Burrington Arms - Devon

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

This is a new layout that I have started as a follow up to Orchard Road TMD, which if you have been following the thread is nearing completion and therefore time to move onto something new.

I have been considering various ideas for quite sometime, thinking about small layouts / box file layouts / etc - but finally settled on this scheme. Further inspiration came with the purchase of a new book - The North Devon Line - a great book covering the line from Exeter through to Ilfracombe.

So, onto the design. Wanting to have something a bit different and also allow some shunting, I came up with the idea of a small permanent way depot, based mainly on the centre board, but with the addition of each board one both ends, the sidings can be extended to allow more space for shunting wagons. I don't remember seeing many layouts based upon PW depots. Several ideas come from an article in an model railway magazine - I can't remember which one as I only kept the relevant pages - based on the PW at Taunton.

With the addition of the two boards at each end, one running into a short fiddle yard (which will be extended in the future) and the other one will have a small station. The station is based upon Portsmouth Arms / Umberleigh, but with only one platform in use, with the waiting shelter and signal box (possibly) still extant on the second platform, although both will be rather un-kempt. The station building will still be in use and will be modelled on the one at Portsmouth Arms - a stone built station. The out-of-use goods shed will be modelled on the one at Umberleigh, with the bay as per Portsmouth Arms, but with the track removed or very overgrown (with point sleepers in place, but crossing vee and blades removed.

The PW depot will receive ballast loads from the quarry - a fictional quarry being opened on the Exeter side, but due to track configurations, the wagons need to be brought into the depot so that the engine can be changed to the other end to run back towards Exeter. A few other wagons can the be brought in, shunted and dispatched. All this will be intersped with a 2-car DMU running from F/Y to short F/Y. Eventually with the addition of the second F/Y longer trains, plus some freight can be run through in both directions.

The period will be late 70's / early 80's using my existing stock, but will need more wagons! These will be a mixture of RTR and kits, but more likely will be kits. Given time, the period could be shifted backwards and forwards to provide some variety.

I was given some SMP 00 track and points - a close friend passed away a couple of years ago and his widow past the track onto me. I will also be using Sprat and Winkle couplings, so have buried a few magnets under the track. The main points and track on the centre board have been laid and I will post a couple of photos. Also, the base boards have been recycled from previous layouts that did not progress very far. Currently the centre board is narrower than the other two, but a scenic section will be added.

The layout is designed / intended for exhibitions and will be DCC operated, as per Orchard Road using my NCE Powercab.

I don't expect progress to be too rapid, but will post updates as and when things get done.

post-7854-0-40352500-1313701000_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-96452600-1313701029.jpg

Really nice idea and a good start mate, i like how the bridge at the right hand side is at an angle and on a curve also the old goods shed and the platform, could prove for soem nice movements

Great start and i will definatly be watching all the way

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil,

I didn't mention before, but the bridges will be similar to that on Orchard Road, being typical of several bridges on the Exeter / Barnstaple line. I like skew bridges and as most bridges are skewed adds to the realism. The one on the left will have space behind the rear corner to allow the backscene to be curved in the corner (something I should have done on Orchard Road). Incidentally the backscene will be photo backscenes - I have one set of Gaugemaster sky, but now need to get a couple more to cover the whole layout length. The bridge on the right will not only be skewed, but also on an incline and will then curve round to the right.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Looks like a very interesting project - Lots of local interest.

I'm always impressed with your building work and look forward to what you come up with - although I appreciate that might be a way off yet!

All the best,

James

• RMweb Premium

Given the name that you have given the layout I would be tempted to change the cottage for a pub called the Burrington Arms. To me this would give a nice reason for the name of the layout.

Hi Richard,

At last, you have finally revealed the location of your next eagerly awaited layout.

Don't forget to leave plenty of space for the wonderful ephemera which you always detail your layouts so well with.

This part of the world always give some fantastic subject matter, & some lovely sources of inspiration.

If Burrington Arms turns out anywhere near the standard of Orchard Road, then this one will be well worth waiting for.

The trackplan & layout content looks just the job, & we'll keep a larger space for you at next year's exhibition!

Best of luck with the progress, & I'll see you soon.

All the best,

Rob (westcountryman)

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Looks like a very interesting project - Lots of local interest.

I'm always impressed with your building work and look forward to what you come up with - although I appreciate that might be a way off yet!

All the best,

James

Thanks James. I am taking on quite a few buildings and these do take me some time to build! (I also have a few to make for the club layout, but that's another story).

It will certainly help to use real buildings as a basis, plus I also want a strong region stamp on the layout.

Given the name that you have given the layout I would be tempted to change the cottage for a pub called the Burrington Arms. To me this would give a nice reason for the name of the layout.

Thanks Kris,

I was wondering where to place the 'pub' and the location of the cottage works. There is also the possibility of having a footpath running along the front of the layout, with associated fencing / hedging etc.

Looks to be an interesting project and will look forward to seeing it develop.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

I was hoping that this would prove to be interesting - hopefully it will turn out this way.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

It all is looking good. Knowing your modelling skills this will look even more stuning than Orchard Road.

Keep up the good modelling.

RAY70B

Hi Richard,

At last, you have finally revealed the location of your next eagerly awaited layout.

Don't forget to leave plenty of space for the wonderful ephemera which you always detail your layouts so well with.

This part of the world always give some fantastic subject matter, & some lovely sources of inspiration.

If Burrington Arms turns out anywhere near the standard of Orchard Road, then this one will be well worth waiting for.

The trackplan & layout content looks just the job, & we'll keep a larger space for you at next year's exhibition!

Best of luck with the progress, & I'll see you soon.

All the best,

Rob (westcountryman)

Thanks guys.

I know I have been talking to you about this for a few weeks, well now created a new thread!

