DCC wiring between loco and tender

Goathingham

Hello All,

In my current venture into the world of DCC I am preparing to install a Digitrax decoder into the tender of my kit-built J21.

My question is: What AWG gauge wire should I use to connect the decoder to the motor, given that it will be constantly bending back and forward as the loco goes around bends?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Trevor

Why not just use the same gauge wire as is attached to the decoder. I don't know what AWG this is, but having just studied the underside of the 4 wire connection between a Hornby Standard Class 4 and it's tender (where the decoder is) that's what Hornby seem to use. The 3 Bachmann 8 coupled locos also have the decoder in the tender so these also have 4 wires between loco and tender, and they use something slightly thicker, but not very much !

• RMweb Gold

For the relatively short run 'twixt loco and tender, gauge of wire might prove to be less important than flexibility. Bigger locos than yours have arrived from the factory in China with linking wires so stiff they derailed on the first bend curve!

I have the four essential wires between loco and tender of several different UK OO models, most of which are going to be smaller and lighter than typical US steamers rendered in HO, nary a trouble. The wires are the fine multicores that come on Lenz decoders, (possible they or a distributor/retailer may have the wire gauge data on a website?) no troubles after several years near daily operation that flexes the wires every 15 feet of running. Some of the locos will now have accumulated upward of 20,000 flexes, so out of the fatigue failure zone.

• RMweb Premium

I recently put some pickups into the tender of a loco and connected them to the motor in the body. I used Hornby Skalelighting wire which is excellent in that it is very fine and flexible, of course it is only two strand.

I've bought (but not yet fitted) some single socket connectors from the computer section at Maplins. The plug has a 10mm long prong which has a solid yet easily disconnected joint.

The wires look fine and are cheaper than the dedicated ones above.

I intend to put them in a Hornby Edward and James, which have a pretty hopeless arrangement between loco and tender at present.

Hi

I assume you have spent a bit of time building it and Im sure it will be a winner.

2 options for you.

I consider to be very good quality wire is the wire you can buy from ESU. I would just buy 1 bag of black (looks like hoses between loco/tender which measures 0.5mm and also very flexible. You can do your 4 connections all with black.

Link to ESU.

http://www.esu.eu/en...-cable-harness/

Next option using a good quality plug as others have suggested. I like the DCC Concepts ones. Most shops have them like Bromsgrove.

6 wires running between loco and tender to plug under tender you can just see them.

020.jpg

The plug

The solder pad that comes with it is hidden under the plastic and yes that is a micro 3 switch for those who may notice it.

009-4.jpg

Best of luck.

Martin

You all amaze me buying small wire, Get to a Boot Sale and buy an older PC printer cable, the type that had a 25 pin parallel port plug fitted, probably cost you 50p and strip it for the wire. All the colors you may need :sarcastichand: Also try old VCR,s for mini plugs and sockets , if you are prepared to strip down, many useful bits , including small well made motors, :nyam:

You all amaze me buying small wire, Get to a Boot Sale and buy an older PC printer cable, the type that had a 25 pin parallel port plug fitted, probably cost you 50p and strip it for the wire. All the colors you may need :sarcastichand: Also try old VCR,s for mini plugs and sockets , if you are prepared to strip down, many useful bits , including small well made motors, :nyam:

Archived