Hornby Coronation Class - the biguns!

Saint Johnstoun

Noting that in the recent Model Rail Review of the latest release (black preserved) Duchess of Sutherland Hornby have apparently made an absolute howler of the lower cab side lining.

However the above picture of the Duchess of Buccleuch has a similar double lining arrangement.

Can someone please shed some light on this one?

• RMweb Gold

Very nice - It's gratifying to see that there are like minds about!

Indeedy, I have done the same to 46154 'Hussar' as below and also A4 60033 Seagull complete with modified cut down tender as all three appears on the Southern West of England main line during the 1948 exchange trials.

post-243-0-68225700-1314972138_thumb.jpg

Here is another loco exchanges model I created some years ago. It started life with a replica mechanism which was later scrapped and replaced by a Bachmann one after many problems.

Graham - have you a V2 running on your Southern Layout - I like Salisbury cathedral in the background.

post-4551-0-54744700-1314988347_thumb.jpg

However the above picture of the Duchess of Buccleuch has a similar double lining arrangement.

In volume 3 number 4 of Modellers' Back Track there are several pictures of 6230 in LMS red which show lining as in the picture above, in the same issue a pic of 6233 at Bressingham in 1974 looks to be the same. The lining on the 1846 black livery is not the same but appears to be accurately shown on 46236 above when compared to a clear pic of 6242 in MBT volume 3 number 5.

The lined black on 6233 in 2010 is like this, http://en.wikipedia....Scarborough.jpg

Compared to this http://www.Hornby.com/shop/locomotives/steam-locomotives/r3014-4-6-2-duchess-of-sutherland-princess-coronation-class-lms-black-2010-livery/ its clear Hornby got it wrong.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Graham - have you a V2 running on your Southern Layout - I like Salisbury cathedral in the background.

Hi SJ

As my modelling period is 1946 to 1949 I have not yet added a V2 to the collection as their use was on the Southern Region in April / May 1953 its is a little out of my time frame. However saying that if I see a Bachmann version with the correct style tender I might be tempted......

Thanks for you kind comment about the backscene, I am very fortunate that it ws painted for me by Ron North a talented member of the High Wycombe andn District MRS.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for continuing to go off topic, on the locomotive exchange trails, but for completeness he is a picture of A4 60033 'Seagull' fitted with double chimney and without valances paired with a modifed tender (the raves at the rear cut down to allow clearances for the water cranes at Euston) as she also ran on the Southern in 1948.

post-243-0-81267300-1315142595_thumb.jpg

Seagull also went down to the GWML for trials and apparently after on such trial, the (G)WR Inspector declared "we have nothing to touch this engine".

It did help that she was certainly the best of the A4s - Mallard was always iffy mechanically and Empire of India had an unhealthy tendency to 'hunt' severely at speed.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of trying to get the smell of Garlic into the model of the Seagull as just like Mallard she also failed during the trials on the Southern due to big end issues. SJ yes she is a Bachman version but fitted with a double chimny from 247 Developments. I had been waiting to get hold of a blue version minus valances but might have been better going for a Hornby double chimny model and repainting instead.

As this thread has taken on a Exchange Trials theme then here are a couple more, this time 34004 'Yeovil' with extended smoke deflectors but paired with the standard 4500 gallon tender on her return to the Southern Region and also 34006 'Bude' with the Stanier tender (basically the Hornby model but weathered and cylinder drain pipes added).

post-243-0-79791700-1315227556_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-00300600-1315227396_thumb.jpg

Yes Graham - I really should renumber my Hornby BB with Stanier tender and add a tablet catcher so that it is correct for the Highland line trials when Yeovil left the Caley Bogie winded on Struan bank.

I did a Yeovil years ago using the old Hornby BB paired with a Mainline tender but it passed to other hands years ago too.

I've been asked - how did I do the Coronations?

46236 has a Bachmann WD tender body attached to a DGH chassis from a WD kit I never built.

46243 is a Hornby City of Edinburgh renamed and the tender cut down at the rear.

6249 is a Hornby Duchess of Sutherland with the smoke deflectors removed (you need to secure the handrail with two new handrail knobs fitted to the front of the smokebox), resprayed black, and paired with a streamlined tender which came from another City of Edinburgh.

6230 has had the smoke deflectors removed and handrails modified as above and a cast whitemetal single chimney fitted.

A further black streamliner 6245 was created using the tender from Duchess of Sutherland refitted to a suitable underframe with the cutouts in the frames filled in and the rivetted strips added to the tender side using some rivetted plasticard strip I had around.

post-4551-0-60978400-1315308401_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived