be an appropriate name for both.

With Tornado taking the spotlight, the Peppercorn A2 is now non-league. The only way to restore it to "I must see it" category is to dismantle the thing and rebuild it into a Thompson A2-2 Pacific and call it 'Cock '0 The North'. :pleasantry:

You are a card Coachmann.....ha ha...ha....oh.....you were serious :unsure: :P

I had an enjoyable trip behind Blue Peter years back over the S & C. and yes, would love to see it back, particularly down here in deepest Devon where rarely the LMS/LNER top link fly the flag on the steam specials during the summer.Although I should be grateful being close to the Churston turntable and a few miles from Dainton Bank. The main problems with restoration for B.P. wont be getting operating volunteers, it will be the now astronomic costs for the job, and the need to generate revenue from its operation, for the next overhaul. It has become an expensive day out for a Father/son on a steam special, against one of the preserved lines. Albeit there is little comparison in the experience between the two, even when mainline speed is restricted. Especially when you are looking 'on'.

,{This and the other Utube uploads were before the dreaded 'Black boxes' were fitted.}Due to transfer VHS/Digital some of these vids were filmed by digital camera by playing through the tv.

Economics will be the deciding factor for all of our preserved steam, from the passenger up, and as long as we enjoy, God willing it will continue. For me,one thing is for sure, the 'South Devon Railway' and local 'Animals in Distress' will benefit from my legacy . Beeman

• RMweb Premium

Minor point of order here. The topic is listed as "Blue Peter is sold" but the OP then states this is only a rumour. Perhaps a more appropriate heading would be "Blue Peter sold?"

(60)532 was adopted by the BBC TV show of the same name but the two names were coincidental and from different sources as Mike J notes. At one time, and before 80080 was resurrected, Christopher Trace brought us a few updates on the history and progress of the A2. Following that lead the ITV rival show "Magpie" duly adopted the class 42 diesel loco of the same name (again from different derivations, one a warship and the other a bird famed for collecting odds and ends) and brought us perhaps one update. History has long since determined which of those locos is still with us.

If the preservation movement can support an A2 being returned to main line condition, no matter who owns it, then so be it. We are long past the time of wondering if something can happen - things seem to be possible we never dreamed of at the end of steam. Who knows at some future time when perhaps the ECML is shut for a Christmas tracklaying job we might even get a line-up across Kings Cross throat of all the major LNER express types facing Gasworks Tunnel once more. A1 - A4 would be a good start.

• RMweb Premium

I still have my original Blue Peter postcard with a nice b/w photo of 60532 in BR days - I think it dates from 1966, presumably the TV prog made an appropriate donation towards the loco's preservation fund.

Minor point of order here. The topic is listed as "Blue Peter is sold" but the OP then states this is only a rumour. Perhaps a more appropriate heading would be "Blue Peter sold?"

Absolutely correct Gwiwer, point taken and duly amended. smile.gif

Magpie didn't they name a Black Five after the programe at Steamport, Southport. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

hello Johnd,

IIRC it was on the L.&h.R. and the loco was 44806.

OzzyO.

PS. I don't think the loco carriers the name now.

There you have it coachman a Black five on the Lakeside & Hatherwaite, cant't remember the warship being called Magpie.

Even so I think it spent some time at Southport, I even remember seeing it in The Manchester museum of sience and industry carrying the name.

There you have it coachman a Black five on the Lakeside & Hatherwaite, cant't remember the warship being called Magpie.

Even so I think it spent some time at Southport, I even remember seeing it in The Manchester museum of sience and industry carrying the name.

When it was on the L.&.H.R. it was painted green, then I think it went to Southport and then on to Manchester. Not sure about its location now.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

coachmann :

I was of course being flippant. I am sure the ITV program 'Magpie' adopted warship D829 Magpie initially to keep up with the BBC's 'Blue Peter'.

Or maybe they did it to keep in with the residents of Buck House (HMS Magpie having once upon a time been commanded by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, who I seem to recollect also had a go driving the loco of that name)wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

When it was on the L.&.H.R. it was painted green, then I think it went to Southport and then on to Manchester. Not sure about its location now.

OzzyO.

I had a ride behind it earlier today between Carrog and Llangollen

Archived