Burrington Arms - Devon

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Well, with a long break for Christmas, I've had a bit of time to continue with more buildings for Burrington Arms.

A start has been made on the goods shed, following the same method as the station building - i.e. plasticard walls, covered with tile grout and then carved. The stones have been painted with acrylics and the two end windows have been made (these are a real pain to make, but quite pleased with how they have turned out). I will make a start on the track side loading doors and the road side loading doors over the weekend and then get the roof sorted.

As a change from the goods shed, I made the office / canteen / toilet block for the permanent way depot. This is based upon photos of the building that once stood at Taunton PW Depot, suitably modified for my needs. The structure is my usual plasticard, with Slaters brick plasticard. The roof (could not be seen from the photos) is roofing felt, represented with masking tape, cut to fit between the ribs and then painted. The ribs are first painted timber colour and then the final colours washed on and then drybrushed. A store building will also be required, but not entirely sure what this will be yet.

No further work on the layout itself though, but I was hoping to get some work done.

I will post some photos later.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

A couple of questions, if I may...

Do you prime the plasticard with anything (pva?) before applying the tiling grout ?

Do you allow the grout to set before carving, or carve whilst still wet ?

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

A couple of questions, if I may...

Do you prime the plasticard with anything (pva?) before applying the tiling grout ?

Do you allow the grout to set before carving, or carve whilst still wet ?

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu

I just apply the grout straight onto the plasticard, in a thin layer. I find that I can't cover the whole building on one go and often takes three or four applications. I give the grout a sand with glass paper (held in a small block of wood to get flat) between the third and final coatings. This exposes the areas that need more grout. A final sanding gets the grout smooth, well smooth enough for our needs and a few blemishes add to the final effect.

Carving follows after sanding and due to the tile grout being very hard when cured it needs to be dampened in small areas to enable carving. I start with the corners and around the windows / doors, filling in between afterwards.

When finished, the whole building is painted a buff colour for the grout between the 'stones' and then drybrushed to the colour (s) required.

I hope that this helps.

• RMweb Gold

I have attached a few photos showing the goods shed and the office / canteen for the permanent way depot.

post-7854-0-86576600-1325502567.jpg

Rail-side view - loading door to be added before the roof can be started.

post-7854-0-59374100-1325502608.jpg

The end door fr the canteen. I will add interior details later.

post-7854-0-66122300-1325502611.jpg

The door in the main building is for the office and the toilet block on the left.

post-7854-0-47456100-1325502615.jpg

A rear view.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

Thanks. The description of the roof construction on the canteen / office is detailed above. Masking tape strips are applied over the plasticard base, with plasticard strips between and then painted.

I have attached a few photos showing the goods shed and the office / canteen for the permanent way depot.

post-7854-0-86576600-1325502567.jpg

Rail-side view - loading door to be added before the roof can be started.

post-7854-0-59374100-1325502608.jpg

The end door fr the canteen. I will add interior details later.

post-7854-0-66122300-1325502611.jpg

The door in the main building is for the office and the toilet block on the left.

post-7854-0-47456100-1325502615.jpg

A rear view.

Hi Richard

Superb as usual,I am really enjoying following your progress

Cheers Bill

Hi Richard,

Once again, you've made a great job of the buildings.

Is that the goods shed based on the Braunton example?

I particularly like the canteen, what a super piece of modelling.

I love the way you achieve the worn look on the doors, very realistic.

Can't wait to see your handiwork in print, I'm keeping my eyes peeled!

Looking forward to meeting up at the next club meeting on the 10th.

Compliments of the season & a happy new year.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

once again the buildings a great bit of modelling, they are fantastic.

RAY70B

Thanks Ray.

Hi Richard

Superb as usual,I am really enjoying following your progress

Cheers Bill

Glad you're enjoying the thread. Just goes to prove that people like to read / see photos of layout progress, rather than reading an article in a magazine when the layout is finished!

Hi Richard,

Once again, you've made a great job of the buildings.

Is that the goods shed based on the Braunton example?

I particularly like the canteen, what a super piece of modelling.

I love the way you achieve the worn look on the doors, very realistic.

