Burrington Arms - Devon

mudmagnet

I've made a couple of fuel / oil tanks which will find their way onto the layout eventually.

post-7854-0-33464100-1330883086.jpg

Hi Mudders, I haven't looked for a while but these oil tanks are the bees knees, thanks for showing them to us at the club. I also like the "john" the interior is just so "real"

Keep up the good work.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

All great but loving the canteen the most !

Regards

David

aka barneyman

aka mr smallworld

Thanks Dave.

The main buildings are based upon those on the Exeter / Barnstaple line, so having a largely generic brick building will give a good contrast between the original railway buildings and those for the yard. Well that's the plan anyway!

Hi Mudders, I haven't looked for a while but these oil tanks are the bees knees, thanks for showing them to us at the club. I also like the "john" the interior is just so "real"

Keep up the good work.

Chris

Hi Chris,

You can't actually see very much of the interior of the toilet with the lantern light roof, but hey, I know that's it there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've not made any progress on the layout itself for quite a while - needs to be re-erected in the garage when I get chance to tidy the garage up!

However, I've finally managed to get a low sided wagon for a couple of concrete huts. There was an article in Model Railway Journal No62 1993 with SR concrete hut and lamp hut, along with these loaded on flat wagons - I thought that this would make a good model for Burrington Arms (being an permanent way depot). I've been looking for a suitable wagon for a while and found this wagon kit at Ally Pally last weekend and thought that this would be perfect.

The wagon is a Red Panda kit of a BR dia 1/002 lowfit wagon. a very good kit and went together very well. Following assembly, this was sprayed and weathered. The Ratio concrete hut is a little too wide to fit inside the single plank on the sides, but the two lamp huts (scratchbuilt) fit perfectly. I just added a couple of strips across the top, with pieces of wire to represent the fixing straps and threaded rod and finished. I just need to add the Sprat and Winkle couplings with some weight and ready to enter service.

I've also made a couple of corrugated sheds - one for the yard and the other for the farm - well that's the plan, but thing may change when I get ready to position the buildings. These are plasticard, with Slater's corrugated, which has been airbrushed (a first for me) and then a little weathering powder. The doors are brush painted.

post-7854-0-01930600-1333214356.jpg

post-7854-0-92824800-1333214363.jpg

post-7854-0-13488800-1333214381.jpg

post-7854-0-38764500-1333214396.jpg

Hi Richard

Nice to see the lowfit wagon that you got from the Ally Pally finished, It looks the part with the concret huts on board. The corrugated shed you brought down to the club looks fantastic to, there is no stop you with all the fantastic buildings you produce.

Will be at club this week.

RAY70B

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ray.

I still need to sort a flat wagon for the Ratio concrete hut - I need to check what was used in the MRJ article - a converted 12ton open I think. Might need to butcher something to suit!

Hoping to get the layout erected in the garage in the next few weeks and then get the track work finished, then move on to the point operation!

• RMweb Gold

I've been able to get the layout erected in the garage today and even made a start on the backscene boards, but ran out of wood to finish at the right hand side.

The photos below show the buildings in their approximate positions, although some are not in their final positions and will get moved around several times before I am happy. Next job on the list will be to paint the backscene sky blue, although I will eventually be using photo sky backscene, I'm a way off getting these bought.

When I get chance, wood will be purchased to finish the back boards and also make the fiddle yard for the left hand side. The right hand side will wait for a little longer. I've decided on the type of fiddle yard - turntable / sector plate / traverser - which will need to be decided upon before I start cutting wood!

Also, need to decide the best place to fit the NCE panel - possibly 'station' board or 'centre' board. Plus also need to decide best method for point operation - either manual (using Blue Switch Machines and operating rods) or servo motors with DCC decoder.

At least I have plenty of siding length for the permanent way wagons - not sure where to position the office / canteen yet.

The wire that can be seen on the top are loops holding the wiring up under the board.

post-7854-0-21264300-1333297697.jpg

post-7854-0-01466600-1333297705.jpg

post-7854-0-92881400-1333297709.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ray,

I've got the basic idea and look nailed in my head, whether it will turn out that way not sure at the moment though!

The layout will evolve though, as I go along. One area for example, will be the positioning of the buildings, which will end up moving round before I settle on their final positions.

I think that once the track plan is sorted, that's half the battle - at least there will be plenty of operational interest (but I will need quite a few wagons to fill those sidings). The rest will evolve and develop as I get onto the scenic side, creating interesting and realist scenes / views.

It will be a long term project and will probably end up diverting onto other projects long before Burrington Arms is finished!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Richard, hi

Only just found this :O Am I too late to the party?

Looks great and is bookmarked to work my way through with an espresso or two... :D

Me too.

Stunning buildings as ever Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Richard, hi

Only just found this :O Am I too late to the party?

Looks great and is bookmarked to work my way through with an espresso or two... :D

Hi Pete,

You're not too late!

Actually progress on Burrington Arms has stalled at the moment. I seem to have run out of time (don't we all?), plus need to get the layout back up, but I need to sort the garage!

I will get there at some point over the 'summer'.

Me too.

Stunning buildings as ever Richard.

Thanks.

That's about all on the buildings for the moment. There will be more to add, but will wait until I get a bit further with the layout itself.

Archived