Burrington Arms - Devon

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

That signal box really does look the business! I need to do something similar - can you tell me how the windows were done (as they seem to be the most difficult step in my mind)?

Thanks Rich!

This is a fairly typical box for the Exeter / Barnstaple line (and beyond) and I'm pleased with how it has turned out. This is probably the most awkward / time-consuming in terms of windows etc. Plus the roof was a bit tricky.

The windows are cut from 20thou (probably a bit thick actually) - I cut a 'picture frame', marking the outside from the aperture in the main building, then mark 1mm in from outside. The resulting rectangle is then cut out and discarded. Then cut the outside lines and carefully glue to a over-size section of clear plastic (I use Evergreen), by running a tiny amount of Mek-Pak around the outer edges only. I hold the frame in place with a finger nail. Then, the inner bars are laid in one at a time from 20x20thou Evergreen strip. Starting with the horizontal bar, one end is pushed up to the inside of the frame and a tiny drop of Mek applied (I use a very small brush). Then the strip is cut to length against the opposite inner frame and then glued. The process is repeated for the vertical bars, starting in the centre top. Applying a drop of glue onto the plasticard only at the middle - i.e. not onto the clear plasticard. Capillary action draws sufficient liquid glue into place. Then the lower centre follows, after which the two pairs each side are done. I hope that this makes sense?

I can post some photos when I tackle the next set of windows on further buildings.

The windows are the most difficult part and you need good light and plenty of patience - I need to be in the right mood! Sometimes though bespoke, scratchbuilt windows are the only way when bought windows are not available in the sizes wanted.

• RMweb Gold

Not very much to report, except that the two other scenic boards are progressing and that I need to make the legs this week. These will be along the same lines as used on Orchard Road - simply socket legs. One board will have two legs, one being narrower than the other, so that this fits inside and then both legs fit inside the board frames for transportation. The next two boards will then 'piggyback' of the first, each with one set of legs. Not sure whether the fiddle yard(s) will have two sets of legs or will 'piggyback' off the main boards.

I have also made a start on the waiting shelter for the 'up' platform (i.e. the 'redundant' platform). Will post some photos later in the week, once the tiling grout has been applied and sanded ready for carving.

• RMweb Gold

Well, no photos, but with a bit of time this evening (and being warm), I've made the first set of legs for one of the boards and a set for the middle board. So, two boards are now erected in my garage and hoping to get the third board up tomorrow. Then I will post a couple of photos!

Well, no photos, but with a bit of time this evening (and being warm), I've made the first set of legs for one of the boards and a set for the middle board. So, two boards are now erected in my garage and hoping to get the third board up tomorrow. Then I will post a couple of photos!

Hi

Look forward to pics of progress

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Not much of an update, but the three 'scenic' boards are now up! Next job is get the foam laid on the two outer boards and then get the track laid. Hope to get this underway at the weekend.

Next job this evening though is carve the stone work on the waiting shelter and will hopefully post some photos tomorrow.

I happened to call into the pub at Portsmouth Arms on Saturday and noticed a few colour photos on the walls that I had not seen before. I didn't have time to study these closely, so will need to call in again!

• RMweb Gold

Hi

An update - the waiting shelter is nearing completion and I have attached a few photos. The exterior is finished, except for some weathering on the roof. The interior needs to be completed, but not sure whether to have vertical wooden planking or stone - then add some benches around the walls.

Note, the waiting shelter is modeled on the one that stood at Umberleigh and noticed that the two down-pipes on the guttering were protected by wooden strips - I assume that these were to protect from errant platform trolleys.

On the layout front, the foam base has been glued onto the other two scenic boards and hoping to get some of the track laid tomorrow. Just need to get some more ballast.

post-7854-0-50490600-1318080227.jpg

post-7854-0-68772000-1318080230.jpg

post-7854-0-16139200-1318080233.jpg

Hi Richard, they look stunning, cant wait till there in there surroundings on the layout, sorry i havent been in touch, work is a killer at the moment, just finding time to eat and sleep is hard work.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil,

I've not had much modelling time myself. At least the waiting shelter is a simple building and relatively easy to make. I forgot to mention, but the stone work, roof and windows have been made in the same way as the signal box.

Incidentally, whilst laying the foam for the track, thoughts turned to the goods shed and station building - originally I was going to make the goods shed next, but now wondering whether to make a start on the station building first - at least this will allow me to get started on the platform once the basic shell has been made. I may move the goods shed along onto the middle board as well - might just be a little cramped on the left hand board. It's just the way that the layout evolves I guess.

Some great work

The title caught my eye as many years ago I used to go to Burrington (the Radar station) and it flicked up in my brain when I started reading the thread that the nearest pub to Burrington was the Portsmouth Arms - am I right or just more senile than I thought ?

• RMweb Gold

Some great work

The title caught my eye as many years ago I used to go to Burrington (the Radar station) and it flicked up in my brain when I started reading the thread that the nearest pub to Burrington was the Portsmouth Arms - am I right or just more senile than I thought ?

Hi Chis,

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes, you are correct. There are strong similarities between BA, Portsmouth Arms and Umberleigh a bit further up the line, plus the signal box is much the same as the one at King's Nympton.

As this is a fictional station and with the addition of the permanent way sidings, I didn't feel that I could call the layout Portsmouth Arms (or any of the other stations for that matter). So, a little 'twisting' of reality and came up with Burrington Arms - as the village is very close to Portsmouth Arms and will just add a pub to Burrington, probably will be copied from that at Portsmouth Arms, but compressed a little to fit the space. Incidentally there are some very nice farm buildings close to the pub that scream out for modelling. A proper photo survey will be needed in the next few weeks!

