Dragon Steels, South Wales metals traffic 1990-1992

Wayne 37901

Afternoon,

As work continues on the buildings I couldn't resist having some stock out on the layout to see how it was looking, as a result I decided to take a few snaps of a shunting move.

First of all here's 08664 preparing to marshall a train which has recently arrived.

08664.jpg

Next it removes the VAA van and moves into the next road for collection later.

086643.jpg

086644.jpg

It's next task is couple up to the BAAs and reverse them into the yard.

086645.jpg

It then returns with a single loaded BAA for the coil warehouse.

086646.jpg

After finishing it's moves 08664 is seen resting on the short headshunt.

086642.jpg

That's all for now, in the next update I hope to finally show some buildings.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the kind words Lukasz.

I've been making more progress on the buildings recently and I thought I'd take a quick snap to show where I'm at so far.

The following pic shows what will be the main building in place and cladding is now in the process of being added. The cardboard tube is representing a chimney I may install and the grey steel cladding is merely standing to see how it might look. Beyond that I'm a bit undecided about what to do with the end building, I dont want it to be another big jobbie as the original idea was to have a medium sized building here and continue the back wall up to backscene height to represent a much larger structure, but at the moment I'm unsure. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on where I might go at this end?

Meanwhile here is the pic

buildings.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

Go big Wayne - as big as you can get, in the space you've got.

Don't forget, the steelworks buildings, mills and warehouses are huge, and dwarf locos and stock.

Here's a couple of shots of the mill building I built for my 'bar and section mill' currently in hibernation !

The building was made from 5mm foam board, clad with Pikestuff panels, held on with double-sided tape, so I could re-use the cladding on any future project.

Brian

post-1599-0-64165000-1318267913_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-25567800-1318267983_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-99860600-1318268061_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the reply Brian,

Yes I see what you mean by big whilst looking at your pics, it's nice to see Cardiff Bar & Section Mills again, you've done a great job there.

With regard to my buildings, I'm somewhat limited by the height of my backscene because the layout has to fit in/out of the loft hatch. But looking at the space I have I could certainly go for something bigger, it would make an interesting build. I think I'll knock up a cardboard mock up and see how it looks. I also need to try and get hold of a Peco engine shed kit, partly so I can use the wall panels and partly so I can get all the doors/vents etc.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon,

Just a quick bump to say where I'm at.

The basic layout of the buildings has now been decided and cladding of the bare shells is continuing at a steady pace. More corrugated steel was bought today so I can now crack on with this side of things, I've even started looking at suitable sizes of tube for pipework.

Things are starting to look how I imagined them now.

Was also nice to see Brian R and Marc Smith at the Cardiff show over the weekend, sorry i couldn't talk for longer Brian - I was a bit pressed for time. It's always nice to chat to fellow modellers at a show, I do enjoy the social side of our hobby. Marc your layout has once again given me another boost of inspiration, you've really done a good job with Wales, Rails, Rain and Steel. I just hope mine will turn out at least half as good.

Should be back with a more detailed update with some pics around the end of the week.

Cheers,

Edited by Wayne 37901

At least you made the show Wayne.

As for your pipework, I used various Plastruct / Evergreen tubing and a mitre block to cut angles etc.

It's quite easy making the brackets, supports joints, flanges once you get into it.

If you want to pick my brains (ha !) just PM me, here or on FB.

Brian

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Evening everyone,

Just a quick update to bump this one up.

Progress is cracking on, although I always find it difficult to photograph and doccument the stages. The buildings are nearing completion and will soon be ready for priming and painting. What I'm looking at now is som scenic work, I'm just waiting to pick up some hanging basket liner for my overgrown bank surrounding the bridge, this also bringing me to the look at options for hiding the road as it goes into the backscene.

I'm also looking at how to do the front on the layout as I was going to have a sloping overgrown bank with some kind of outlet culvert possibly for waste water from the works, but I'm wondering how feasable it is. I know it's probably not in keeping with the area but I do like to see some scenery at the front of a layout.

Anyway, I'll be back with a proper update soon.

Cheers,

Thanks Peter and Class 66,

I'm hoping to make some more progress during this week. So I should be able to put up some pictures soon, It's nice to hear that people are still interested though because it helps to keep things going.

