N2 + 2 Gresley Coaches train pack

Brian D

Thought I'd start another Hornby thread tonight and see what comes back!

I've seen this on the Hatton website described thus "London 1948 train pack with Class N2, ex LNER Composite coach and an ex LNER 3rd brake coach. Olympics Limited edition. OO Gauge (1:76th scale) £164".

Goodness gracious me!! £164 for a tank loco and two coaches! I suppose it's the "Olympics" tag but I dont see the connection apart from the date (1948, the last time we had the Olympics).

I was rather hoping that Rails of Sheffield or someone would split these train packs so I could pick up an N2 at a reasonable price (got A4 Andrew K McCosh that way!) but at this price I can't see it happening.

However, as it has the Olympic connection, hopefully it will arrive sometime soon, unlike the well overdue B17.

I had looked at this set as a supplement to this years Rare Bird train pack with the similar unlined teak Gresleys. However at £164 (Rare Bird was £175 and I did buy that) I had to think again. There are plenty of other things inside or outside this hobby that I would much rather spend that sort of cash on and, I'm sorry to say, this applies to most of Hornby's present output .

RP

Like most of Hornby's products, the RRP and the price the model can be obtained for varies greatly...

The 'Flying Scotsman' train pack ( Blue A4 and detailed teaks ) for example is now less than £100 in Argos - I have seen it on sale for twice that.

A quick search has found your R2981 Hornby London Olympics 1948 Train Pack for £138 at Kernow.

Personally I'm tempted by the Imperial Airways train pack - Hornby list it at £220, but I have seen it £100 cheaper...I think it can fall a bit more yet.....I usually wait until they drop below £100 !

Like most of Hornby's products, the RRP and the price the model can be obtained for varies greatly...

True, but this also applies to other items that are competing for my cash.

RP

I am surprised they did not put 2 of the new non-corridor coaches in this pack would have looked much better with the N2. However I think that if the price is that high and they don't sell Hatton's will eventually drop the price to shift the stock off their shelves.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'm tempted by the Imperial Airways train pack - Hornby list it at £220, but I have seen it £100 cheaper...I think it can fall a bit more yet.....I usually wait until they drop below £100 !

I happily paid an introductory price for the Imperial Airways set, even though I had no need of the Pullman and gave it away. I have since picked up another couple of the High-Window BCKs, otherwise unobtainable in olive. By all means keep watching prices, but I'd have been sorry to miss out!

• RMweb Premium

It certainly seems to be an unusual one, and seems a bit pricey for what it is bearing in mind the ex-Mainline N2 is one of the older locos in the range!

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't do something similar with the fortcoming non-gangwayed coaches (perhaps they will?); it looks more like a King's Cross ECS than a passenger train as it is - just needs about 10 more coaches! :O

• RMweb Premium

It certainly seems to be an unusual one, and seems a bit pricey for what it is bearing in mind the ex-Mainline N2 is one of the older locos in the range!

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't do something similar with the fortcoming non-gangwayed coaches (perhaps they will?); it looks more like a King's Cross ECS than a passenger train as it is - just needs about 10 more coaches! :O

Maybe the choice of Gresley's has something to do with Hornby's delivery problems. Put it this way if there is further slipage in the timescale for the non- corridor suburbans, there is a real risk that the sets would not get onto the shelves early enough as happened with the toy story set.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the choice of Gresley's has something to do with Hornby's delivery problems. Put it this way if there is further slipage in the timescale for the non- corridor suburbans, there is a real risk that the sets would not get onto the shelves early enough as happened with the toy story set.

Which I see is now bring advertised at £37.49 on Hornby's website

• 3 months later...

Just a quick question - has anyone bought one of these, and can they confirm if it has a DCC socket or? The Hornby website and Hattons don't say either way, but I note in the 2011 announcements that the the N2 was having its chassis upgraded.

Has this upgrade only gone as far as having NEM pockets being fitted...?

I am surprised they did not put 2 of the new non-corridor coaches in this pack would have looked much better with the N2.

Or, better still, a special edition of a push-pull fitted pair of the new non-corridor carriages and a Gresley N7*.

*I.e. the round-topped firebox version built by the LNER, as developed from the original Hill Belpaire version.

Archived