Waton

eldavo

• RMweb Gold

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Too much playing with Abbotstone methinks! Seriously this is going to be good - now you've got all this time on your hands I can see Waton being finished by, um, Tuesday......

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Please sir, my boomerang won't come back.

post-7010-0-47622400-1504637637.jpg

Up to the normal standard of wood bodgery, even the legs of a boomerang turn out different lengths when I make it!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo

• RMweb Premium

After much consideration I've decided the layout doesn't need a lifeboat so the boomerangs and holes are (as some guessed) being used as lighting pelmet supports.

I need to get a wiggle on here as from the photos you can see there is as yet no track in the fiddleyard so it will be tricky to run trains on the 2nd of July!

post-7010-0-23729500-1504637858.jpg

post-7010-0-01888300-1504637873.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lighting pelmet up and running. Now comes the tedious bit of painting it!

post-7010-0-09368500-1504638010.jpg

The tubes don't provide the best of colours for photography but things look OK to the eyeball (I think!).

post-7010-0-48486700-1504638019.jpg

I'm trying to finalise the track plan for the fiddleyard and deperately need to get some track laid. Main challenge is coping with a 2+7 HST set that will need to travel a number of routes. Nearly there (possibly!).

post-7010-0-49157400-1504638027.jpg

Lots to do.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Dave, don't worry, still over a month to go blink.gif

Oh that's alright then. For a minute I was starting to panic. unsure.gif

More progress. The lighting rig has had various splashes of paint and is pretty much ready to roll. Track laying has started in earnest and I am aiming to get 4 fiddleyard roads up and running initially as a starting point. Given that I have only a month to get everything working and I am reliant on the postie coming up with several parcels in short order this will probably be all I can manage.

The curves are very tight. The double track at the western end gets down to around 10 inches on the inner circuit while the Walsall branch gets even tighter. This is not so much trainset curves as narrowgauge! The photo shows an HST set just about negotiating the fast lines while a 66 struggles with the branch. Yes the 66 can cope with that radius under power and pulling short wheelbase stock! Just as well as I have no plan B.

post-7010-0-52075300-1504638165.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 3

My next layout will be 6x4 in N and I am too wondering about storage of a 2+7 hst rake that I am now the proud owner of - it's 52 inches, giving that access to both lines sucks out space for other fiddle yard roads.

Am seriously considering 3 foot cassettes.

With your curves I doubt you'll be seeing a Tornado rail tour through Waton.

• RMweb Premium

Painted.

post-7010-0-14130700-1504638275.jpg

I suppose it needs a curtain now. Hmm, better speak nicely to SWMBO!

No Tornado specials but this fella seems to make it round the largest radius curves. £75 from ebay so rude not to have one. Occasional steam specials will now be the order of the day.

post-7010-0-48028600-1504638291.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Bit more progress. The fiddleyard boards are currently in a state of organised(?) chaos as track is laid. The yard is (will be) split into 4 areas with some interconnection. There is an area that represents Derby and places Northeast(ish), an area that coughs up freight trains going in the Birmingham direction, an area that coughs up freight trains heading towards Leicester and a set of 4 shared loops that provide passenger rakes for the trains going to and from both Leicester and Birmingham. It's these 4 shared loops that I am working on currently.

post-7010-0-43664800-1504638487.jpg

The track is in place(ish) and I thought I ought to check the proposed stock fits. From left to right we have a 2-car 170, a 4-car 220, a 4-car 221 and a 2+7 HST rake (with 3 coaches currently in the post from Liverpool!). Spotting the HST rake into its loop will keep the operators on their toes!

post-7010-0-35951400-1504638500.jpg

Lots more to do...

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In a lull while waiting for more bits of trackwork to arrive I thought I better get on and fit some of the point motors that arrived yesterday. Eight fitted and mostly wired up. Wiring this board has taken me most of today and there are still 16 wires to link between the motor feeds on the tag strips to the D shell sockets. At least I've tested everything and all the motors seem to work and I think I have power fed to everywhere.

post-7010-0-88812900-1504638617.jpg

One board down(ish), three more to go. Right about now I realise I must have been mad to agree to bring a working layout to the 2nd of July bash!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Manic progress continues. The wiring on the first fiddleyard board has now been completed and I'm back to laying track. I need a crossover built from 4 diamond crossings at a steep angle to avoid another horrendously sharp curve. Peco don't do anything suitable but after a tip off from me old mucker PhilH and some research on the interweb I found some Atlas 60 degree crossings that should do the job. Four of these arrived yesterday...

post-7010-0-11330100-1504638756.jpg

Not a job for the feint hearted but take 35 quids worth of brand new trackwork and set to with a razor saw and you get this (hopefully).

post-7010-0-93613900-1504638763.jpg

This should(!) allow the double track heading towards Derby to cross the fiddleyard roads ostensibly going to Leicester and ease the curve (a bit!). Should set another challenge for the operators!

post-7010-0-21657500-1504638774.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 6

Absolutely great work. It's looking very nice indeed. I was amazed at the work on the scenic side and it turns out you're doing just about as much on the fiddle yard too. You're a lot braver than I am to be cutting up that amount of track. I struggle with flexi at times,

Keep the updates coming and I'm sure you'll have it ready for the show.

Tom N.

It's at this point that I feel very, very guilty about saying to Dave I could make the space for the layout with fiddle yard for Members' Do!

However I'm really, really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh and when I saw Dave's pic I'm delighted we'll get to see it in this form.

lighting_3Jun11.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It's at this point that I feel very, very guilty about saying to Dave I could make the space for the layout with fiddle yard for Members' Do! ...

Get outa here. There's only one nutter round here.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At last I've finished wiring up fiddleyard boards. It's taken me a week or more! The last one was the most complex with 9 point motors and 12 power sections.

post-7010-0-00060500-1504639573.jpg

The fiddleyard is now as far as it's going to get before the 2nd of July outing. Several lines have yet to be laid but we'll live without them temporarily. I have a problem with the alignment of the curve leaving the scenic section headed for Derby but I don't have time to relay it so it will be subject to engineering works and trains will be diverted! I have the 4 shared lines down plus 2 lines in each of the Eastbound and Westbound yards so should be able to run a reasonable variety of services on the Leicester-Birmingham route and maybe the odd service to Walsall.

post-7010-0-96856100-1504639565.jpg

I suppose I better get on and build a control panel as I have only got 9 days left where I can work on the layout! No panic then.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 1