RMweb

Quiet zone: NOT

AndyB

At the risk of being labelled Mr Gumpy, here's something that really bugs me.

Basically, how big a "Quiet zone" sign on the side of a carriage does it have to be for commuters to take heed? For that matter, what kind of "Head phone/Mobile phone sign would people respect. :nono:

I'm prepared to think "big" and if we need to go back to broad gauge to accommodate suitable signage then 7' would get my vote.

What strikes me is that my stress level is actually higher when someone uses a mobile phone/headphones in a quiet zone, than if they did it in any other carriage.

So, it seems to have a stress free® journey the logical thing to do is to avoid quiet zone carriages.

Now, you could say, "Hey, Andy if it means that much to you then you should politely suggest to fellow commuters that they hold their conversations in an alternate carriage."

But to be honest this is so rife that anyone simultaneously challenging up to 10 miscreants in a single carriage would, like as not, be labelled a nutter. Clearly the train staff turn a blind eye to it; no doubt because they don't want any hassle - something I can sympathise with.

Anyway, I'm going to the pub now and having a quiet pint.

Cheers, Andy

What strikes me is that my stress level is actually higher when someone uses a mobile phone/headphones in a quiet zone, than if they did it in any other carriage.

Probably because you're focusing more on the anger (at people flouting the rules and nothing being done about it) than you are on the actual nuisance. Not being judgmental saying this, I do it all the time ;)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid it's the world we live in. If it suits to heed the rules fine, if it doesn't then tough on anyone else. It's the knowledge of no deterrent that perpetuates this behavior, combined with a lack of respect for others. The "Me" society.

Rob

• Like 1

I agree the quite zone should be free from mobiles and other electronic items The guard should confiscate such items.

Terry.

Guard? GUARD?? Whats one of them then - we only get a driver, fat chance he has of sorting out anything inside the passenger section of the train.

Stewart

It was always one of the things that got to me when I was travelling on trains on a regular basis. I always chose the quiet carriage for just that reason.

Come to that, I'm just glad I stopped flying before the onset of mobiles that work in aircraft. It was the only peace and quiet I could get at the time. Mind you it's not just in quiet carriages, if I had my way, I'd ban the bloomin' things in any public space....

Now look what you've done....Mr Grumpy has got out again. :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This grumpy git has confronted people who use mobiles in quiet coaches, and ended up telling somebody that their arrogance was breathtaking, and I was then told to be quiet! Having realised what he'd said, he was somewhat embarrassed.

I challenged a bloke on a train one evening and got a load of abuse. The whole carriage was deeply unimpressed with him but when he asked me if anyone else was bothered, a lone female voice from down the carriage said "I am..."

I then realised that relying on the great British public for support in such situations was utterly pointless and since then, I have not used quiet carriages if I can help it. When I do, I switch my phones to silent and don't answer them.

Probably because you're focusing more on the anger (at people flouting the rules and nothing being done about it) than you are on the actual nuisance. Not being judgmental saying this, I do it all the time ;)

Penine MC, you've most probably hit the nail on the head. Nice one. I'll go and hire a shrink to tell me why, now! :)

Is this a good time to mention people getting on to Southern trains for short hops and flopping down in 1st class when they (highly judgemental statement approaching) obviously would have only a standard class ticket? Why would anyone buy a 1st class ticket ?

Andy

ps, now back from the pub and sipping a 12 y/o single malt. Standby for further insights! :)

Gone to the pub for a quiet pint eh!! Fat chance, i'm fed up being forced to listen to other peoples conversations/ rows,in the pub and most other places. Bring back the phonebox and make people stand in there to phone.......rant over

• RMweb Premium

I assume these people that use mobiles in quiet zones are also the morons that drive with them glued to their ear and sit in a cinema texting all the way through the film. Rules and regulations don't apply to them because they are perfect. You are the one out of order.

Keith

I've also started travelling in the non-quiet coaches again because as with one or two other posters I find it less stressful! In the quiet coach I get supersensitive to the slightest electronic noise so it becomes self-defeating.

I think the signage is often only noticed by those who know it's the quiet carriage already. I've seen many passengers get on and use mobiles in the quiet zone simply because they are unaware that such a place exists and don't 'see' the signs any more than we might not register other signs not relevant to us. In most cases a polite word to them (as I frequently did) was sufficient. But on FGW HSTs between Reading and Paddington? Forget it!

• Like 1

It annoys me too when people use their phones in the quiet carriage ...

Perhaps the question should be, do we really need quiet carriages? I can see the point behind them, but the consequence of them is that too many of my journeys end up with me (and I bet more than few others here) being annoyed and tetchy, and should you remind someone, there's a good chance that that person in turn will be angry, hurt, defensive ...

So all the quiet carriage really does is promote conflict, and rather than promote relaxation - so maybe we should look to abolish them (and along with them all the other petty little rules and regulations that allow us to become annoyed at other people who don't follow them), and in the process, maybe our journey/lives will be a little more noisy or chaotic, but on the other hand, provide us with few opportunities to get angry with each other.

Maybe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The biggest niggle I had, during my first experience of a quiet coach, was the steady stream of tannoy announcements telling us that there was a quiet coach, and how to behave there. At least it drowned out the mobiles.....

More recently I suffered a journey near a large family group with an overtired toddler, who couldn't be pacified, despite their best efforts. Perhaps they were gambling on he child sleeping, but I did wonder whether a quiet coach was the best option for them

Trying not to be grumpy...

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I think the signage is often only noticed by those who know it's the quiet carriage already. I've seen many passengers get on and use mobiles in the quiet zone simply because they are unaware that such a place exists and don't 'see' the signs any more than we might not register other signs not relevant to us.

That was the case last time I used a SWT service out of Waterloo, on a very crowded train, after a long day, the notices weren't that, um, noticeable - until after I'd called SWMBO to tell her I'd be late and don't give my dinner to the dog....but then I've never understood why talking on a mobile at a normal conversational volume is any different to talking to a fellow passenger at the same volume.

but then I've never understood why talking on a mobile at a normal conversational volume is any different to talking to a fellow passenger at the same volume.

It's something to do with the psychology of not being able to hear both sides of the conversation, but I can't explain it further.

• RMweb Premium

It's something to do with the psychology of not being able to hear both sides of the conversation, but I can't explain it further.

It seems to be worse with mobiles than land-line phones. Nearly everybody seems to shout at a mobile when they would speak more normally to an ordinary telephone.

Keith

Guest Max Stafford

It's time 'The Railway' looked at introducing compartment stock again. It would be far easier to isolate morons and vermin from the decent passengers and would also afford privacy for those who desire it.

It would certainly be an attraction to me but I don't really like people after 20 years of dealing with the less affable elements...

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

My betting is on the 'quiet coach' being thought up by some marketing person who has never actually set foot on a train?

- its a good idea in principle but how would you realistically expect it to be enforced, the train crew will have many more important things to deal with and I thnik the days of other passengers wanting to challenge is a thing of the past?

If the train was full would you expect someone to stand in another carriage if they wanted to keep their phone/music on, rather than sitting in a quiet carriage and risk being challenged?

"...The biggest niggle I had, during my first experience of a quiet coach, was the steady stream of tannoy announcements telling us that there was a quiet coach, and how to behave there. At least it drowned out the mobiles....."

You couldn't make it up could you?