There should be plenty of scope for detailing within the PW yard, with old / new sleepers lying around, plus oil drums, rail-chairs, rail etc. I wanted to have a bit of contrast between the detail in the centre of the layout, with more open scenery and buildings either side of the 'action'.

I'm not sure if it will be ready for showing next year! If shown, it will be far from finished - we shall have to see on that one!

Hi Richard

This looks really good and will give you a lot of operating potential. I know that you will make this new layout ooze plenty of atmosphere and I shall really look forward to following progress and eventually seeing it in the "flesh"!!

All the best mate

exmoordave

Hi Richard

As stated by those above it certainly looks to have a lot of potential & I also am looking forward to watching your progress.

I am looking forward to seeing the layout grow from scratch as I was most impressed with your superb Orchard Road & the stunning detail you incorporated into it

All the best Bill

Hi Richard,

I have found it...

You have progressed very well since Club night. It was nice to see the plans ahead of the web. Looking forward to some great modelling and as Rob said there will be a place for you at the next years show.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys for your comments. I have just got back from holiday, so no actual progress on the layout, but hope to get some done over the next couple of days!

However, I have not been idle while being away (I make sure that there is space in the car to take some modelling materials and tools - well I pack the car so make sure that there is space!)

- I have made a start on one of the yard buildings and will post some photos later!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard,

Just caught up with this thread, and the new layout looks very good. The North Devon Line has a lot going for it in modelling terms, particularly in your period.

Were there any loco-hauled passenger trains at this time, or was it only DMUs?

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for comment and glad to see that you have found the thread!

Yes, there certainly is some good modelling inspiration on the ND line and with quite a few of the buildings still extant, plenty to study in the flesh!

There were still loco-hauled trains during the late 70's / early 80's and still direct coaches from Paddington! As previously mentioned, there are a couple of good books - one recently purchased being The North Devon Line - The Southern Railway Route between Exeter and Ilfracombe by John Nicholas and George Reeve - published by Irwell Press. Thoroughly recommended and provides so much inspiration for Burrington Arms!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, as mentioned earlier, I have attached a photo of the yard office.

This is based upon the office that stood at Yeoford (see aforementioned book) and has been scaled as close as possible from the photo, so may not be entirely accurate, whilst hopefully maintaining the right feel.

The timber cladding is from Evergreen sheets, with brick plasticard plinth and chimney. The window and door were made separately, with the door planks being individually glued onto a piece of 20 thou plasticard. I have yet to finish the roof, which will be grey paper, cut into strips and glued in place, which will then be lightly weathered. The wooden walls have been painted initially white with a little light brown added and when dry, was drybrushed with white over the top, although the colours are little washed out in the photo. I will spend a bit more time when the building has been finished. The bricks were first painted with slightly thinned buff paint and then drybrushed with leather colour paint. I will add a few slight colour variations later.

post-7854-0-95505400-1314531079.jpg

really nice Richard, i love the brick work on the chimeney, how did you do that??

HI Richard

Certainly looks good,especially the 'weathered' effect of old brickwork.

well up to your usual high standard of quality modelling

Bill

• RMweb Gold

really nice Richard, i love the brick work on the chimeney, how did you do that??

hi Neil,

The chimney is built around a 40thou core - i.e. front, rear and sides. cutting the angled pieces in was a bit of a pain though. Then the core is then clad with Slaters brick plasticard, but by laying and glueing onto a larger section and then trimming when dry, starting with the front face. Then each side is glued in turn and trimmed to suit. When all glued and dry, the edges are filed flush and then the coarses are extended across the edges of the plasticard to continue the bricks all the way round using a triangular file. A little tedious to do, but essential to achieve the correct looking brick work. Then the whole brick is washed with buff acrylic and then drybrushed with leather acrylic. As mentioned above, a little further colouring will follow.

• RMweb Gold

HI Richard

Certainly looks good,especially the 'weathered' effect of old brickwork.

well up to your usual high standard of quality modelling

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for you kind comments.

Still a long way to go yet though!

It looks unlikely that I will actually get very far with the rest of the layout this weekend with too many other things to get done at home! However, hope to make a start on the signal box this evening. I do need to get some grey paper to make the roof, and may be able to get this tomorrow (well my wife will if I ask her nicely!)

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start on the signal box this evening and will try and post some photos tomorrow. I have only started the timber top section, again using Evergreen profile sheet and will make a start on the stone base tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a great deal to report, but didn't get the photos taken!

However, I have made some more progress on the signal box. The stone plinth has been started, with the tile grout applied, which when dry will be sanded and then carved. Hope to get some photos posted in the next few days!

I now also have the grey paper, so can get on with the roof on the yard office and signal box.

No progress with the layout itself - due in part to Orchard Road currently re-erected in the garage and not much space to put the boards up for Burrington Arms.

• RMweb Gold

About time for an update!

I have made a start on the roofs for the yard office and signal box. Just need to finish the ridge tiles, add a little weathering with dry-brushing and the yard office will be finished.

The signal box is coming on ok - the stone base needs to be carved - a task for this evening. Then I can get painting. Also need to finish the roof, which is quite an awkward shape. A brick chimney needs to be added to the rear of the box and then the windows (not my favourite task). I will post some more photos when done.

Still no progress on the layout though! I am thinking about adopting Ray's servo driven point switching (see Yard Shunter).

Signal box - this will be platform mounted, and will sit on a stone plinth (yet to be carved) and the brick steps give access up. I noticed after finishing that I forgot to add the window to the end wall, but will need to leave this out now.

post-7854-0-20529300-1315588235.jpg

The other 3/4 view.

post-7854-0-22206500-1315588242.jpg

The yard office - just need to add the ridge tiles to finish.

post-7854-0-83852700-1315588245.jpg

Archived