Dragon Steels, South Wales metals traffic 1990-1992

Wayne 37901

Good morning,

This thread will hopefully show the progress of my small shunting layout themed around a steelworks based in South Wales. This will be my first attempt at this type of layout and I thought I would tell my story here and share it with anyone else out there who may be looking into this kind of layout. I've become attached to them in the last couple of years. Those who have seen the likes of Marc Smith's Hendre Lane and Wales, Rails, Rain and Steel for example will know what can be achieved in a small space, even in OO gauge.

The idea for this layout started way back towards the end of 2009 when i stripped some pallets for the timber to use as frames (I was on a tight budget!), then I had remembered two spare boards up in the attic which I had built for another project that quite frankly wasn't going to happen. Then having seen what Marc did with Hendre gave me the idea for something smaller and at the same time I realised that I had more steel traffic related rolling stock compared to other stuff. Bingo! The idea for a steelworks theme was born, this layout uses just one scenic board out of the two bare boards.

Cheers,

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 6

Hi Wayne

Nice idea and looking forward to the updated pics, whats the plan with the scenery and buildings??

Neil

Thanks Neil,

The buildings will all be low relief structures based around various steelworks buildings (many thanks to Brian R for the CD of pics!). I made a start on these some time ago and I'm hoping to show them soon. One building will be a covered loading/unloading 'shed' for want of a better word, this forms part of a much larger building. The rest of which is off scene.

The plan for the scenery is to try and capture the rugged, grimy, run down looking nature of a steelwroks site. I'm hoping to have plent of junk dotted around as well. The area below the track at the front was going to have some of bank sloping down as I'd like to get some greenery in there as well. We'll see about that when we get there though.

Thanks for looking. I hope you'll be back when it's updated.

Cheers,

The buildings will all be low relief structures based around various steelworks buildings (many thanks to Brian R for the CD of pics!).

You're more than welcome Wayne

I've been into 'rehab' at 'The Priory' on a 'detox' regime of late, and have almost got the subject of 'steelworks' out of my system.

The boards for my 'new' layout are built, and I'll be in touch soon for your views and opinions.

In the meantime, good luck with your project,and the contents of my notes, photos and files are at your disposal should you need anything.

Brian R

Thanks Mick,

It's been going on for ages this layout. Is it possible to take this long over building a micro layout!?

I've been following the progress of New Bryford with much interest. it's really looking good. Once I get my camera back up and running I'll be back here with a bumper update. The board and layout have changed quite a bit compared to the old archive photo I posted in the OP.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys, it really does help to keep morale up knowing that people are interested out there. The support is very much appreciated.

SUCCESS....

A quick bit of news while I'm typing this out.

I've just finnished off testing the first bit of wired in track using what will probably become the resident shunting loco for the time being. That means that the bit of line can now be permanantly laid down as opposed to before where I had my track layout as I wanted it but it was merely laid loose.

More to come soon.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901

Hi,

Just a quickie update on this.

As of this evening, the last remaining section of track has now been laid and wired, testing has been completed with no major problems to iron out.. This means I can now start some groundwork, in particular the right hand end of the layout at the road bridge. I've already placed some 'land' to give me an idea but I'll be looking for some pointers and opinions on this before I do anything permanent.

I'm hoping to have a pic or two posted up during the coming week (providing I can get my charger).

Cheers,

Good evening,

Progress is continuing at a steady pace and tonight I have continued with the 'groundwork' by working at the road bridge end of the layout. The inspiration for this area came from a pic posted by Brian Rolley on Marc Smith's thread.

Below is the photo I have been looking at (hope you dont mind me posting this Brian?) however my bridge will be different to the one in the photo.

post2973032147100201285.jpg

• Like 2

Well after finally having sorted out my camera and it's new charger, I can now bring a much needed update to this thread.

First of all a picture showing the exit from the fiddle yard (I have a plan to hide this). Okay I know it's not a steel train but 37012 is standing on the central running line waiting to run round it's train of Rudds. The Railfreight VAA is standing inside what will be the rail served coil unloading area.

370122.jpg

Another view, this time looking at the end of the layout at the road bridge. As can be seen I have started to add some landform to this end of the board and outlines of a couple of buildings have been marked out.

37012.jpg

Still plenty of other jobs to do. I still need to fit the other three kadee magnets when my local stocks up again.

Comments and questions welcome as always.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 4

Good afternoon,

Just got home and have decided to do some more work at the bridge end of the layout. I keep looking at the foreground wondering how I can work it. Do I just follow my original plan and have the bank sloping down to the headshunt, or could I continue the retaining wall (although shallower at this point) around the stop block? Hmmmn...

Here's a pic to show the area as it stands, you can see where I have marked out the possible shallow retaining wall behind the headshunt.

bridgeo.jpg

I'd appreciate some comments or suggestions on my options before I comit to anything.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 3

Hi Wayne,

How about another bridge span with the track lifted and now used for road access for P/W gangs etc.

Hi Paul,

Thats certainly an option. I wonder if it would also allow lorries to access the works, I could also model a simple crossing and place stop boards so that locos have to obtain instructions before crossing.

Hmm, I'll have a think and a play with the board and see how it looks.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901

Hi Wayne,

I like the look of this, I think your idea with the bridge end works for me. Having the retaining how you have drawn it works for me, the whole area could be a bit run down, with weeds encroaching over the wall and onto the headshunt I think it would look good. Having a crossing might make the area look a bit too busy, if that makes sence.