Can't wait to see your handiwork in print, I'm keeping my eyes peeled!

Looking forward to meeting up at the next club meeting on the 10th.

Compliments of the season & a happy new year.

Rob

The goods shed is modelled on the one that once stood at Portsmouth Arms and similar to others on the Exeter / Barnstaple line and of course the one at Braunton!

I'm also making a larger goods shed for our club layout (Tawbridge), which is modelled on the one at Braunton!

The door effect is quite simple to achieve - paint first in a timber colour (Citadel burned earth) and when dry, the top colour is applied, allowing for the brown to show through. Then a dark grey / black is washed over.

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to finish the goods shed today and have posted a couple of photos below. I have also added the bench inside the waiting shelter - the stone work being simply a photocopy of the rear wall, cut to size and glued in place.

Waiting shelter

post-7854-0-15482900-1325963485.jpg

Goods shed - rail side

post-7854-0-30258200-1325963489.jpg

Goods shed - road side (not that much of this will be seen when placed on layout).

post-7854-0-74470100-1325963493.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Clever idea re copying stonework for inside the shelter!

I like the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep-It-Simple-Stupid), plus I was not going to even attempt carving the inside walls and they won't easily be seen when the waiting shelter is fitted onto the platform!

HI Richard

I do like your workmens rest room and the little good shed is very good as well!, well done .

Going to be a good start to your layout and will look very much at home once in place ,keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

HI Richard

I do like your workmens rest room and the little good shed is very good as well!, well done .

Going to be a good start to your layout and will look very much at home once in place ,keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

Thanks Darren. It's not the normal process / sequence for my layout building - i.e. doing most of the buildings first! I just hope that they all fit in as planned!

I'm thinking about a couple more structures, which may get started soon.

I also need to have a think about having a scenic break along part of the front of the layout, forcing different views and needing to look around the scenic break to see more of the layout. I want to try and avoid being able to see the whole of the layout from one view point - i.e. will need to move down the layout to see everything. This also has the benefit of making the layout seem larger than it actually is when you look at photos - I have a similar effect on Orchard Road - which appears to be larger that the layout is actually.

• RMweb Gold

I also need to have a think about having a scenic break along part of the front of the layout, forcing different views and needing to look around the scenic break to see more of the layout. I want to try and avoid being able to see the whole of the layout from one view point - i.e. will need to move down the layout to see everything. This also has the benefit of making the layout seem larger than it actually is when you look at photos - I have a similar effect on Orchard Road - which appears to be larger that the layout is actually.

Hi Richard,

That sounds like a really good idea - just like the real world - and has the benefit of making it appear larger as you say.

I've missed a few of your posts so I'll go back and comment on the buildings too - really excellent. I like the roof on the office/canteen/toilet with the battening - I bet it used to leak like my garden shed always does! Simple but effective.

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much progress on the layout, but I have been working on a couple grounded van bodies. One will find it's way into the corner of one of the fields or near the farm at some point. The other will find it's way to another layout!

Both are modelled on LSWR vans (from a drawing in Railway Modeller in the early 70's), using pre-scribed plastic sheets (Evergreen), with plasticard strips for the framing. The roof is a piece of 20thou pre-curved. Then painted light brown (wood colour) and then the darker brown (Railmatch) painted on top, but a little patching to allow some of the lighter brown to show through. The roof covering is tissue paper glued with a glue stick and painted grey, followed by black weathering powders.

post-7854-0-60810600-1327771671.jpg

post-7854-0-94058600-1327771675.jpg

post-7854-0-84837500-1327771679.jpg

post-7854-0-39118300-1327771683.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The roofs on the grounded van bodies are superb! That is some fantastic weathering :D

Thanks Matt - a simple enough method. The only thing next time, would be paint the whole of the roof brown first and introduce the graining effect before gluing the tissue paper.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

No major progress on the layout as of late - the boards are currently stacked on the floor of the garage while I use the space for something else - but I've made a couple of fuel / oil tanks which will find their way onto the layout eventually. A little more oil will be added once these are glued into place and then blended into the scene.

post-7854-0-33464100-1330883086.jpg

Archived