SR Station staff uniform colours

pete_mcfarlane

I need to paint a couple of 4mm scale figures in SR uniform for my challenge entry.

Online and in the various books I own there are large numbers of B&W photos of Southern staff in uniform, but I'm struggling to find any details of what colour the uniforms were. Even the SEmG website draws a blank. Can anyone help?

I am a little surprised that nobody has responded to this question yet, as I am sure that there are knowlegable people on this forum that has the answer. I too would like to know the answer.

I suspect that this topic should have been posted in the Special Interest section under The Southern Railway Group where I think an answer may be forthcoming.

Good luck,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

If I couldn't find any specific information on the official colours used, I'd check out colour copies of advertising posters from the grouping period to see if any featured station staff, and use that as a guide. While they could not be considered accurate they would at least give an indication of the uniform colours, and with wear and tear and washing the colours would change over time anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I've not said owt yet because I'm not certain on this detail but I've an idea that like the S&DJtR the Southern issued their staff with red ties (the idea being that they could then be used for a handsignal in an emergency; in a less serious vein I don't know if female staff members were issued with red flannel petticoats).

Thanks - I was vaguely aware of the Sunny South Sam posters but hadn't thought of tracking down a colour copy to use as a reference. I even have a 4mm scale copy on the Tiny Signs SR poster sheet I've bought.

Some digging with Google tracked this better image:

http://www.ssplprints.com/image/80559/brealey-william-ramsden-sunny-south-sam-sr-poster-1939

• RMweb Gold

Although one of the Sunny South Sam posters linked above appears to show a blue uniform the SR guards hat that I own is a very dark almost black charcoal grey it was always my understanding that this was the same colour for all guards and stations staff uniforms.

• RMweb Premium

From a hazy recollection, I don't think any of the Bluebell Railway staff on duty on public running days wear a dark blue uniform, I think they're all black or as you mentioned Graham, a near black grey. I always hope that they have done sufficient research to know about such things. I suppose the only way to find out for sure would be to find the official specifications for the Southern Railway uniforms. First place to try, of course, would be the National Railway Museum, then if not found there maybe the National Archives at Kew. Beyond those two I would try places like the Bluebell but I can't think of any other places that would have the official paperwork.

I seem to recall that whilst at the Mid Hants Railway this past May at Alresford Station all the station staff are dressed in Southern Railway uniforms which are black in colour, or almost black anyway. Very similar to those worn on the Blubell railway. I would think that these two companies had done their research and are using authentic looking S.R. uniforms.

Cheers,

Chris

The final picture inside Brian Haresnape's 'Railway Liveries, Southern Railway' shows a passenger train Guard. (He is pictured standing on a station platform)

His uniform is described as, "Black, with polished metal buttons and Yellow trim and details upon the hat".

Regards.

Archived