Point motor probs

Hi all got a problem with a point motor.Ive got a new peco and a Hornby point motor ive tried them both but cant get them to throw the point they buzz but wont move,ive tried them above and below the baseboard but it does the same thing.

When i remove motor from point it works fine the point is a new peco code100 live frog and the tiebar moves freely any ideas its getting on my nerves now lol.

thanxs

Have you accidentally wired the motor on to an AC feed?

Hi double checked and tried dc and ac does the same thing its like the tiebar is stuck and the point motor hasen't got enough guts to throw the point as soon as i take the motor off the point it works fine ive been fiddling alighning for a couple of hours now :ohmyclear:

• RMweb Gold

Hi double checked and tried dc and ac does the same thing its like the tiebar is stuck and the point motor hasen't got enough guts to throw the point as soon as i take the motor off the point it works fine ive been fiddling alighning for a couple of hours now :ohmyclear:

See above ^^

Guest oldlugger

Maybe the link between the motor and the base of the point is pushing the switch blades upwards and causing friction on the movement of the blade tiebar under the stock rails, or maybe the linkage (rod) on the motor is slightly bent? As both fail to operate the point, then the problem is almost certainly the point itself (try another spare point to see if that works) or the way you've fixed the motor to the baseboard.

Simon

Maybe the link between the motor and the base of the point is pushing the switch blades upwards and causing friction on the movement of the blade tiebar under the stock rails, or maybe the linkage (rod) on the motor is slightly bent? As both fail to operate the point, then the problem is almost certainly the point itself (try another spare point to see if that works) or the way you've fixed the motor to the baseboard.

Simon

Hi ive now lifted the point and tried it fitted directly to the point same thing happens,tried another large radius peco point does the same thing,tried it on 2 diffrent small radius points and it works fine on the large and medium radius points they still have the spring fitted could this be the problem?

cheers

As above is a good tip (found out the hard way, believe me) the first port of call for me though is to dab a tiny amount of modeller's lube oil on the bar either side of the motor pin. Even a loose point tie-bar won't move if the motor itself is sticky.

More knowledgeable folk on here will tell you exactly what type of lube is suitable.

HTH, C6T.

Archived