The station building is being modeled on the one that stood at Portsmouth Arms, but no longer there, so I have only been able guess the sizes from the photos. Another reason for moving the location!

I have put together the shell (40 thou plasticard) and will make a start on coating the surface with tile grout - photos to follow when a bit more progress has been made. If you are not familiar with the building, the only source I can find are in the books of the North Devon Line. There is an interesting roof over, what I assume were the gents, which will make a great feature of the building. Very plain on the road side though, but this is facing towards the backscene, so not too much of an issue (the photos show several notice boards on the walls).

• RMweb Gold

Progress is slow, but getting there. Track laying is getting close to being completed and need to finish laying the sidings, hopefully before the weekend. Then I can get on with wiring the droppers to the bus wires. I have being soldering the droppers to the underside of the rails before laying the track, drilling holes through the board and feeding the wire through the holes when gluing the track down.

The station building is coming along slowly, but made the windows a little too large, so have been correcting those. Hoping to get carving started soon and will then post some photos.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil,

I have added a couple of photos of W.I.P. but there is still plenty to do, but does give you an idea of how the building looks. The section on the right is the gents toilet and currently a separate sections so that I can add the urinals etc as these can be seen through the roof / skylight. This type of gents with roof appears at a few stations on the Exeter / Barnstaple line - Portsmouth Arms, Umberleigh and Lapford. The tile grout on the gents needs to be sanded smooth and then touched up where needed. I find that it takes at least three goes to get the tile grout to fully cover the plasticard.

post-7854-0-56024100-1318677429.jpg

post-7854-0-47526300-1318677432.jpg

post-7854-0-13416300-1318677437.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

The building is looks fantastic, It will look great when finished. Love the way you do that brick work.

RAY70B

Do like the way your buildings are being made Richard. Look forward to seeing more pictures of them.

Colin

Thanks guys.

I seem to be in the right frame of mind at the moment to construct the buildings!

I thought that you might appreciate some 'during construction photos'. Will be a few more days before there is much more to show as the carving of the stone work does take some time!

I have also finished laying most of the track work, well all that can be laid before I get the fiddle yard (s) built for each end. Just letting the glue dry overnight and will then look at cutting the rails and splitting the boards to make it easier to solder the dropper wires to the bus wires - i.e. lay the boards on their backs rather than working under the boards! Will then be able to run the first trains! Next will be the point motors!

• RMweb Gold

The stone work carving on the station building is nearing completion - just the road-side wall to do, then finish the toilet block.

I also bought a few more wagon kits today, so will make a start on these over the weekend.

Still not run any trains on the track under their own power yet - another job to hopefully get done over the weekend!

Photos to follow.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matey, progress look good, I cant wait to see the finished buildings, please add some pics as you do things like the glazing etc. What wagon kits have you bought?

Hi Andy.

Thanks for comments.

The wagon kits are 3 Dogfish (Cambrian), a couple of which will be paired with Mermaid wagons (I want to get a couple more of these) to make 'Mer-Dogs'.

As the main part of the layout is a permanent way depot, I will need quite a few PW wagons, plus ballast wagons (Sealions / Walrus).

I like the Cambrian kits, which although can be a bit awkward / tricky to put together sometimes, do end up with great looking wagons. Also, I do enjoy building kits.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richrad

The station building looks fantastic, the photo's does not give it justice, it looks better in the flesh than the photo's

keep up the good work.

RAY70B

Hi Ray,

So you, Darren01 and Westcountryman had a sneak peek yesterday!

Well, I have attached a few photos showing current progress. The ballasting is far from finished, with a few patches to fill and then the yard will largely be covered with 'ash' - all this will follow when the track has been tested and point motors fitted.

Also, trains have been running through Burrington Arms today! I checked everything electrically with an old analogue controller first and once happy everything was fine - all working first time!

I then have temporarily connected my old Dynamis DCC to the layout, but will get another panel for my NCE Powercab at a later date (just need to decide where to fit the panel first). The point motors have yet to be fitted to the points yet, so holding these over manually, but there is no power being fed across the frog, so the 08 doesn't run very well. However, good to finally run a few trains back and forth, very satisfying. I did notice a couple of areas on the track that need a few minor tweaks, but expected this anyway.

The stone work carving has been finished on the station building (since the photos were taken) and the 'mortar' has been painted, next will be drybrushing the stone colour and will post some more photos when this has been done. So far, very pleased how this building has turned out.

The 08 is shunting the two Mermaids, with a class 25 idling in the siding. The 'dark' patches are where the magnets for the Sprat and Winkle couplings have been fitted under the track.

post-7854-0-15773600-1319393419.jpg

A general view of the yard.

post-7854-0-94641000-1319393421.jpg

The class 25 ready to leave with the Mermaids, but awaiting the DMU to depart from the station

post-7854-0-55469800-1319393424.jpg

The DMU in the station, with correct destination (the other end needs to be changed). The platforms are yet to be built, but buildings placed in approximate positions. The strip of green foam indicates position of 'removed' track.

post-7854-0-18178200-1319393428.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The carving of the stones on the station building have been finished and now painted. Although, I think that I need to weathering the colouring down a bit - adding a bit of soot build-up, but will wait until the whole building is finished so that it all can be blended in together. Next job will be the doors, windows and porch on the platform side.

I have also been busy assembling the three Dogfish wagons and when painted will post some photos. I have also bought a Walrus kit, so will get started on this one soon.

post-7854-0-80781900-1319644907.jpg

post-7854-0-23301200-1319644911.jpg

Archived