Cheers,

• 5 months later...

Hi Wayne,

How about another bridge span with the track lifted and now used for road access for P/W gangs etc.

Hi wayne,

I know this is an older reply to your post,

but Wordsell was thinking just the same subject we discussed over the weekend....

You don't see many disused / semi-lifted sidings modelled

The layout is looking good

Now, get it finished in time for next years L&B show ;)

Cheers

Marc

Hi wayne,

I know this is an older reply to your post,

but Wordsell was thinking just the same subject we discussed over the weekend....

You don't see many disused / semi-lifted sidings modelled

Hi Marc,

Ah yes, I did take that suggestion into account for that reason but at the time I had already installed the current track layout and I felt adding anymore lines would look a little cluttered. But indeed you dont see many disused lines modelled, one for the next layout perhaps.

The layout is looking good

Thanks marc. Now that I've got a fair bit of ground cover down, it's starting look a little how I imagined it.

Now, get it finished in time for next years L&B show ;)

Haha! At my rate of progress you must be joking. :mosking: but seriously, I would like to get it finished. It's been waaaay too long! over the weekend I did get a fair bit done and i think I've got an idea of how I want the front to look now.

Cheers

• Like 1

....At my rate of progress you must be joking. :mosking: but seriously, I would like to get it finished. It's been waaaay too long! over the weekend I did get a fair bit done and i think I've got an idea of how I want the front to look now.

Cheers

Glad to see there's some progress :)

seriously tho, I would like to see you exhibit this one....

You know how fond I and several other South Walians are on steelworks...

Hwyl

Marc

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a long time since any postings Wayne....

You did say there has been some progress,

so please post some pics, when you have time...

It would be good to see this one more complete.....

Ciya soon

Marc

Hi Marc,

Sorry I missed your post.

Yes it has been some time since I posted in here, the main reason being that I wanted to just spend time getting on with things rather than stopping to post up updates. Having said that there has indeed been some progress although there was a slight step back in that I had to rebuild the framework of my buildings as the previous attempts using mounting card had warped quite badly. The new ones use foamboard and I have to say seem much better and stronger but still light at the same time which is what I wanted.

I've spent most of today getting them clad and deciding what to do about detailing, I even managed a little field trip down to Celsa this afternoon to grab a few pics with the digital pocket camera for reference and some very quick and basic detail scribbles on a note pad. Aside from the buildings, I also found looking at the slag dump near the water works interesting to look at. As I arrived there was a shunt in progress with the new Hunslet loco but it was well underway so no point in trying to grab photo's, that's twice I've missed shunts now. I dont suppose our mine of information (Brian R) knows when these shunts are carried out?

Anyway yes, things are progressing although at my usual slow rate. I do have other schemes in mind so am looking forward to this being finished.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep this one going, I thought I'd report on how things are doing.

This is coming together nicely now, the re-built buildings (the originals warped quite badly) are now finished, painted and detailing has commenced by the assembly of some walkway. Also the scenery is slowly advancing. I picked up some static grass to try out today,I've not tried this before so we'll see how it goes.

I took my model of 37904 to visit Marc Smith's excellent layout Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel recently so that some pictures could be taken for an article I'm writing up. I'm really pleased with them, Marc did a really good job capturing the look of the model much better than I could. I wont duplicate the picture here (it's already in two topics on here) but I may post another sometime.

I'm hoping once I've made progress with the layout to do a bumper update with pictures. At the moment though I'd rather just get on with the modelling while I have the motivation.

Cheers all

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

Looking forward to more... :no:  :paint:

Thanks class 66,

When I have a bit more done I'll do a bumper update with pictures.

Looking at the last pic I posted further up this page showing the 08 with the mock buildings in the background I can see how much things have progressed. It's surprising what you can achieve when you have a burst of motivation.

Today's job is to hopefully finish off the wall around the roadbridge, start weathering buildings and hopefully a bit of scenic play.

