re-tooling the replica Class 45106 Peak

iankemp

Should Bachmann redo the Peak Class 45106 in heritage green?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bachmann re-release the heritage green Peak Class 45106 in the retooled version?

I've just purchased a limited edition heritage green Bachman named ixion that is double bogie drive it had a factory fault out of the box and didn't run so I am waiting to ge i back at the moment so I think they may not have cancelled them

Ah that will be the old style nose seam one then. Think Bachmann should release BOTH again but with revised nose ends. I think they could be good sellers.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't think it would take that long. Bearing in mind all it would actually be is just a new nose plate for the tooling. They must already have at least 3 of these they use (disc, split and centre headcode variants) so another would not take too long I would have thought.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Interesting thread. I was considering the possibility of producing some sealed beam nose ends with the correct seam line to fit a Bachmann Peak, but it would have to be a cut off the existing one and replace job as the Peak noses are not seperate mouldings and removable. It's just a bit of a gamble not knowing what Bachmann will produce, but they seem to have ignored this variant for ever.........

It's a very strange omission, I'll say that for them.  I've got one of those limited edition (TMC?) ones lying around somewhere, with the seam.  A guy at a German model railway show in Sutton Coldfield knocked it out for about forty quid.  Who was I to argue.

• Like 1

I will maybe have an old Replica body going spare, (minus nose sides (but not the Yellow part of the nose)), soon.

If anyone would like it to work with and maybe look at producing something, they would be welcome to it once I've finished hacking it about. It is in a fictional Trans - Pennine/Provincial livery at the moment.....

I believe the Replica nose is more proportionately correct than its earlier Mainline predecessor.....

Cbeers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom

attachicon.gif20131230_180542-1.jpg

The roof or ends never did get finished.....

Don't you mean "not yet finished"?  :no:

I have a resin EM1 from DC kits that's in white primer with Provincial Railways striped and decals in the box. And a set of nameplates.

For exactly the same reason.

And somewhere I have a professionally painted Deltic in Intercity Swallow...  :O

Luke

• Like 1

Just for a laugh.....

attachicon.gif20131230_180542-1.jpg

The roof or ends never did get finished.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Nooooo!!! :O  ;) Here's four of my peaks reworked from the Bachmann 45053/120. Not my work I regret to add, but that of a friend of mine. In numerical order you have 45s 059, 103, 105 and 122.

post-18670-0-63867500-1388451355_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I doubt Bachmann will Run Ixion again, it didn't sell well first time round, and required some moulding modifications which were unique only to Ixion in its preserved condition, which would need to be repeated on a new model.

45106, was also a very poor seller, though it wasn't helped by the fact the real loco caught fire a short while post repaint, and just as the model was released. 45128 wasn't much better, Peaks are a strange animal, they've always lived in the shadow of 40's.

They may do better if the nose seams were corrected. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact the real loco caught fire. With the new style of chassis motors and also will be DCC ready it could be a good seller. It was due to the fact that chassis was the old mainline style, which was not that good. But with the improved version it would be better!

What was wrong with the Replica nose seams Ian?

I always found it bizarre that Bachmann missed them off some models as well as the exhaust ports on the early class 44 model.

Probably something for another thread, but I read that the bodyside grills on the Bachmann models were also incorrect, but I don't see it myself.

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

105 is how i rememeber the peaks best.  non of ya high intensity headlight malarky........

..They were listed in numerical order, so that's 059 without the headlight- only the 45/1s received the headlights. And if you don't like headlights, you'll hate this!!!

Tinsley tart anyone? :sungum:

post-18670-0-71582800-1392510810.jpg

post-18670-0-93403400-1392510828.jpg

• Like 4

Hopefully with the lack of new loco's to do and with the re tooled class 40 now done, Bachmann will see the light and re do the 45/0 - 45/1 - 46 in all liveries and maybe a few weathered Tinsley snail one's

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 13/08/2011 at 18:52, Oldddudders said:

I must be thick, but have no idea whether you refer to a Black 5 4-6-0, or a BR Sulzer Type 4 1Co-Co1. I'm afraid this new-fangled TOPS thing continues to confuse those of us of a certain age...

New fangled?!? 45106 was released to traffic on 17th June 1961, so at 58 years old it's hardly new. The TOPS numbering system has been in use since 1970 so at 49 years old it's hardly new either. The OP also makes reference to the "Replica version" so as Replica never did a Black 5 (though it was considered) there shouldn't be much confusion for anyone born since, say 1946 :)

Luke

• Like 1

I suspect that Ian was referring jocularly to the ambiguity of Ian's OP.

The bigger question is why you're replying to a throw-away post that's soon to be celebrating its eighth birthday. I'd bake it a cake, but I don't like cake.

5 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

New fangled?!? 45106 was released to traffic on 17th June 1961, so at 58 years old it's hardly new. The TOPS numbering system has been in use since 1970 so at 49 years old it's hardly new either. The OP also makes reference to the "Replica version" so as Replica never did a Black 5 (though it was considered) there shouldn't be much confusion for anyone born since, say 1946 :)

Luke

Luke, you are of course quite correct.

The problem is that some of us, well me at least, never really got past our formative years. I can't remember, not without a lot of effort anyway, what I did yesterday, but I do have a very clear recollection of visits to the likes of Tinsley, Toton and Old Oak circa 1970, even down to remembering some of the numbers!

As for sectorisation and privatisation, well that's all very modern, and I'd have to live to a very old age to consider either as a modelling project.

Yours, back in the 20th century,

John.

• Funny 1