'Royal T9' digital disappointment

dibber25

I've waited ages to buy a Hornby T9. Finally took the plunge and bought 119 in malachite green. It is quite beautiful to look at. I fitted a Bachmann 'plug and play' decoder and from the outset the running was as rough as the proverbial badger's ****. It starts with a series of kangaroo leaps, is quite uncontrollable and leaps off the track at its first encounter with a Peco point. Have I got a duff decoder, or a duff loco? Or is there something I haven't done correctly? I suppose the only way to find out is to test both separately, by taking the whole job apart again? Please tell me there's another way! In the same evening I fitted two Lifelike Budd RDCs with TCS decoders - which requires a whole lot of work cutting copper on the PCB and soldering, and they both work like a dream.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

I have two T9's both fitted with TCS chips I have used DP2X & DP2X-UK direct chips for the six & eight wheel tenders and they work fine.

I haven't even changed any CV's yet from the default apart from the ID.

Seems you've something wrong somewhere. Have you another plug-in chip you could try?

Keith

Hi Chris,

I think this link is the one that helped me although it took a while to find. As Trains4u explains in the post, it is a back emf problem and changing CVs 54 and 55 will sort it. I used exactly the values mentioned in the post and this lead to immediate smooth running.

Hope this helps!

Old RMWeb link

I've waited ages to buy a Hornby T9. Finally took the plunge and bought 119 in malachite green. It is quite beautiful to look at. I fitted a Bachmann 'plug and play' decoder and from the outset the running was as rough as the proverbial badger's ****. It starts with a series of kangaroo leaps, is quite uncontrollable and leaps off the track at its first encounter with a Peco point. Have I got a duff decoder, or a duff loco? Or is there something I haven't done correctly? I suppose the only way to find out is to test both separately, by taking the whole job apart again? Please tell me there's another way! In the same evening I fitted two Lifelike Budd RDCs with TCS decoders - which requires a whole lot of work cutting copper on the PCB and soldering, and they both work like a dream.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris,

If you are about on sunday, bring it in and I'll sort it out for you.

adjustments need to be made to CVs 54 and 55

Thanks, Gareth,

I'll try and get across to Fengate tomorrow. In fact, I've succeeded in changing CVs 54 and 55 as suggested and it worked as beautifully as it looks. Then I changed the address - as I've too many British locos with address 3 now - and since I changed the address - NOTHING! I've never had problems changing addresses before but I did forget it was a Bachmann decoder and tried to program a 4-digit address before I remembered that they only take 2-digits.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Gareth,

I'll try and get across to Fengate tomorrow. In fact, I've succeeded in changing CVs 54 and 55 as suggested and it worked as beautifully as it looks. Then I changed the address - as I've too many British locos with address 3 now - and since I changed the address - NOTHING! I've never had problems changing addresses before but I did forget it was a Bachmann decoder and tried to program a 4-digit address before I remembered that they only take 2-digits.

CHRIS LEIGH

Ypu could try a factory reset......with TCS set CV 8 to 2. Your address will be set back to 3 and you will have to re adjust CV 54 and 55 again but then all should be well

Regards from Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

Oops......just realised its a Bachmann chip blush.gif . I dont know if Bachmann chips can have a factory reset....I imagine they do and that will solve the problem.....but the value for CV 8 will be different because it is also the mfrs ID. eg to reset TCS you change CV 8 to 2 whereas with Lenz you change it to 33.

As you can gather my knowledge is based on resetting screw up a number of times!

Bachmann chips (ESU lokpilot basics) can be re-set and they can accept 4-digit addresses.

We'll get to the root of the problem tomorrow, It could be something as simple as programming it to an address other than the one you thought you had programmed it to. (I've done it before)

If you know how to force an address (Usually by programming on a programming track) then have another go at appling an address.

• RMweb Gold

I have also had same problem with Bachmann 3 function decoder i then got a dp2x-uk this does not fit in the 6 wheeled tender any ideas of best decoder to use for this.

matthew

As I had a cheap but bulky Digitrax DH123 on hand, that is what I used, ripping out all the gubbins in the 6-wheel tender and hardwiring. That route may not be for everybody. I suggest you try one or two DCC suppliers' websites, and look for small 1 amp decoders, with 8-pin plug, for which the better sites do supply dimensions. Compare with the dimensions of the decoder that you know fits, and find something affordable that is no larger.

All sorted - many thanks to Gareth at Trains4U for resolving what seems to have been my error in changing the address after I'd reset the CVs successfully. Now it runs very nicely with 7 Hornby Pullmans in tow, although the addition of the Golden Age obo car does bring it to a halt. Must try a Hornby one as the GA car is very heavy.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I then got a dp2x-uk - this does not fit in the 6 wheeled tender.

matthew

Anyone tried the DP2X rather than DP2X-UK? The DP2X has the pins the other way round ("sideways" rather than "lengthways").

Anyone tried the DP2X rather than DP2X-UK? The DP2X has the pins the other way round ("sideways" rather than "lengthways").

Yes, it's my decoder of choice for this particular locomotive. Runs well straight from the pack, though I tend to add a value of 5 to CVs 3 and 4 for customers to smooth out acceleration and deceleration.

Archived