Cheers

• Like 1

I've spent most of today getting them clad and deciding what to do about detailing, I even managed a little field trip down to Celsa this afternoon to grab a few pics with the digital pocket camera for reference and some very quick and basic detail scribbles on a note pad. Aside from the buildings, I also found looking at the slag dump near the water works interesting to look at. As I arrived there was a shunt in progress with the new Hunslet loco but it was well underway so no point in trying to grab photo's, that's twice I've missed shunts now. I dont suppose our mine of information (Brian R) knows when these shunts are carried out?

Wayne

Sorry I missed this post first time around.

Generally there is a melt/cast every three hours at Tremorfa, with a train then run to take the hot billets to the Castle Works (Rod Mill).

Occasionally the billets will go to the 16" mill instead, and are shunted only a couple of hundred yards behind the melt shop and mill, out of sight if you're on Rover Way. These working use shorter 'SS' /'SB' wagons carrying shorter billets.

Unfortunately I don't have the current times - I'll ask my contact next time I speak with him.

I have a large number of photos taken in and around the works if you need any - just let me know what feature(s) you're after and I'll check to see what (if any) pics I've got.

I must admit, my interest in the area waned once ASW went into liquidation, and declined even further when EWS (DB) lost the contract to GBRf - which sort of combined with change of jobs and the  need to occasionally divert  drive past the Tremorfa works.

Brian

Hi Brian,

That's ok, no problem. I've been looking through your Celsa thread on the old RMweb which showed some times and I just wondered if they stayed the same or may have changed. If you could find out from your contact that would be great.

I managed to observe a shunt on the 31/08 of the scrap bay. The DH50-1 was in the process of bringing empty VTG (ex Sheerness Steel) JXA wagons to Tidal along with three JNA (ex TML KEA). I noted down the movement and wagon numbers just for reference. It then got me thinking about operations on my layout and I started writing a basic operating sequence and I decided I'd like to have some internal traffic. Not sure how the MB (Merchant Bar) wagons might look on my layout as they're long bogie bolsters, but I'd certainly like some SB (Short Billet) wagons of the ex HEA/TTA variety.

This week I've been weathering buildings and making a start on the detailing. I can see it coming together now and as I said further up I'll do a bumper update with some pictures soon, but for now while I have the motivation I'm happy to just crack on with things.

Cheers

PS: Hope you're enjoying Spain

....., but I'd certainly like some SB (Short Billet) wagons of the ex HEA/TTA variety.

PS: Hope you're enjoying Spain

Don't forget you can build the shorter (four wheeled) billet carriers using the underframes from both Bachmann and Cambrian POA wagons as well, if you are modelling post-2007.

If modelling pre-2003 you could scratchbuild some 'Red Adders' on TTA underframes - they were not network registered, but built for internal use and so their springs were not modified.

Consider a simple rebuild of the Bachmann Crocodile/Weltrol into the one-off billet carrier as well ?

Anything you need, fleetlist, sightings, photos - just let me know.

Brian R

PS

As for Spain . . . . . . . . . . it's sunny, 'warm' and one needs to remain 'hydrated'

Edited by br2975

Don't forget you can build the shorter (four wheeled) billet carriers using the underframes from both Bachmann and Cambrian POA wagons as well, if you are modelling post-2007.

If modelling pre-2003 you could scratchbuild some 'Red Adders' on TTA underframes - they were not network registered, but built for internal use and so their springs were not modified.

Consider a simple rebuild of the Bachmann Crocodile/Weltrol into the one-off billet carrier as well ?

Brian R

PS

As for Spain . . . . . . . . . . it's sunny, 'warm' and one needs to remain 'hydrated'

Hydration- nice cup of tea..?

Brian R

PS

Hi Brian,

I'll be modelling up to about 1997/8 split into two time periods. Yes I saw a photo of a Red Adder which I think you might have posted so I'd like one or two of those. Funny you mention the one off Crocodile as I was looking at these in Lord & Butler the other week.

As far as Short Billet wagons are concerned I think a couple of HEA type ones will do for now. While on the subject of internal users, I realise there were wagons for scrap/reject wire coils but were there any for scrap billets?

Ooh yes please pics, fleet numbers etc will be most useful, I'll PM/Email you about that and some info on 08's will be required at some point as well if it's no trouble.

Cheers