Cheers Peter.

Progress is continuing at a steady pace and tonight I have continued with the 'groundwork' by working at the road bridge end of the layout. The inspiration for this area came from a pic posted by Brian Rolley on Marc Smith's thread.

Below is the photo I have been looking at (hope you dont mind me posting this Brian?) however my bridge will be different to the one in the photo.

post2973032147100201285.jpg

Not at all Wayne - following your thread with interest, and as yet I've not re-kindled my steelworks interest . . . . . but tracklaying on "Coldblow Lane" is progressing, but disrupted by Cardiff City v Southampton this evening.

Keep up the good work.

Brian R

Hi Wayne, looking good so far. I am also partial to a bit of steel traffic too, a few Metals 37s and 60s will finish off your layout a treat. The soon to be released Bachmann BAAs will be perfect for your layout.

Hi Grimley,

Thanks for the kind words.Yes steel traffic is one of my favourite subjects too, along with civil engineers traffic. Well yes definitely metals class 37s will make appearances along with occasional 56. I even want to include the RFD 47 (export/import steel workings?). To be honest I'll probably only have the odd appearance of a 60 as I can only run short trains, having said that it wasn't unusual for doughnuts to haul short workings having seen reference on both videos and photos so we'll see. Regarding BAAs, well to be honest I have a rake of these already (along with BBAs) built from Camrian kits so I will probably just get one or two Bachmann ones to model some variations. I'll be putting my Camby built ones into works for refurbishment at some point.

Hi Wayne,

I like the look of this, I think your idea with the bridge end works for me. Having the retaining how you have drawn it works for me, the whole area could be a bit run down, with weeds encroaching over the wall and onto the headshunt I think it would look good. Having a crossing might make the area look a bit too busy, if that makes sence.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

thanks. Yes having thought more about it I'm also inclined to stick with my plan of having the retaining wall and the sloping bank. Yes I think you are right about the area looking too 'busy' if I added another bridge span and used it for road access with a crossing. It would also mean that the central support would off centre compared to the span already in place. The effect of a slighty run down/grimy appearance is what I'm going for so I think I'll stick with that.

Cheers

Not at all Wayne - following your thread with interest, and as yet I've not re-kindled my steelworks interest . . . . . but tracklaying on "Coldblow Lane" is progressing, but disrupted by Cardiff City v Southampton this evening.

Keep up the good work.

Brian R

Ahh, hello Mr Rolley sir,

How are things with you and how was spain? Nice to hear you will be following this one. I cant believe it's taking me so long, it is a micro layout after all. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me post the pic up by the way, much appreciated.

Come on now, get Cardiff Bar and Section Mill back out... You know it makes sence. Hehe.

Yes I'm quite interested by Coldblow Lane, have you put up anything on here yet? Thanks for your information regarding wire in tube points by the way, I really appreciated the help. I've got mine wired up to switches for the polarity now, I just need to install the mechanical linkages at some point.

Right, time to get the foam board and the Wills brick back out

Cheers,

Edited by Wayne 37901

Just a quick update on progress.

As of this evening the retaining walls have built at the along the embankment. There is still some minor work to be done but it's more or less there.

bridgeqv.jpg

Here is a general overall view.

bridge2k.jpg

• Like 1

Ahh, hello Mr Rolley sir,

How are things with you and how was spain? Nice to hear you will be following this one. I cant believe it's taking me so long, it is a micro layout after all. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me post the pic up by the way, much appreciated.

Come on now, get Cardiff Bar and Section Mill back out... You know it makes sence. Hehe.

Yes I'm quite interested by Coldblow Lane, have you put up anything on here yet? Thanks for your information regarding wire in tube points by the way, I really appreciated the help. I've got mine wired up to switches for the polarity now, I just need to install the mechanical linkages at some point.

Right, time to get the foam board and the Wills brick back out

Wayne

Spain was fine - hot, and expensive . . . . . no new shed for me, not for a while !

'Cardiff Bar & Section Mill' has been evicted from the shed, wrapped up and stored in the garage.

'Coldblow Lane' is taking shape, the pointwork is down and Thursday night a built a jig to re-space Peco sleepers to a more acceptable appearance (as shown elsewhere on the site). Unfortunately I forgot to check my measurements and put a 7mm spacer in between the sleepers, instead of a spacer that gave 7mm sleeper centre to sleeper centre, so tonight a built a new jig !

As for the point rodding, if you're going to the Cardiff Show I'll show you what I'm doing.

Anyway, enough of my ranting, this is your thread - mine will start soon.

Brian

Edited by br2975

Anyway, enough of my ranting, this is your thread - mine will start soon.

No that's ok Brian, it's always good to hear what everyone else is up to. Glad spain was good, I'm really pleased we've been having some decent weather. Although working out in it can be tough at times.

Ah nice to hear you new layout is taking shape, please post up the link when you start a thread so I can check it out.

As regards my above post. Now that I have got the embankment and the retaining walls up I'll turn my attention back to buildings in the coming weeks. I started these quite some ago so need to dig them out again, some are just mere shells awaiting cladding. I'll then weather the track before I ballast it, looking through the pics on the CD I think my fine/medium mix light grey ballast will do and I'll weather further over the top of that. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901